LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Fun but unlikely/impossible hypothetical question

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't know if this is alllowed or if there is ever a history of this but what would you guys do in this highly improbable situation. The Texans are a team close to competing for a title and the Niners are in the bottom of the barrel trying to climb up. If the Texans offered to give us a 3rd round draft pick to take Brock Osweiler, would you do it?

Basically, the idea would be for the Texans to free up cash so they can sign a real quarterback and Niners have excess cash but need draft picks.

What is the cash value to you of a 3rd round draft pick? Is it close to $18 million for one year?
[ Edited by gored49 on Feb 1, 2017 at 1:53 PM ]
For Brock?, i would just hang up on them
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
For Brock?, i would just hang up on them

Yes, the Niners get Brock and a 3rd in 2017 just to pay his salary this year.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
If they gave a 1st I still wouldn't do it.
Originally posted by Furlow:

You can't be serious. I would do that in a heartbeat. If we cut Kap, that contract exchange would be close to a wash which means the money would tie out and you still get a 1st round draft pick... AND still have close to $80 mil to sign draft picks and free agents.
Originally posted by gored49:

You can't be serious. I would do that in a heartbeat. If we cut Kap, that contract exchange would be close to a wash which means the money would tie out and you still get a 1st round draft pick... AND still have close to $80 mil to sign draft picks and free agents.
Brock is a waste of space
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gored49:

The last thing we need is another $18 million backup. And all we'd get is a rookie 1st rounder in return? Pass. I'd do it if they paid half his salary too. Lol.
Where's the "fun" part? No thanks...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Where's the "fun" part? No thanks...

The fun part is the hypothetical crossed my mind on a slow day so I thought I'd start a friendly and fun debate. Apparently, not a single person finds this idea entertaining.
they only have to pay his salary for one more year and they can ditch him for next to nothing in dead money. They will most likely draft someone and have Brock as the Bridge

Ummmmm no
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
they only have to pay his salary for one more year and they can ditch him for next to nothing in dead money. They will most likely draft someone and have Brock as the Bridge

Are you telling me I don't have a future as a GM?
  • thl408
Not my money. I like it. John Lynch needs to read this thread.

btw this has been done in the NHL. The Sharks received a 1st rounder to take on a bad contract from the Devils so that the Devils could get under the cap.
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Not my money. I like it. John Lynch needs to read this thread.

btw this has been done in the NHL. The Sharks received a 1st rounder to take on a bad contract from the Devils so that the Devils could get under the cap.

There we go!! One person on board!

That is fascinating it has been done before for a 1st rounder. I know basketball does stuff like this all the time but I couldn't think of any examples recently.
Not sure why everyone is hating on this idea. I mean....I know it would never happen, but the idea is IF it was offered to us.

Basically its a free 3rd round pick to pay Brock's salary for one season. Seeing as how we waste capspace on a regular basis, I dont see the harm in this. I would do it in a heartbeat.
Share 49ersWebzone