LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Protest idea? NFL related

Shop 49ers game tickets
I was thinking about the protest "controversy" during the national anthem and I feel like there is a much better way to accomplish the same thing. I don't know how to get the suggestion to the main protesters in the NFL (this probably won't help) but why not get my thoughts out there.

I feel like the main issue at hand (knee) for the people that aren't against what people are protesting for but how they choose to do it. Some people see it as offensive to soldiers and love/patriotic feelings towards the country.

Here is my solution:

Both teams (or groups of players from both sides) huddle and take a knee at midfield right after half time as the first play starts. Both teams will get a penalty (a slap on the wrist), this will be visible, the game won't be impacted and announcers/ESPN will still talk about why the players are doing it. To me, this accomplishes the same things the players want while not offending the anthem supporters.

Thoughts?
  • thl408
I think that favors the defense because then it will be 2nd down & 10. If the 49ers kick off to start the second half I am all for it.

edit: Unless you mean first play as in the kickoff, then if the 49ers receive to open the second half I am all for it. I think getting the ball at the opponents 35 yard line is a nice advantage. Pretty much in field goal range to start the half.
[ Edited by thl408 on Aug 18, 2017 at 9:52 AM ]
how about they do something off the field that doesn't get grouped together as a protest?
Originally posted by gored49:
I was thinking about the protest "controversy" during the national anthem and I feel like there is a much better way to accomplish the same thing. I don't know how to get the suggestion to the main protesters in the NFL (this probably won't help) but why not get my thoughts out there.

I feel like the main issue at hand (knee) for the people that aren't against what people are protesting for but how they choose to do it. Some people see it as offensive to soldiers and love/patriotic feelings towards the country.

Here is my solution:

Both teams (or groups of players from both sides) huddle and take a knee at midfield right after half time as the first play starts. Both teams will get a penalty (a slap on the wrist), this will be visible, the game won't be impacted and announcers/ESPN will still talk about why the players are doing it. To me, this accomplishes the same things the players want while not offending the anthem supporters.

Thoughts?

Now you are impacting the game on the field. I'm 100% against the kneeling but maybe that's the military in me. I'm just curious as to what these athletes do the 6 1/2 other days of the week to further their cause and create awareness. Serious question not being a smartass. I havent heard anything other than kneeling during the National Anthem. Their platform is always their but i only hear about it their efforts dying the 3 minute salute to our country
Originally posted by thl408:
I think that favors the defense because then it will be 2nd down & 10. If the 49ers kick off to start the second half I am all for it.

edit: Unless you mean first play as in the kickoff, then if the 49ers receive to open the second half I am all for it. I think getting the ball at the opponents 35 yard line is a nice advantage. Pretty much in field goal range to start the half.

Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly. If it is at kickoff, wouldn't both teams get a penalty for not being lined up in the correct spot? If so, those would offset and the ball would remain at the same spot.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
how about they do something off the field that doesn't get grouped together as a protest?

I know some people would prefer the game not be political at all but that doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon. This just seems like a better alternative then possibly offending veterans that see it as an attack on what they fought for and potentially for what they lost (I know some veterans support the protest but using this as an example). These players want to use their status to make a protest visible.
  • thl408

Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly. If it is at kickoff, wouldn't both teams get a penalty for not being lined up in the correct spot? If so, those would offset and the ball would remain at the same spot.
You're probably right. Offsetting delay of game penalties? It would take 100% buy in from all 22 players of the special teams. Normally ST players aren't in a position to stir up criticism since there are guys at the bottom of the roster.
Originally posted by teylo31:

Here is my solution:

Thoughts?

Now you are impacting the game on the field. I'm 100% against the kneeling but maybe that's the military in me. I'm just curious as to what these athletes do the 6 1/2 other days of the week to further their cause and create awareness. Serious question not being a smartass. I havent heard anything other than kneeling during the National Anthem. Their platform is always their but i only hear about it their efforts dying the 3 minute salute to our country

I don't think this would impact the game because of the offsetting penalties.

I can't know what people do outside of football or their motivations, but my guess is that just the visibility and discussion would be their argument on the benefits on such an action.

You're probably right. Offsetting delay of game penalties? It would take 100% buy in from all 22 players of the special teams. Normally ST players aren't in a position to stir up criticism since there are guys at the bottom of the roster.

Would it though? I think only one player could create a delay of game. If you are right though, maybe have some bench players come on so both teams get the extra man penalty (more than 11 on both sides)?

I know some people would prefer the game not be political at all but that doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon. This just seems like a better alternative then possibly offending veterans that see it as an attack on what they fought for and potentially for what they lost (I know some veterans support the protest but using this as an example). These players want to use their status to make a protest visible.
its not even political anymore. the people who are sitting now are sitting for Kaep being so called black balled and not for trigger happy cops

Here is my solution:

Thoughts?

So even people who don't care about this nonsense are now forced to participate?

How about just leave this crap out of football? If they want to protest, they can, just not on the football field. Want to freak out about racism in the post game interview? Be my guest, that's your personal time. When you're in uniform and on the field, though, there is ZERO room for politics.
its not even political anymore. the people who are sitting now are sitting for Kaep being so called black balled and not for trigger happy cops

To me that still sounds political but I get your point and I'm not going to argue.

My argument is that if protests are going to happen (even if you disagree with them), wouldn't this be a better option and not offend certain groups in regards to the flag/anthem while the protesters still accomplish their goal even if you don't agree with the message?
Originally posted by beatherhard:
So even people who don't care about this nonsense are now forced to participate?

How about just leave this crap out of football? If they want to protest, they can, just not on the football field. Want to freak out about racism in the post game interview? Be my guest, that's your personal time. When you're in uniform and on the field, though, there is ZERO room for politics.

I actually agree with your opinion and wish we could only focus on football because football should be a distraction from the real world. The truth is that doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. As I said in my other posts, I consider this a better option while achieving the same goal.

I don't think it would force anyone to participate. I think you only need at least 2 people to accomplish this (one from each team). It will impact everyone with a minute or so wasted for the delay of game but some might consider that a win versus what some people see as attacking the flag.
I suggest all opposing teams punt to us on 1st down. We don't have to because of the sacrifices we made watching Kaep play.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 18, 2017 at 10:51 AM ]
I hate racism of any sort. But since when is the football field the place to solve social and racial injustice?
I love what Kap has done collecting donations and sending food and supplies to needy areas and I think that speaks more and isn't as controversial and is well accepted rather than doing it during the anthem
They wanna protest on the field? Do it after the game while others gather and kneel and pray
In a perfect world, people wouldn't be up in arms over the protest but in a perfect world there would be no reason.
I don't know what the answer is but I don't think anyone's mind is being changed during a football game. Supporters are gonna applaud and those who are upset with it will still complain.
To quote Rodney King. Can't we all just get along?
Share 49ersWebzone