LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Ben Boulware, LB (Clemson)

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I had this guy in my mock, and was a bit disappointed we didn't draft him. I hope we can get him on the 53 somehow because he won't on the PS for long, and once he's on a roster he'll never see the PS again.

Instincts are one thing, speed is another. This defense is built for speed. I can see him play on base downs, and short yardage, but not the 3rd and longs. I'm half and half with this guy. If he's that slow, might as well get a DE to play the LB spot. From a speed standpoint you get the same thing and a couple of other pluses. Such as it's a bigger body, and just as slow and more powerful at the point of attack.
I get scheme fit due to speed. I can tell you this though: what he put on film showed that "speed" didn't stop him from making plays. Speed didn't stop him from absolutely owning Alabama, who had NO answers for him (a team always touted for, among other things, their speed). He plays fast, and he was always in the right place when he needs to be. That makes up for speed. I just think getting caught up on measurables over the actual production a player put on film is a real mistake many NFL talent evaluators (and fans) make, and IMHO that's what's going on with Boulware.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Sep 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I had this guy in my mock, and was a bit disappointed we didn't draft him. I hope we can get him on the 53 somehow because he won't on the PS for long, and once he's on a roster he'll never see the PS again.

Instincts are one thing, speed is another. This defense is built for speed. I can see him play on base downs, and short yardage, but not the 3rd and longs. I'm half and half with this guy. If he's that slow, might as well get a DE to play the LB spot. From a speed standpoint you get the same thing and a couple of other pluses. Such as it's a bigger body, and just as slow and more powerful at the point of attack.
I get scheme fit due to speed. I can tell you this though: what he put on film showed that "speed" didn't stop him from making plays. Speed didn't stop him from absolutely owning Alabama, who had NO answers for him (a team always touted for, among other things, their speed). He plays fast, and he was always in the right place when he needs to be. That makes up for speed. I just think getting caught up on measurables over the actual production a player put on film is a real mistake many NFL talent evaluators (and fans) make, and IMHO that's what's going on with Boulware.

Well, to negate instinct - all an OC will do is force him to use his speed. I can see an OC going 4 wide on first down with this guy in the lineup. Now he'll be forced to either blitz or cover and instinct or not, I'd rather not see him drop back in pass coverage and if he's that slow, it will take forever for him to blitz and get to the QB. Not saying he is a bad player, but him in the middle as an LB will force a dramatic defensive scheme change that might require major changes in the base defense that might not be what they want to do from an overall design point of view. I'm cheering for all the practice squad players, and for him, but I can see him only in a very limited role on this team with those speed deficiencies.
who tf is peter boulware?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by post_primitive:

greatest practice squad LB there ever was. That's who.

Gonna peter out
He has a shot to work his way into being the base, backup MLB. Dont be talking about him in nickel and bs lol.

Its a great tire kicker. Him and McNichols.

A better version of Ahmad Brooks.
Can we just change the f**king thread name already lol.. This is not one of those webzone inside joke moments.
Can someone post a picture of the actual peter boulware. That would be funny. This is obviously the peter boulware thread (clemson) haha
Originally posted by teylo31:
Can someone post a picture of the actual peter boulware. That would be funny. This is obviously the peter boulware thread (clemson) haha

Was a great SAM/OLB.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Can we just change the f**king thread name already lol.. This is not one of those webzone inside joke moments.

This. Change the title on your goddamn thread, 9moon.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Mods coulda done this s**t lol. Pretty sure a few commented in here
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Mods coulda done this s**t lol. Pretty sure a few commented in here

I guess he's leaving it like that, because he thinks it's funny or something.
Originally posted by zonkers:

A better version of Ahmad Brooks.

Lol!
Gotta root for anyone with a great beard!
Share 49ersWebzone