LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

Does Chip Kelly deserve a last fair shot as a NFL HC?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Does Chip Kelly deserve a last fair shot as a NFL HC?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
read option left, read option right, read option left, punt.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I would only say yes if the NFL allowed teams to dress 80+ players every week. Until that happens, his college system will not work in the NFL.
If you could go 3 deep with equally skilled players at the D-line and linebacker positions and 2 deep in the secondary it might work. He gets his defense worn out and tired players also get injured easier.
Originally posted by dj43:
He has a future in the NFL though an OC gig might be the best next step for him. It would give him a chance to polish some things while gaining exposure to other thinking. Never hurts to listen to others.

His passing game made it easy for mediocre receivers to get open. Reminds me a bit of when Walsh first introduced his WCO. Not revolutionary but contained some well executed concepts that work no matter what mode the defense is in.

He needs to add some components to his offense such as a FB and power game. He didn't have the pieces to make that change in SF. Whether or not he would embrace that remains to be seen but he has to have players.

I don't buy the idea that the pace of his offense puts the defense in an untenable situation. He proved he can slow it down when the situation dictates. Again, it takes decent players to execute any offense and he certainly limited here. Most of the playoff teams run some up-tempo offense. NE runs very fast a good bit of the time. GB the same. Oakland was beginning to do it. Up-tempo has proven to be a good tool to wear down an opponent. If it was really such a horrible defense-killer Bill Belichick, one of the best defensive minds of the past 20 years, would not be running it.

He got stuck with Jim O'Neil trying to learn to be a DC in this league. Not a good fit in time or place. Too bad the overall situation was such a mess there were not better DCs available.

Yes, he got a bad deal here, and yes, he needs to add some pieces, however, I would argue he is much closer to being a solid NFL coach than some assert.

Bruh he got rid of the FB position all together. He wasn't making changes to his offense. That answers your question. He had that piece. And the o line to run power plays if he wanted to.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Spurier, Saban, Holtz, and others that were great College Coaches did not make it in the pros. It is okay if he fits better in a certain situation. The man ain't starving. It sucks, and I kind of feel for him. We all have dreams. I am sure his is to reach the zenith of his profession. But, for whatever reason, his cap is the college ranks. There is no shame in it. The dude wins at the college level. I wish him well.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:
Spurier, Saban, Holtz, and others that were great College Coaches did not make it in the pros. It is okay if he fits better in a certain situation. The man ain't starving. It sucks, and I kind of feel for him. We all have dreams. I am sure his is to reach the zenith of his profession. But, for whatever reason, his cap is the college ranks. There is no shame in it. The dude wins at the college level. I wish him well.
You feel for a guy who can go on a 3 year vacation and collect $18 million?
Look at what's out there. There are NFL teams that even us diehard fans don't know the coaches name. Sure, give Chip some playmakers and he would win. He sunk with the Baalke tidal wave.
I would personally like to see him succeed. Maybe do a few years as a OC and kick some butt. He had a raw deal here - no denying it.
Man, if Kelly hadn't already coached Bradford, I would say OC of MIN would be perfect for Chip.
Yes only because he got a raw deal in SF.
Cal just fired Sonny Dykes. My guess is they will go hard after Chip

• Homer
  • Veteran
I voted yes. Maybe it starts with an OC stint, I just think he deserves a shot with a hand picked QB. He's made chicken salad out of chicken s**t, IMO.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Well based on the results of his last two seasons NO. He doesn't deserve anything, if he wants a HC gig again he's going to have to earn it.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap3000000782277/Kerley-Would-be-tough-for-Chip-Kelly-to-be-a-head-coach-again
Nobody deserves anything in business. You work hard and hope a company values you contribution enough to earn an opportunity, but nothing is deserved. Chip Kelly has an awful cavalier attitude about potential opportunities in the NFL than i'd expect considering his recent failures.
LOL. Haha.
Share 49ersWebzone