There are 221 users in the forums

Brian Hoyer

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
49ers agreed to terms with QB Brian Hoyer on a two-year contract.
Things had been heading this direction all day. Hoyer will reunite in San Francisco with former OC Kyle Shanahan, likely serving as a bridge until the 49ers can find their long-term answer. Signing Hoyer likely means the 49ers will not trade for Kirk Cousins this offseason, but it seems like a foregone conclusion Cousins will end up in San Francisco at some point. Hoyer is as good an option as any to keep the seat warm. Mar 8 - 2:57 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Damn. Oh well guess we can get Cousins next year. Guess it makes sense so we won't have to give up so much. If he doesn't get a long term deal done.
2 year deal. Gives a solid option while they search for the franchise guy
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
As the team signs players, I think it's fair to say they deserve their own threads.

Good signing, I wouldn't have minded if they signed him for 3-4 years.
Originally posted by saniner:
2 year deal. Gives a solid option while they search for the franchise guy

Exactly or 1-2 years for Mahomes to master Shanahans system !
The offense looking sharp just need the young Nate Peterman to develop now IMO
If he can stay healthy, he can be a solid bridge gap QB. Still need another QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
The offense looking sharp just need the young Nate Peterman to develop now IMO

It would mean that the moon and stars aligned for me if they drafted Peterman and got Cousins this year or next.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Good good

2-year deal is perfect. It doesn't eliminate improving this year or next with another vet (Cousins), and it definitely doesn't prevent drafting a young QB in the first three rounds this year and/or next year.

In regards to Cousins - if anything, it basically tells Washington "we've made our best trade offer, so either accept it or we'll look to sign Cousins as a free agent next year and you get nothing."

49ers are not likely to make the playoffs next year with Cousins, Hoyer, or a rookie QB, so no need to overpay Washington in a trade for one extra year of Cousins' services.
I like this. He is a solid vet to bridge the gap.
  • thl408
This could be a move that let's WAS know the 49ers don't need to get Cousins this year since the 49ers now have a vet QB in Hoyer. Thus improving the 49ers leverage because they won't be as desperate as they would be had they there been zero QBs on the 49er roster. I don't think signing Hoyer automatically means Cousins trade talk is off.
Finally! We have a QB who actually knows how the passing plays in our OC's system. I don't think we have had a QB in the past 4 years who knew exactly how to pass within our last 3 systems.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone