There are 161 users in the forums

Before You Complain About the Niners taking So Many Defensive Players...

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
There we have it, self-admitted bias.

It's bias on our behalf too. There's never 1 way correct way to build but I do know Hoyer throwing to Garcon, Goodwin behind a sub par line is not going to come close to our 1980's offense. I wish we hit offense up 1st since it's harder and takes longer to build but it is what it is.

It is like people have forgotten about the heyday of the 49ers? May be they are too young? May be they weren't even born? People are like taking guys like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, etc for granted. They must have forgotten what got us there. Just unbelievable. Defense this, defense that. In 2012, we had a top 3 D and where did that get us? Certainly not the Super Bowl. LOL.

Can't blame any of that on the defense. More like kap kept doing the same failed play over and over when he needed to make it count. I like building the defense, that's where the games are won. Look at the Ravens first superbowl, They had a putrid offense.

You just contradicted yourself. I didn't blame the D if you had read what I wrote properly. What I said was a top 3 D still might not guarantee you success if you don't have a good enough O. You said it yourself, Kap wasn't good enough which in essence meant the O wasn't good enough.

One could argue that both the 2012 and 2013 49ers offenses held more talent than 2013 and 2014 Seahawks offenses and in both cases we were looking at top defensive teams.

Alright, is time to put a stop to this senseless debate when is so obvious the way to go is offense.

Don't agree with me? All you have to do is take a look into history. At this point, I would rather confine the discussion with fellow Webzoners who are actually old enough to have lived through the Super Bowl years in the 80s. Because unless you had actually experienced it for yourself, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice are just names and you probably wouldn't fully appreciate what a true great offense actually means. Just my guess, since is absolutely inexplicable why so many people believe the 9ers should just focus on the D other than they are just biased on defense.

Right, so let's get to it. OK, so we have won 5 x Super Bowls to date right? Does anyone of you have any idea how the teams in every single one of those 5 years looked like? One easy way of looking at it is to examine the state of the team on each side of the ball. It is actually pretty simple and blatantly obvious why we were so successful once you take a look at the rankings:

Offense - 13th
Defense - 27th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 19th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 26th

Offense - 1st
Defense - 25th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 21st

So, as you can see, apart from 1981 when Joe Montana was only beginning to come into his own and when Jerry Rice hadn't even arrived yet, our offense had never ranked lower than 2nd. Let me repeat, our offense had NEVER ranked lower than 2nd in those 4 years!!

Then, you contrast that with our defense. Our D had never ranked higher than 19th in those 5 years. While granted our D did punch above its weight, but the 49ers back then were known for its offensive prowess and by the way it worked too since we have the hardware to prove it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying defense is not important. As I have said in my previous posts, of course in the perfect world you would strive to have the No.1 O as well as D, but as we all know that is next to impossible in the salary cap era. What is important though is at least you need to have balance. Because no matter how great your D is, they will never be able to put enough points on the board if your offense totally sucks. We tried in 2012 and our D was ranked 3rd in the league and we couldn't get it done.

So, in sum, I shall hope may be people will finally wake up and actually think about what our team should look like going forward drawing from 9ers' successful case studies in the past.

This isn't about whether you prefer defense or offense, it is about what actually works and what will get us back there again!!

Offense - 13th
Defense - 27th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 19th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 26th

Offense - 1st
Defense - 25th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 21st

Where did you get these defensive rankings? They are not correct.

Defensive ranking in SB years:

1981 -- 2nd
1984 -- 10th
1988 -- 3rd
1989 -- 4th
1994 -- 8th

Top 10 defense all those years, three of those years they were Top 5. Defense was very important to their run, as was the offense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/
With the salary cap the days of build top 5 o and d's are pretty much over with. As much as people want to look at our old blueprints it's out the window. You got to build both sides up still but you're either going to have an offensive or defensive identity. You can win with either too. With Shanny I'd bet on o but not my call.
With the salary cap the days of build top 5 o and d's are pretty much over with. As much as people want to look at our old blueprints it's out the window. You got to build both sides up still but you're either going to have an offensive or defensive identity. You can win with either too. With Shanny I'd bet on o but not my call.

This is true. In 2016 there wasn't a single team that ranked top 5 in both offense and defense, and only two (NE and AZ) that ranked top 10 in both.

With Shanahan on board I think in time we'll be an offensive team, but it depends what talent we happen to accumulate. Top 5 on both sides rarely happens anymore, but we can still get pretty good balance.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
There we have it, self-admitted bias.

It's bias on our behalf too. There's never 1 way correct way to build but I do know Hoyer throwing to Garcon, Goodwin behind a sub par line is not going to come close to our 1980's offense. I wish we hit offense up 1st since it's harder and takes longer to build but it is what it is.

It is like people have forgotten about the heyday of the 49ers? May be they are too young? May be they weren't even born? People are like taking guys like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, etc for granted. They must have forgotten what got us there. Just unbelievable. Defense this, defense that. In 2012, we had a top 3 D and where did that get us? Certainly not the Super Bowl. LOL.

Can't blame any of that on the defense. More like kap kept doing the same failed play over and over when he needed to make it count. I like building the defense, that's where the games are won. Look at the Ravens first superbowl, They had a putrid offense.

Cant blame any of that on the defense. Are you nuts? Yeah, lets blame Kaepernick for not winning the Superbowl when our defense gave up 29.7 ppg those playoffs.

I swear people go to any length to discredit Kaepernick, while constantly rewriting history. SMFH.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Offense - 13th
Defense - 27th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 19th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 26th

Offense - 1st
Defense - 25th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 21st

1981 -- 2nd
1984 -- 10th
1988 -- 3rd
1989 -- 4th
1994 -- 8th

Top 10 defense all those years, three of those years they were Top 5. Defense was very important to their run, as was the offense.

That 94 defense was one of my favorites. I was like no f**king way they were 21st...
Originally posted by dwy621:
Antonio Brown was picked in the 6th round and he is arguably one of the best WR in the NFL. We just need coaches that can coach.

Who calls the Steelers draft, year after year they come up top receivers.
Originally posted by JBrack:

Offense - 13th
Defense - 27th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 19th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 26th

Offense - 1st
Defense - 25th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 21st

1981 -- 2nd
1984 -- 10th
1988 -- 3rd
1989 -- 4th
1994 -- 8th

That 94 defense was one of my favorites. I was like no f**king way they were 21st...

Thought the same thing - Deon, Eric Davis, Ken Norton jr. Bryant Young, Dana Stubblefield, Merton Hanks(had 7 INT's that year).

81 too, that defense was a MONSTER
Originally posted by JBrack:
Deion was here in '94. Our secondary was scary as hell and we had Young and Stubblefield on the line. So yeah, that's off.
I don't get why anyone would be mad we went defense. Did people watch the games last year? We had the worst defense by far and one of the worst run defenses in NFL history. We responded by getting the two best run defenders in the draft. Foster also excels in coverage, while Thomas excels as a pass rusher. These were grandslam picks.
We needed to start with D. The D will allow you to maybe win tight games and get the call back to the O.

People like O (QB, WR,) because a lot of them want the flash and dash. It is something that is measurable. The D is like the OL, no glory unless it is not doing its job.

Lol @ rascal with those D stats.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Offense - 13th
Defense - 27th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 19th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 26th

Offense - 1st
Defense - 25th

Offense - 2nd
Defense - 21st

1981 -- 2nd
1984 -- 10th
1988 -- 3rd
1989 -- 4th
1994 -- 8th

Good post. I still remember Eric Wright or one of our DB's tackling the WR danny white threw to at the last second to seal our first super bowl win. And who can forget the Goal line stand against Pete Johnson. As for our super bowl loss. We had Justin Smith at less than 50% with that torn pectorial. I think that was one of the factors of us losing against Baltimore.
Share 49ersWebzone