There are 271 users in the forums

Coach Contracts

Shop 49ers game tickets
With Tomsula and Kelly getting assistant coaching gigs with other teams, how does that impact their contract status with the 49ers?
Purely speculating, but I think whatever they make at their new job may be mitigated from the salary they are currently owed from the 49ers. So, for 2017 if Kelly makes $1M and we owe him $3M, then we would owe him $2M. Again, just speculating. I'm sure Paraag drafted a nifty contract to save his butt buddy some cash.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Purely speculating, but I think whatever they make at their new job may be mitigated from the salary they are currently owed from the 49ers. So, for 2017 if Kelly makes $1M and we owe him $3M, then we would owe him $2M. Again, just speculating. I'm sure Paraag drafted a nifty contract to save his butt buddy some cash.

Tomsula is owed the same amount of money from the 49ers as before. He just gets a Redskins salary too. Its a contract. The 49ers have to honor it, regardless of his future endeavors.
Florio article on Kelly FWIW...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/31/chip-kellys-multiple-buyouts-create-unusual-issue-for-49ers-eagles/
You are wrong Niners99, Tomsula and Chip will still get every penny of their contracts, but what ever they make from another team, during the length of their former contract with the 49ers comes off what the 49ers pay them. So if Chip is owed 6 million this year from the 49ers, and his new team is paying him 1 million, then he still gets 6 million this year, just 5 from us, and 1 from his new team.

That's the reason why the Eagles still owed Chip a little money, it's because what we were paying him, was just under what they owed him for that year, thus our money+ the Eagles money made up what he was originally supposed to get from the Eagles original contract.
Chip should sign a $1 dollar per year contract with his new team until the 49ers are done paying him.

I can't believe the owners get away with that offset BS to begin with. I can't imagine it being applied in many other industries if any.
If Chip is hired by a college team for big money, the last two years will offset, right?

I wonder if McCloughan will work to get Bruce Allen/Jay Gruden ousted so he can promote Tomsula to HC. He can make the argument to Snyder than Tomsula wasn't given the horses in 2015 and still got 5 wins.
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
If Chip is hired by a college team for big money, the last two years will offset, right?

I wonder if McCloughan will work to get Bruce Allen/Jay Gruden ousted so he can promote Tomsula to HC. He can make the argument to Snyder than Tomsula wasn't given the horses in 2015 and still got 5 wins.

Generally there arent offsets for college jobs. Whatever Tomsula and Kelly earn in the NFL will reduce the amount the 49ers owe them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 25, 2017 at 4:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
Tomsula is owed the same amount of money from the 49ers as before. He just gets a Redskins salary too. Its a contract. The 49ers have to honor it, regardless of his future endeavors.

Nah this isnt true. Virtually every single NFL coaching contract has offset language. If they fire you they owe you whatever is owed on the contract but if you take another NFL job, the amount you are owed is reduced by the amount your new team is paying you.

Say the 49ers owe Tomsula $4 mil this year, if the Redskins are paying him $750k, the 49ers then owe him $3.25 mil.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Niners99:

Nah this isnt true. Virtually every single NFL coaching contract has offset language. If they fire you they owe you whatever is owed on the contract but if you take another NFL job, the amount you are owed is reduced by the amount your new team is paying you.

Say the 49ers owe Tomsula $4 mil this year, if the Redskins are paying him $750k, the 49ers then owe him $3.25 mil.

This.

Also this was already explained in post #5.

Thanks for playing.

The new contract offsets the old. If they make X amount from the new team they just subtract that X amount from what the Niners owe them. Unless they were completely bought out when they were let go which doesn't happen often.
Share 49ersWebzone