LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 170 users in the forums

CTE and the possible long term effect on football

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jcs:
Players may retire earlier after getting paid but I don't see it having a long term effect today with regards to the supply of players that are dreaming of becoming a professional athlete and all that comes with that.

I agree. The NFL has been favoring the passing game, so there'll still be a lot of skill players willing to take the risk. As for the more physical positions, IMO the physically superior players (freak measurements, peak fitness) will still take the risk because they see themselves atop the foodchain. It's the undersized or borderline players that'll reconsider or shorten their careers.

Though, at the lower levels, my guess is kids who veer away from football will get into baseball, as that has a decent chance at landing a payday. Maybe basketball if they are taller than 6'2'' or soccer if they are ultra athletic.
Football is going back to being a poor mans sport, all they are doing is scaring the little spoiled rich kids into choosing tennis, golf, and lacrosse over the grid iron. So it won't affect much and the NFL knows it.
a good poll would be who prevously wanted their kids / future kids playing football prior to CTE reports, and have now done a complete 180 .
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

If flag was the only form of football left...

Would you watch it, or choose another sport to follow?

Imo it'd be pretty damn good with elite athletes playing. I could even see it at the Olympics.

Hopefully it never comes to that, but tbh it feels like all collision sports are at the crossroads.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
a good poll would be who prevously wanted their kids / future kids playing football prior to CTE reports, and have now done a complete 180 .

http://www.vocativ.com/298019/youth-football-participation-is-plummeting/
Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:

Imo it'd be pretty damn good with elite athletes playing. I could even see it at the Olympics.

Hopefully it never comes to that, but tbh it feels like all collision sports are at the crossroads.

I wouldn't watch it, it's just not my thing. 7on7 is a great for developing the passing game but alone it can get pretty boring. To tell you the truth, over the past 3 years I havent watched the NFL like I used to. I watch all 49ers games but I would actually prefer college games over the NFL games for the most part.

Maybe this is because the niners are so bad, cause when Harbaugh was here I watched a ton of NFL games outside of just 49er games.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

http://www.vocativ.com/298019/youth-football-participation-is-plummeting/

I expected a drop early but not that much
Originally posted by English:
99% is a SMH. I can see how the stats are, maybe, being spun but the figure is still more than frightening. Changes are probably coming. Rugby as well.

Not being spun, as it can be accurately diagnosed. The reason the percentage is so high in this study is it was ex players families that asked for the test, so they knew there were already symptoms. So it is skewed from that POV.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by English:
99% is a SMH. I can see how the stats are, maybe, being spun but the figure is still more than frightening. Changes are probably coming. Rugby as well.

Not being spun, as it can be accurately diagnosed. The reason the percentage is so high in this study is it was ex players families that asked for the test, so they knew there were already symptoms. So it is skewed from that POV.

That's a good point.
Found a solution for this!

I wouldn't watch it, it's just not my thing. 7on7 is a great for developing the passing game but alone it can get pretty boring. To tell you the truth, over the past 3 years I havent watched the NFL like I used to. I watch all 49ers games but I would actually prefer college games over the NFL games for the most part.

Maybe this is because the niners are so bad, cause when Harbaugh was here I watched a ton of NFL games outside of just 49er games.

same boat as you. but it's less to do with Niners sucking and just that football has gotten worse. i've been more of a fan of the NBA in the last couple of years, and that's never been the case. basketball is supposed to be the more skilled sport, you want to go "uh and ah" during an NBA game, but you want to go "OOOH" during a football game. and that's been taken out of the game, the "you got jacked up" segments are gone, because nobody gets jacked up anymore, and if they do it's followed by a fine and a suspension.

football is supposed to be a psychical sport, and it's not entertaining when you see a proper wrap up tackle at the waist. it's the equivalent of a chest pass in basketball. and that's the main issue. it's hard to sit here and clap and cheer for a guy who just concussed another guy with a vicious hit, because now we know what that can mean. it's barbaric, and it's hard to cheer on now, but at the same time, it's what made football great. anybody who says they want to watch football for the nice passes and sweet cutbacks are lying, you want to see the big hits, the physicality.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:

same boat as you. but it's less to do with Niners sucking and just that football has gotten worse. i've been more of a fan of the NBA in the last couple of years, and that's never been the case. basketball is supposed to be the more skilled sport, you want to go "uh and ah" during an NBA game, but you want to go "OOOH" during a football game. and that's been taken out of the game, the "you got jacked up" segments are gone, because nobody gets jacked up anymore, and if they do it's followed by a fine and a suspension.

football is supposed to be a psychical sport, and it's not entertaining when you see a proper wrap up tackle at the waist. it's the equivalent of a chest pass in basketball. and that's the main issue. it's hard to sit here and clap and cheer for a guy who just concussed another guy with a vicious hit, because now we know what that can mean. it's barbaric, and it's hard to cheer on now, but at the same time, it's what made football great. anybody who says they want to watch football for the nice passes and sweet cutbacks are lying, you want to see the big hits, the physicality.

forgot to mention all the penalties now. it's such a joke.
I honestly wonder how many soccer players get concussions? Has to be quite a bit because there's some major impact of heading a ball that has been kicked from 50 yards away. My kid's youth soccer is starting to crack down on it and not allowing headers at all.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 31, 2017 at 4:40 PM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/01/18/boston-university-study-repetitive-hits-head-not-concussions-cte/1043489001/

"A Boston University study published Thursday detailed the strongest link yet that repetitive hits to the head -- not just those that produce a concussion -- can lead to the debilitating brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). "

• jcs
  • Veteran
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24436462/richie-incognito-charged-making-threats

"According to a police report released Tuesday, Incognito entered Messinger Pinnacle Peak Mortuary and began acting erratically around four employees. Police were called when Incognito made his hand into the shape of a gun and told one of the employees he had a "truck full of guns" in the parking lot.
Police later found two Glock pistols, a handgun silencer and three rifles in Incognito's vehicle. He told police he had necessary permits for the weapons.
According to police, Incognito "appeared to lack concentration and was unable to maintain a coherent thought. Rather, he appeared to ramble about numerous things that did not correlate."
Police also noted Incognito's "moods were erratic as he would be very respectful toward [the] officer at one point, and [then] immediately raise his voice and demand to be let out of the handcuffs the next.""
Share 49ersWebzone