LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

A ? about Mike and Kyle Shanahan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Kelly was clearly a plan B or you could argue even a plan C. I mean after that whole Sean Payton fiasco fell through the focus turned to Mike Shanahan before interviewing Kelly but still heavily in negotiations with Shanahan, Then when the Shanny plan fell through, they then revert right back to Kelly. Then the hype of Kaepernick in a Kelly offense began to grow, then Kap comes through with this kneeling b******t and from what I remember it was all downhill from there. I think if Shanny was hired in the first place Kap would've been gone and the focus of the team would've been elsewhere. That's all water under the bridge now and once again the Yorks have a chance to fix things by making a REAL statement, hmmm what could that possibly be!!!

Why didn't Mike Shanahan get the job? Why did the negotiations fall through?

The rumor was that Shanahan didn't want Kap as his QB.
Ironic that rumor has it, he wanted to start Cousins over Rg3 in Washington but Rg3 had Snyder's backing. If both accounts are true then when will people start listening to that man about QBs?
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Kelly was clearly a plan B or you could argue even a plan C. I mean after that whole Sean Payton fiasco fell through the focus turned to Mike Shanahan before interviewing Kelly but still heavily in negotiations with Shanahan, Then when the Shanny plan fell through, they then revert right back to Kelly. Then the hype of Kaepernick in a Kelly offense began to grow, then Kap comes through with this kneeling b******t and from what I remember it was all downhill from there. I think if Shanny was hired in the first place Kap would've been gone and the focus of the team would've been elsewhere. That's all water under the bridge now and once again the Yorks have a chance to fix things by making a REAL statement, hmmm what could that possibly be!!!

Ironic that rumor has it, he wanted to start Cousins over Rg3 in Washington but Rg3 had Snyder's backing. If both accounts are true then when will people start listening to that man about QBs?

Good point
Kyle has been a coordinator for four different franchises and Mike has been around the NFL for over two decades. I'm sure they are well versed in their NFL connections by this point. I'm confident that they would have no problem putting together a respectable staff.

If I was guessing, I'd say that Bobby Turner would come with Kyle as a running backs coach. Hes a long time assistant coach of Mike's that Kyle brought to Atlanta with him. I'd think Matt LaFleur would be a strong candidate for offensive coordinator. Hes worked with Kyle in Houston, Washington, and now Atlanta where he is the QBs coach.

To add to this, I think Mike McDaniel whom was an assistant coach in Houston with Kyle and now in Atlanta, he also was Kyle's receiver coach in Cleveland would be a good bet to follow Kyle to be his receivers coach if Kyle was to get a head coach job.

I was looking at potential defensive coordinators. Other than Mike Shanahan retreads that don't exactly inspire confidence I see current Titans linebacker coach and former UCLA defensive coordinator and long time Dick Lebeau understudy, Lou Spanos was on the same staff in Washington as Kyle. Then there's Raheem Morris whom is friends with Kyle and I read that Kyle helped bring to Atlanta. Morris like Spanos has never been a coordinator at the NFL level and switched to the offensive side of the ball this year, but was head coach of the Bucs. I doubt Atlanta would let Morris out of his contract though. Even though in looking, Kyle is tied to several Atlanta coaches and was probably responsible for bringing several of them there, he wont just get free reign to take who he pleases with him out of that staff. He would probably get to take LaFleur for offensive coordinator because LaFleur has been with Kyle through three different organizations and I don't think Dan Quinn would stop LaFleur from getting a coordinator nod. Bobby Turner has worked with the Shanahans for 20 years so Quinn would probably let him go because of Turner's loyalty with them and McDaniel would get a nod from assistant to position coach and it's rare to see a team stop an assistant or quality control level coach from leaving to a position coach somewhere. I think that shows a good feel of who some of Kyle's offensive assistants might be.

I think for his defensive coordinator, it'd potentially be someone he may not be tied to like a veteran defensive coordinator like a Gus Bradley or someone. I think Kyle would want somebody with defensive coordinator experience that he could entrust to have a bit of autonomy on that side of the ball. That's just a guess though. There's my two cents.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 13, 2016 at 5:37 AM ]
Jokes on the Yorks. If they keep denying the past and looking for anyone not affiliated with the glory years than they'll go bankrupt watching this franchise rot. I don't think they can afford to have this stadium empty for multiple years. There's simply not enough splash to be made with FA to make people watch Chip and Balke another year. If 2017 has Chip or Balke I'm watching red zone next year and not renewing my NFL ticket. I can't root for other teams, but I can root against teams and that's how I spend my sundays. There's no future with Chip or a non pocket QB. We're the west coast offense and the longer that's denied the more distant we get. Go Niners and F the Yorks!
[ Edited by justjim77 on Dec 13, 2016 at 6:04 AM ]
Originally posted by justjim77:
Jokes on the Yorks. If they keep denying the past and looking for anyone not affiliated with the glory years than they'll go bankrupt watching this franchise rot. I don't think they can afford to have this stadium empty for multiple years. There's simply not enough splash to be made with FA to make people watch Chip and Balke another year. If 2017 has Chip or Balke I'm watching red zone next year and not renewing my NFL ticket. I can't root for other teams, but I can root against teams and that's how I spend my sundays. There's no future with Chip or a non pocket QB. We're the west coast offense and the longer that's denied the more distant we get. Go Niners and F the Yorks!

Did you miss the Harbaugh years? Oh and they did that with Mike Nolan and how did that work out? They need to find a good qualified GM and HC regardless if they have ties to the past.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I could see somebody like Mike Shanahan enticing better DC candidates than Gamble.

Just throwing names out there but I believe if Todd Bowels became available, Shanahan Sr. Would be a respected HC turned GM to convince Bowels too be our DC.

I feel like in order for other NFL talent wether it's coaching or players to come to SF they have to feel like things have changed and that would be what the Shanahans would represent.

He thought Brian Griese and John Beck would be fantastic NFL QBs.

To be fair, Bill Walsh was a huge fan of Griese too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I remember him acquiring Beck but not saying much less than what most coaches say about their quarterbacks in the public, regardless of what they themselves might actually believe. To be fair, the redskins didn't have many options at quarterback then. I would think in reality, he never intended on Beck being much more than a short term bridge, no matter what kinda hogwash he or any coach say about those kinds of QBs in the media.

But what do I know.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
don't matter. you're getting Gamble and Chip next year.

Yeah - Chip & Dip.

Shanahan did have Griese post a 102.9 passer rating and make a pro bowl. He never had the arm strength though and was injured often.

I thought he said he could fix Kap (or maybe that was 2015).

Besides he made an inferior QB look very serviceable (RG3).
Originally posted by midrdan:

Shanahan did have Griese post a 102.9 passer rating and make a pro bowl. He never had the arm strength though and was injured often.

Made Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler look good too. The man basically s**ts quality QBs. Come to think of it, I can't really think of a quarterback that didn't look good while playing under Shanahan.
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by midrdan:

Made Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler look good too. The man basically s**ts quality QBs. Come to think of it, I can't really think of a quarterback that didn't look good while playing under Shanahan.

Productive runners (and blockers) too

I worry about his defenses though. Though, it's probably still better than the current sieve.
Originally posted by baltien:

McNabb?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
It is my opinion that while Mike Shanahan is the best the Yorks could hope for if Kelly is fired, he's a terrible suggestion.

LOL at the idea that RGIII was all Snyder, Shanarat would love for everyone to believe that even though he was the HC/GM of the Redskins.
Share 49ersWebzone