There are 287 users in the forums

Sean McVay: Rams Head Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NIMV4683:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Tight ends, offensive assistant, and OC...all sounds good. Plus he worked under the Grudens and 1 Shanahan

Question is what about DL coaching, OL coaching, RB coaching, WR and TE coaching, QB coaching, LB coaching, DB coaching, ST coaching.?

By the time Coach Walsh walked away from Cincy, he had coached at all positions, had learned all positions. Seems like a good resume, but what about the OL, DL, DBs, LBs, DC, ST,WRs, RBs,QBs, and so on. At one time, Coach Walsh had coached at all those positions. McVay seems a bit short there. Too soon for him, with some holes in his coaching regimen?

Walsh coached WR's and QBs at Cincy and was an OC for one year at San Diego. Of course he also had the benefit of having been head coach at Stanford.

You're not going to find many coaches that have a vast amount of experience coaching on the other side of the ball. McVay could use some more seasoning but I see him being a very good head coach eventually.

Put me in the same boat on the guy. There's a lot to like there so it's really just the age and experience. There is simply no substitute for years of experience, just ask Lane Kiffin or Josh McDaniels. Also, every job he's had has been from nepotism.

If McVay be hired this week, he could have chance to pick best candidates on his coaching staff. He could lure either Mike McCoy or Greg Olson as OC while Wade Phillips still on limbo when current Broncos situation also feel betrayed by organization.

Having those coaches would be much easier to fill the rest and getting ready for Senior Bowl and Combine.

Thinking he'd bring over Cavenaugh to OC maybe. Potentially keep Rathman. If he could then land a stud DC like Wade Phillips things could get interesting real quick. I shy away from his youth, but won't dismiss him because of it. He's currently my #3. I keep going back and forth between Shanahan and McDaniels.

I worry that Shanahan will need the learning experience and I don't want to be his learning team, but I prefer his offense with it's links to the WCO. I have read that he's kind of a dick. And while that kind of stuff has been a bit limited it is concerning in regard to him working with others.

I really like what I have learned about how McDaniels handled his previous failure and the things he's done to get better as a coach. I like his more mature and humbled personality compared to the guy I remember with the Boncos. I like his offense and the system he runs, but I prefer something a bit more linked to the WCO.

McVay by all accounts has a very bright offensive mind. Some critics, some professionals, state that his offense may have been as close to perfectly run as they have ever seen an offense ran. Universally people state his maturity and presence are beyond what his age would otherwise indicate. He's had limited exposure to the NFL and I have concerns about what kind of staff he could attract. He could be a long time generational type coach for the 49ers though as he seems super laid back and is likely pretty easy to get along with. He's also more likely to relate to millennials going forward, who are all f**ked up and require altered handling. McVay's offense is the closest of the 3 coaches to what the Walsh wco, but that's a stretch comparison as no wco nowadays really looks like Walsh's.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:09 PM ]
McDaniels has Brady.. McVay with Cousins and no name RB has 3rd best offense..
  • Homer
  • Veteran
I want McVay + an old timer president of football ops, preferably Mike Shanahan.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Homer:
I want McVay + an old timer president of football ops, preferably Mike Shanahan.

Not going to happen.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Not going to happen.

Ok fine

I want Mike Smith and Tom Cable
[ Edited by Homer on Jan 9, 2017 at 4:42 PM ]

Yeah I want to find a million dollars in a gym bag outside my front door but that isn't happening either.
Originally posted by kazak13:

McDaniels had 16 starts from Bradford and Stephen Jackson in his prime and the Rams offense ranked dead last in the NFL.

Edit: I looked at the wrong year, Bradford started 10 games and Jackson started 15.

Still looking at 100% of McDaniels success coming with TB and BB.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Not going to happen.

Ok fine

I want Mike Smith and Tom Cable

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

McDaniels had 16 starts from Bradford and Stephen Jackson in his prime and the Rams offense ranked dead last in the NFL.

At lest know the facts before giving numbers. Bradford started 10, A.J. Feeley started 3 & Kellen Clemens started 3. So no McDaniels did not have 16 starts from Bradford. Oh and also Steven Jackson started 15 games with Cadillac Williams starting 1.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM ]
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah I want to find a million dollars in a gym bag outside my front door but that isn't happening either.

At least we interviewed McVay, more realistic than anyone having a million dollars and choosing to be in Phoenix

good point.. its like everything else with the Patriots.. its Bill, Tom and the system making everyone else look good..
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
If we could get mcvay, gute, and wolf that would be heaven.
Forget age, those are three talented football brains there.
Jed, please throw a bunch of money at them.
Originally posted by xcfan:
If we could get mcvay, gute, and wolf that would be heaven.
Forget age, those are three talented football brains there.
Jed, please throw a bunch of money at them.

add wade philips to that mix.. and some solid free agents..

At lest know the facts before giving numbers. Bradford started 10, A.J. Feeley started 3 & Kellen Clemens started 3. So no McDaniels did not have 16 starts from Bradford. Oh and also Steven Jackson started 15 games with Cadillac Williams starting 1.

I looked at the wrong year, sorry about that.

The Rams had the worst offense in football with McDaniels and the Broncos regressed under McDaniels.

What is there to indicate he can be successful without BB and TB?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I looked at the wrong year, sorry about that.

The Rams had the worst offense in football with McDaniels and the Broncos regressed under McDaniels.

What is there to indicate he can be successful without BB and TB?

lol be prepared to say sorry again. No St Louis did not have the worst offense in football that year. That was the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I've said it once and i will say it again. GB hired Mike McCarthy after he was the OC of the 49ers and Alex Smiths famous 1 TD & 11 INT season.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone