LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

Will Tom Brady eventually get traded?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Laugh at me and call this thread stupid but it's not impossible to me. The patriots are known to trade great players away when they don't think they can contribute as much as they used to. Brady is still amazing but at 39 he's getting up there and they might think Jimmy G can play and start for them now. It's a long shot but even Montana was traded away, so it's never out of the question.
Highly unlikely to me, but I agree its not impossible. The Patriots are known to be cutthroat. Brady is a different story though. This isn't Richard Seymour or Chandler Jones, this is Tom Brady. He is Mr. Patriot and still performing at an elite level. He's arguably still the best QB in the game. The appeal of a young heir-apparent in Garoppolo is there, but not enough to ship Brady out of town, at least for now. Its possible they keep Jimmy G this year and hold off on making that decision for as long as possible. If they see any slippage from Brady in 2017, maybe they make the move.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Highly unlikely to me, but I agree its not impossible. The Patriots are known to be cutthroat. Brady is a different story though. This isn't Richard Seymour or Chandler Jones, this is Tom Brady. He is Mr. Patriot and still performing at an elite level. He's arguably still the best QB in the game. The appeal of a young heir-apparent in Garoppolo is there, but not enough to ship Brady out of town, at least for now. Its possible they keep Jimmy G this year and hold off on making that decision for as long as possible. If they see any slippage from Brady in 2017, maybe they make the move.

This. I think he gets 1 1/2 years if he comes out looking pretty bad, then they might start considering it.

As long as he keeps playing at a pro bowl level, he'll be there as long as he wants to. No reason to trade him, even if you know he has 2-3 good years left. That could still mean another SB, which is more than worth it.
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Feb 17, 2017 at 10:34 PM ]
He his play declines & he tries to play on? Yes... He'll get traded.

If he plays well? No... They'll let him retire on his own terms.
Why would you trade him? Have you seen any decline there? He is the best chance they have to win. No doubt about it. He will probably retire before he gets traded. If he drops off to that point he won't want to play anymore. He will likely walk away from the game before that.
He isnt Clark Kent. Soon, the inevitable will start to happen. The question is, will he accept it and walk away or will he try to pretend he can just keep going on? Another 2 seasons and the end should be clear.
IMHO only if he wants to get traded but I don't see that happening either. The way I see it is when he feels "like he sucks" as he said once, he'll hang up the cleats. He might have a last season "retirement tour" like Kobe and such but I doubt he'll suddenly quit. He loves the game too much and his fans love him too much too. And I see him playing another 2-3 years. I don't know how long the extension is that they're working on but four years might be the longest I see him playing, barring injury, of course.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 18, 2017 at 5:12 AM ]
I think the reason we traded Montana was that he couldn't stay healthy. That's not the case for Brady since pocket QBs are so well protected by rules these days. Plus I don't think garappolo is anywhere near Steven Young.

I agree, it's not impossible. If they had a good replacement. I'm sure they would make that trade in a heartbeat given Brady's age
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I think the reason we traded Montana was that he couldn't stay healthy. That's not the case for Brady since pocket QBs are so well protected by rules these days. Plus I don't think garappolo is anywhere near Steven Young.

I agree, it's not impossible. If they had a good replacement. I'm sure they would make that trade in a heartbeat given Brady's age

You summed it up perfectly comparing Montana and Brady's situations.

I will say this though:

Brady said he will play until he sucks.

So a question of whether he retires first or gets dropped first....maybe if he suffers a season like Peyton in 2014, where you see erratic play at the end he retires instead of going for 2015 like Peyton did, lest he risk getting dropped.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

If I remember correctly Montana and Young both felt they should have the starting role. So one had to go. We probably made the wrong choice with hindsight but there you are.

Nope.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for HERN.
HAHAHAHA this thread is stupid.

Hell nah.
how could this fool be 40 and still play at an elite level. This is not normal.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
how could this fool be 40 and still play at an elite level. This is not normal.

Illuminati.
Bellichek would trade his own mother to if it meant winning another Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone