LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Before You Complain About the Niners taking So Many Defensive Players...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't get why anyone would be mad we went defense. Did people watch the games last year? We had the worst defense by far and one of the worst run defenses in NFL history. We responded by getting the two best run defenders in the draft. Foster also excels in coverage, while Thomas excels as a pass rusher. These were grandslam picks.

Also had a bottom 5 offense with Chip f'n Kelly running the show and have had 1 above average offense since Mooch left. Sorry just sick of the Baalke build. I do like what we did on d though.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 29, 2017 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Wasn't t.o. picked like 89th overall?

And Brady was picked in the 6th you can always find anomalies. The odds that Burbridge turns into TO is .00001%.

Antonio Brown was picked in the 6th round and he is arguably one of the best WR in the NFL. We just need coaches that can coach.
Yeah, that's why I'm upset we reached on Beathard. Brady was a 6th round pick too. We coulda waited til the 6th and got our FQB.
You need a great defense to win. This team needs tons of stuff. This year was fix the defense. Next draft they can look at offense. It will take multiple years to fix this disaster of a roster. You can't fix it in one. No way. I think we did really well. I have no problem with this draft. More drafts like this will fix the franchise.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by dwy621:
Antonio Brown was picked in the 6th round and he is arguably one of the best WR in the NFL. We just need coaches that can coach.

The coach doesn't turn sh into gold. If that was the case Kelly would of been great last year or Shanny wouldn't have ran sh offenses in Wsh and Clv. There's guys that fall between the cracks and some can spot them out or their system maximizes their value but to for every Antonio Brown there's a 100 bums. Shanny has only ran good offenses working with elite talent like Andre Johnson, Julio Jones nd that's the point. The odds of find that in the 5th is slim to nil.
kelly is a horrible hc to compare with. NFL has chewed him up and figured him out, shanny on the other hand in on the up and up running things like an actual pro coach.
I don't mind our draft. It could be worse, we could be Seattle and drafting 3 safeties late in a desperate attempt to hedge against losing cam c.

80% (roughly) of their sacks were off of the edges. Let's draft a center.

- Pete C
[ Edited by PacTiger on Apr 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM ]
The only mild complaint I have or had is arguably the two most critical athletic positions in this defense is the leo and FS which we didn't address. I do recognize we added two potentially great players in positions of need. I'm cool with that.
I agree when we were at our best we had a Top 5-10 D, even in 2014 with Fangio, with 2nd/3rd stringers, then 2015 an 2016 came, and we're supposed to be better on Offense, didn't happen, we're better off building a killer defense, then look at offense, plus you can't turn everything around in 1 offseason.
Originally posted by jcs:
kelly is a horrible hc to compare with. NFL has chewed him up and figured him out, shanny on the other hand in on the up and up running things like an actual pro coach.

Shanny is a great coach he's still ran sh offenses without talent. See Clv and Wsh. Or was he just figured out? Maybe Kelly was figured out but with the crap he had here who knows.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Much rather we go ham on defense first. One or two superstars can make an offense but defense needs depth.
Originally posted by Jasta:
Much rather we go ham on defense first. One or two superstars can make an offense but defense needs depth.

Offense takes longer to build especially if we miss out on Cousins. It make take years to develop Beadhart or the next qb.

• titan
  • Veteran
The only people I don't want replaced is Staley and Bowman. Every position is up for grabs!!!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You need a great defense to win. This team needs tons of stuff. This year was fix the defense. Next draft they can look at offense. It will take multiple years to fix this disaster of a roster. You can't fix it in one. No way. I think we did really well. I have no problem with this draft. More drafts like this will fix the franchise.

This. We had a very nice offseason with the free agency & draft. Now we use this year to see who fits, what positions need upgrades & we have the ammo to get whatever we need to next year!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Heck !! I love the fact that we drafted more DLs... this only means that The Lynch Mob saw too many softies on our DLs that he rather pays players who will be on the line up rather than watching the ones w/potentials walkin around on the sideline because of some baby crap injuries or an overweight slob!!
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
People have such short memories. The Niners were in a completely unique situation we lost 4 pro-bowl caliber players all in one offseason. We lost Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and Chris Borland all in one offseason. Teams just don't suffer that type of attrition talent-wise and conduct business as usual when it comes to the draft. So it was necessary for this team to be aggressive when it came to rebuilding the front 7. We basically became an expansion team overnight.

So please put things in perspective. There were no normal drafts for us after Harbaugh left.

People do have short memories. They remember we have had terrible defenses the past few years. But EVEN more people forgot we have had terrible OFFENSES for the past few years. Are you actually acting as if our offense was decent and ONLY our defense was crap?

Does anyone remember we used to have offensive weapons like Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Terrell Owens?
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 30, 2017 at 7:59 PM ]
Hoo complained?
Share 49ersWebzone