LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Sean McVay: Rams Head Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Great football mind but way too young. Probably needs a few more years
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Tight ends, offensive assistant, and OC...all sounds good. Plus he worked under the Grudens and 1 Shanahan

Question is what about DL coaching, OL coaching, RB coaching, WR and TE coaching, QB coaching, LB coaching, DB coaching, ST coaching.?

By the time Coach Walsh walked away from Cincy, he had coached at all positions, had learned all positions. Seems like a good resume, but what about the OL, DL, DBs, LBs, DC, ST,WRs, RBs,QBs, and so on. At one time, Coach Walsh had coached at all those positions. McVay seems a bit short there. Too soon for him, with some holes in his coaching regimen?

Walsh coached WR's and QBs at Cincy and was an OC for one year at San Diego. Of course he also had the benefit of having been head coach at Stanford.

You're not going to find many coaches that have a vast amount of experience coaching on the other side of the ball. McVay could use some more seasoning but I see him being a very good head coach eventually.

Put me in the same boat on the guy. There's a lot to like there so it's really just the age and experience. There is simply no substitute for years of experience, just ask Lane Kiffin or Josh McDaniels. Also, every job he's had has been from nepotism.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
why pass on a great football mind, why not take him early
I want the most experienced candidate that will bring a winning culture into here.

Sure it's a cute story him catching balls with Rice when he was a boy blah blah blah, maybe he's some offensive mastermind, but there's no proof of that at all...OC for three yrs behind a offensive minded HC who I'm sure has the final say in plays. Who's this kid bringing in for a staff?What respected coordinator is gonna work under a 30 yr old for a 2-14 team? We've seen our past two coaches have to reach into the bottom of the barrel for a staff no more of that s**t!

What GM wants to tie his name to him for the next 4 yrs? That's a HUGE leap of faith and we've done that wayyyyy too much the past couple yrs.

I think it would be much much different if this team had a well established GM and some sort of a winning culture, this is a total rebuild and that should NOT be on the shoulders of this kid IMO.

That said I'd take him over Cable but that's about it...If he's the hire that means our first two or three options said no.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:38 AM ]
Spot on. I think it's funny when people on here clamor for a candidate that has a link to our "roots". Who gives a s**t about our roots. I want to win, and I don't care how that happens.

If our team was looking for a CEO and Jed was a candidate, those same people would be losing their s**t for him. "OMG HE'S EDDIE's NEPHEW!! HE HAS CHAMPIONSHIP BLOOD!! LETS GO BACK TO OUR ROOTS"

lmao
Originally posted by Heroism:
Spot on. I think it's funny when people on here clamor for a candidate that has a link to our "roots". Who gives a s**t about our roots. I want to win, and I don't care how that happens.

If our team was looking for a CEO and Jed was a candidate, those same people would be losing their s**t for him. "OMG HE'S EDDIE's NEPHEW!! HE HAS CHAMPIONSHIP BLOOD!! LETS GO BACK TO OUR ROOTS"

lmao

if you want the best football mind, then you get the best football mind regardless of ties and age
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Yea, its not like this team is going anywhere the next 2-3 years. If they think his system is the best and are willing to give him a chance, so be it. This isn't the Harbaugh situation...its much more like the Mike Nolan situation as far as how far we are to being competitive.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Because being a "great football mind" doesn't mean you are a great head coach.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Because being a "great football mind" doesn't mean you are a great head coach.
no one is guaranteed to be a great head coach
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
Sean McVay has had two interviews (Rams, 49ers) and crushed them both. And my sources on this are not Sean McVay or his agent...

Needs to be a HC and fail, then comeback with more knowledge.
The hell with it. It's a silicon Valley team. Let's go with the Thirty-somethings in Wolf and McVay and set the new standard.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
The hell with it. It's a silicon Valley team. Let's go with the Thirty-somethings in Wolf and McVay and set the new standard.
the new standard is already here. when will any hot HC candidates wait till their old
Originally posted by Heroism:

lmao

Pretty much everyone was stoked when Jed took over from mommy and daddy because he and uncle Eddie are close.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Tight ends, offensive assistant, and OC...all sounds good. Plus he worked under the Grudens and 1 Shanahan

Question is what about DL coaching, OL coaching, RB coaching, WR and TE coaching, QB coaching, LB coaching, DB coaching, ST coaching.?

By the time Coach Walsh walked away from Cincy, he had coached at all positions, had learned all positions. Seems like a good resume, but what about the OL, DL, DBs, LBs, DC, ST,WRs, RBs,QBs, and so on. At one time, Coach Walsh had coached at all those positions. McVay seems a bit short there. Too soon for him, with some holes in his coaching regimen?

Walsh coached WR's and QBs at Cincy and was an OC for one year at San Diego. Of course he also had the benefit of having been head coach at Stanford.

You're not going to find many coaches that have a vast amount of experience coaching on the other side of the ball. McVay could use some more seasoning but I see him being a very good head coach eventually.

Put me in the same boat on the guy. There's a lot to like there so it's really just the age and experience. There is simply no substitute for years of experience, just ask Lane Kiffin or Josh McDaniels. Also, every job he's had has been from nepotism.

If McVay be hired this week, he could have chance to pick best candidates on his coaching staff. He could lure either Mike McCoy or Greg Olson as OC while Wade Phillips still on limbo when current Broncos situation also feel betrayed by organization.

Having those coaches would be much easier to fill the rest and getting ready for Senior Bowl and Combine.
Share 49ersWebzone