There are 207 users in the forums

Charlie Garner's post-football life ruled by fear as his brain fails him

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
This is the sort of thing that needs to be born in mind when people complain about the pussification of the game and how it is turning into flag football.

Agree

I have nothing to negative to say when a player calls it quits.

Even Borland.

I see this situation getting a whole lot worse before it gets better.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Football as we know it may be dead in 50 years.

I think you are correct.

One thing for sure, it can't keep going the way it is.

Something will have to change.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by future8ringteam:
In some alternate realities, the NFL in 2017, 2018, 2019 ,2020s is way more violent and lawless than it was in our reality in the 1960s and 1970s. I am serious. Multiverse. In a few alternate reality versions of the NFL, in 2017, 2018, 2019 ,2020s players get pentalized for NOT doing helmet to helmet hits (wow!!!)

In some alternate realities, Garrison Hearst didn't get hurt in the 1998 playoffs and stayed the 49ers starting running back for most if not all of the 1999 ,2000 seasons and beyond. Eagles should have kept Charlie Garner until they found a real running back instead of going all in on Brian Westbrook.

In some alternate realities, in 2017 ,2018 ,2019 etc Charlie Garner (in his 40s) is the starting running back for the Baltimore Ravens. I am serious. Prove me I'm wrong bros.

I can't imagine why anyone would let their kid play knowing what we do now. What Garner is going through seems beyond miserable and it will only get worse.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I can't imagine why anyone would let their kid play knowing what we do now. What Garner is going through seems beyond miserable and it will only get worse.

Yet he says he'd do it all over again....

There are a LOT of hazardous professions and often times you couldn't talk the guys who love those jobs out of them no matter how much sense, facts, lies you use.
If you needed yet another reason to not let your son play football, this is it.

I never played football. It was my only regret. But I had no choice. I was only allowed to play soccer, baseball, and basketball. My dad is an emergency room Dr. and wouldn't let me play. 25 years ago he knew how taxing the sport is on your body and brain. Even though it still irks me, it was honestly the best decision and Im thankful he did the right thing. Both my uncle's played college football for Drake University and Illinois State University. Both have had multiple knee surgeries and can barely walk. I don't know how many concussions they've had.
In some alternate realities, the NFL in 2017, 2018, 2019 ,2020s is way more violent and lawless than it was in our reality in the 1960s and 1970s. I am serious. Multiverse. In a few alternate reality versions of the NFL, in 2017, 2018, 2019 ,2020s players get pentalized for NOT doing helmet to helmet hits (wow!!!)

In some alternate realities, Garrison Hearst didn't get hurt in the 1998 playoffs and stayed the 49ers starting running back for most if not all of the 1999 ,2000 seasons and beyond. Eagles should have kept Charlie Garner until they found a real running back instead of going all in on Brian Westbrook.

In some alternate realities, in 2017 ,2018 ,2019 etc Charlie Garner (in his 40s) is the starting running back for the Baltimore Ravens. I am serious. Prove me I'm wrong bros.

This response is so perfect. Pretty sure this is what I looked like after reading the OP.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I think you are correct.

One thing for sure, it can't keep going the way it is.

Something will have to change.

I can see steamrolling backs becoming a thing of the past. There will probably always be guys willing to get paid millions of dollars to run into a brickwall 20 times a game but they'll have to ramp up the concussion protocols to stamp it out. Sometimes you just have to save people from themselves.
The Future of Football Helmets

Impact sensors will help team doctors identify a player that has had a head collision that needs medical attention before the ball is hiked on the very next play.
But the HUD (Heads Up Display) visor is where things get really cool…
Players will be able to get a range of information from down & distance to personal health levels inside their visor

Huddling up could be a thing of the past with the play-call, routes, defensive assignments, etc. showing up right before their eyes.
Even analysis of the player matchup could be available to help identify weaknesses players saw on film during the week.
Comfort and safety will also be put at a premium in the future with helmets becoming stronger than kevlar at a fraction of the weight.
The helmets will have the ability to filter out crowd noise so the player can focus more on selective on-field sounds.
And the coolest part of all is the digital display on each helmet. No longer will logos be passive and plain. In the future, helmets will react to things like touchdowns, interceptions, and sacks.

Gridiron Labs predicts that these helmets could be in use by as early as 2030.
I think that with the right amount of funding (from the Shield) they can get these helmets into the NFL, CFL and NCAA in half or maybe even a third of that amount of time. C'mon Roger! Git'er dun!
http://nflrt.com/future-football-helmets/
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Apr 5, 2017 at 4:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Robots and/or cyborgs FTW.

i've been training for this my whole life.

This is indeed the future.

I believe you bro. Life is infinite. The universe is infinite. It's theoretically possible so I won't doubt you. Great post!
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

You should check with a doctor, seems like you have CTE.
This is the sort of thing that needs to be born in mind when people complain about the pussification of the game and how it is turning into flag football.

Exactly, and for every person here that calls Borland a quitter, or some other name, should reconsider that statement. Maybe Borland is the smart one, and WAY ahead of his time.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Exactly, and for every person here that calls Borland a quitter, or some other name, should reconsider that statement. Maybe Borland is the smart one, and WAY ahead of his time.
Borland didn't suffer a concussion, he just quit.

plus there are a lot more retired players that don't suffer any issues

Perhaps the safer way would be to take a step back to the days of leather helmets. There was a lot less head-cracking then and more emphasis on using the shoulder to make tackles.
Share 49ersWebzone