There are 187 users in the forums

The official: What questions do you have about Football thread?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Morgan49:
Why the switch to the 4-3?

Good one. I shall be interested to read what the experts say. I would guess it s something to do with our losing the quality linebackers that suited the 3-4, and as the 3-4 gets more popular it is probably easier to pick up 4-3 players in the draft. That being said, of course, both the 3-4 and the 4-3 seem to keep evolving anyway.
But wouldnt a 3-4 be more ideal and versatile in the now pass happy league?

Good one. I shall be interested to read what the experts say. I would guess it s something to do with our losing the quality linebackers that suited the 3-4, and as the 3-4 gets more popular it is probably easier to pick up 4-3 players in the draft. That being said, of course, both the 3-4 and the 4-3 seem to keep evolving anyway.

It seems to me that the answer to your question is, whichever deployment gets someone through to the QB first. I don't know if that is necessarily 3-4.

It seems to me that the answer to your question is, whichever deployment gets someone through to the QB first. I don't know if that is necessarily 3-4.

I think it's a lot simpler than all this, and doesn't really have anything to do with any of these reasons.

Instead, the 9ers switched to the Seahawks' twist on the 4-3 for two reasons:

1) Saleh runs the Seahawks' version of the 4-3 and he's the guy who was available. They also pursued 3-4 guys like Fangio and Flores (from the Pats), but for different reasons didn't end up with them. Long story short, the 9ers are running a 4-3 because the defensive coordinator they ended up with coaches a 4-3.

2) A little bit of it could also be that Shanahan is a first time head coach coming from the offensive side of the ball, and is coming from a team (the Falcons) that runs the Seahawks' version of the 4-3. He's not familiar with working on the defensive side, so this defense also maybe gives him something he's familiar with.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
I think it's a lot simpler than all this, and doesn't really have anything to do with any of these reasons.

1) Saleh runs the Seahawks' version of the 4-3 and he's the guy who was available. They also pursued 3-4 guys like Fangio and Flores (from the Pats), but for different reasons didn't end up with them. Long story short, the 9ers are running a 4-3 because the defensive coordinator they ended up with coaches a 4-3.

2) A little bit of it could also be that Shanahan is a first time head coach coming from the offensive side of the ball, and is coming from a team (the Falcons) that runs the Seahawks' version of the 4-3. He's not familiar with working on the defensive side, so this defense also maybe gives him something he's familiar with.

You may be right but let me ask you another question. If we still had the Willis and Bowman combination, with Brooks and Smith at OLB, don't you think Saleh would adjust to fit them?
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?

You may be right but let me ask you another question. If we still had the Willis and Bowman combination, with Brooks and Smith at OLB, don't you think Saleh would adjust to fit them?
If we had all those guys and a great NT and solid back up I think he'd have to. Lol
I live in Orange County CA., the weather is perfect and the parks are full of boys and girls playing............Soccer. The goal posts have nets in front of them and the yard markers have been erased by soccer lines. I never see kids practicing or even playing touch football, nothing. Very disturbing, if this isn't the beginning of the end I don't know what is.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I live in Orange County CA., the weather is perfect and the parks are full of boys and girls playing............Soccer. The goal posts have nets in front of them and the yard markers have been erased by soccer lines. I never see kids practicing or even playing touch football, nothing. Very disturbing, if this isn't the beginning of the end I don't know what is.

children of millennials are even softer than their parents.

I think if upon entry the 9ers D was stocked with 3-4 talent that KS/JL felt good about, it's probably just less likely that they'd hire a 4-3 defensive coach to begin with.
How do you know which team has the ball on offense?

Willis at Mike, Bowman at WILL, Brooks at SAM, Smith at LEO.

imo, 4-3 switch was dumb and out of desperation. we are much better suited to run a 3-4, especially with AA / Buckner as our DEs. LBs seem better suited for that as well. time will tell i guess, but the fact that we don't have the Leo, the most important position on that 4-3, (besides the signal callers) is a big issue.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Jun 1, 2017 at 4:57 PM ]
Switch to the dime and play the pass.

We can't blitz for crap anyways.

So weak when these guys go in for the blitz ,get stalled as the qb has an extra minute to pass.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
What happened to Ginno Carmazzi?
What is that brown oblong shaped thing called?
Originally posted by ninerjok:
What is that brown oblong shaped thing called?

Jerry Jones.
Share 49ersWebzone