LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Sean McVay: Rams Head Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408

Offensive Philosophy: West Coast Offense

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29651/despite-his-youth-sean-mcvay-an-intriguing-head-coaching-candidate
Multiple players, but especially the quarterbacks, have all said the same thing about McVay. He's as detailed a coach as they've been around. Backup quarterback Colt McCoy said McVay and quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh "are two of the most detailed guys I've been around. They give us extra notes. They have great ideas of how we're supposed to play. Sean has a specific way he wants things done. He's very detailed. We're always prepared."

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/02/nfl-washington-sean-mcvay-offensive-coordinator-head-coach-kirk-cousins-jay-gruden
What stood out again and again on film was how few plays the quarterback himself had to actually create. Washington's system, with its array of formations, intertwined route combinations and zone running game married to play-action, was often defining the plays for him. Schematically, there may not have been a better-designed offense in football.
From a pure strategic standpoint, Cousins explains that "part of the reason our offense has a lot of depth is because a lot of different guys get to touch the ball. That goes back to play-calling and the way Sean aligns players.
He would be my plan C
Meh
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
He would be my plan C

This! C at the highest.
[ Edited by Giants9ersfan on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM ]
Seems like an impressive guy for someone his age, I'd be happy with him if don't end up with McDaniels. I've read nothing but good things. Gotta catch em on the way up.

Would be hard to get used to the fact that my favorite football team would have a head coach that's almost three years younger than me.
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
He would be my plan C

Now that Lynn is pretty much dial.ed in Buffalo, McVay is my #3 now.

1. Shanahan - Most likely going to LA
2. McDaniels - He should be #1, but I'm still holding out hope for Shanahan
3. McVay - Seems a bit too young but from what I've read he can lead
way too young to lead an NFL team IMO.
  • thl408
Only three years as a coordinator and all under an offensive HC. So who knows how involved Sean is with gameplanning, or if Jay Gruden was the guy calling the big shots. I listened to a couple of his pressers. Seems like a strong communicator. Player testimony also pegs him as a good speaker.
He would be my plan C

This mehhh
I don't doubt that he could be some kind of genius, but I'm wary of hiring such a young guy with limited experience for head coach.

Originally posted by thl408:
Only three years as a coordinator and all under an offensive HC. So who knows how involved Sean is with gameplanning, or if Jay Gruden was the guy calling the big shots. I listened to a couple of his pressers. Seems like a strong communicator. Player testimony also pegs him as a good speaker.

If he was a few years older I'd have him as the favorite. He does seem like a pretty mature guy, very laidback, extremely intelligent and as you said, he is very well-spoken.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:15 AM ]
Next.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He would be my plan C

Now that Lynn is pretty much dial.ed in Buffalo, McVay is my #3 now.

1. Shanahan - Most likely going to LA
2. McDaniels - He should be #1, but I'm still holding out hope for Shanahan
3. McVay - Seems a bit too young but from what I've read he can lead
McVay also under Jon Gruden's wing
Tight ends, offensive assistant, and OC...all sounds good. Plus he worked under the Grudens and 1 Shanahan

Question is what about DL coaching, OL coaching, RB coaching, WR and TE coaching, QB coaching, LB coaching, DB coaching, ST coaching.?

By the time Coach Walsh walked away from Cincy, he had coached at all positions, had learned all positions. Seems like a good resume, but what about the OL, DL, DBs, LBs, DC, ST,WRs, RBs,QBs, and so on. At one time, Coach Walsh had coached at all those positions. McVay seems a bit short there. Too soon for him, with some holes in his coaching regimen?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Tight ends, offensive assistant, and OC...all sounds good. Plus he worked under the Grudens and 1 Shanahan

Question is what about DL coaching, OL coaching, RB coaching, WR and TE coaching, QB coaching, LB coaching, DB coaching, ST coaching.?

By the time Coach Walsh walked away from Cincy, he had coached at all positions, had learned all positions. Seems like a good resume, but what about the OL, DL, DBs, LBs, DC, ST,WRs, RBs,QBs, and so on. At one time, Coach Walsh had coached at all those positions. McVay seems a bit short there. Too soon for him, with some holes in his coaching regimen?

Walsh coached WR's and QBs at Cincy and was an OC for one year at San Diego. Of course he also had the benefit of having been head coach at Stanford.

You're not going to find many coaches that have a vast amount of experience coaching on the other side of the ball. McVay could use some more seasoning but I see him being a very good head coach eventually.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone