There are 226 users in the forums

FA QBs in 2017, Tyrod Taylor, as a stop gap?

Shop 49ers game tickets
OK, it´s clear that Romo will nt sign with us, since he wants to win now.
Bradford will be a FA, but I can´t imagine him nor Kelly wanting a reunion.
Talk has emerged that maybe Tyrod Taylor could be let go by the Bills. according to http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000754385/article/tyrod-taylors-contract-gives-bills-options-in-offseason.

Taylor could be a solid option in Kellys offence. IMHO he´s more accurate than Kap, has better pocket skills, and is a solid runner.
While he never had a 300 yard game, I do not think that this should be an issue. He could be a solid stop gap, until a rookie is ready.

Opinions?
Yeah, a solid stop gap to help bring the team back to some level of respectability.
Was thinking about this yesterday
  • jcs
  • Veteran
He's going to be stop gap making starter money.
I would love Tyrod in this offense. Kap leaves to NYJ, Tyrod comes here, Cutler to the Bills, and Romo to CHI.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
He's basically another Kaepernick w/o being a SJW.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Save for both of them being able to gain yards with their legs they're incredibly dissimilar as QBs.

I'm a big Tyrod fan, and would love to see him in Kelly's offense, if even as a stop gap. Having him also means the 9ers wouldn't have to overdraft a QB in this weak class.

Buffalo would be dumb to dump him IMO, but given that Rex is probably going to get fired all bets are off on that one.
Tyrod would be a good stop gap guy. If he gets canned, i doubt he can command much money on the market. Probably 12-14M at the most.

I think he would fit Chip Kelly's scheme well. Can make the short throws and has a good head on his shoulders.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by FL9er:

Save for both of them being able to gain yards with their legs they're incredibly dissimilar as QBs.

I'm a big Tyrod fan, and would love to see him in Kelly's offense, if even as a stop gap. Having him also means the 9ers wouldn't have to overdraft a QB in this weak class.

Buffalo would be dumb to dump him IMO, but given that Rex is probably going to get fired all bets are off on that one.

Actually, Tyrod and Kap do have many of the same issues. Tyrod rarely strings a complete game together. He will either start off slow and come back with a vengeance in the second half or he will start out great and then completely lose the plot as the game goes along. Tyrod rarely goes through his progressions and often misses open receivers down the field. He almost never throws the ball over the middle of the field and he has little to no anticipation. He doesn't throw his receivers open. He also takes many unnecessary sacks because he holds the ball too long and starts to scramble when his first read isn't open. What Taylor has over Kap is better throwing mechanics - although his footwork can be a bit lazy at times leading to inaccuracy on some of the easier throws -, a better deep ball and he can throw with touch whereas Kap often tries to riffle the ball to his receivers. Tyrod is also a better scrambler. Kap has great top-end speed but he's very stiff and can't make people miss. Tyrod is very shifty and can give you Russell Wilson type of plays every once in a while.
[ Edited by TWD_Fan on Dec 22, 2016 at 4:23 AM ]
the interest in Tyrod has been confirmed

Im all for it. Perfect guy to fill in while we gather up some offensive weapons, protection, and defensive pieces while also keeping us competitive.

Id rather stockpile some picks and wait til next year to cash in on Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, or Browning. 2018 QB class will be super legit
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Mar 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM ]

If Kyle is interested in him, then im all for it. It can't be more than a stopgap cause i dont think he can elevate a team to contenders.
Hell yea! Lets get this kid signed!
He is a complete waste of money in my opinion. He is barely better than Colin Kaepernick and he has limitations. He will never be a good to great quarterback he has just been solid. Not a game changer and we actually need a game changer at quarterback. Once and for all we need a very good player. He is not that. He will waste $15 million and we might win a few more games with him which would lower our probable draft position next year to around 15th instead of maybe top 5 to 10. Then that will hurt our chances at getting a top quarterback unless we trade all of our draft capital.

This would not be a good move whatsoever
Originally posted by jcs:
He's going to be stop gap making starter money.

This. He's going to be looking for a long term deal and someone will give it to him.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
the interest in Tyrod has been confirmed

Just because its being reported doesn't mean there is any legitimacy to it. You're going to hear about the 49ers being interested in nearly every single major free agent that is out there due to the fact that they have a new GM that has no previous track record and a ton of cap space, so when agents are desperately seeking leverage, they are going to be throwing the 49ers out there as a team that credibly might have interest, regardless of whether they actually do or not.

The column I posted from Michael Lombardi in the free agent forum talks about just that. Most of the time its more the agents projecting interest than a team doing so. Its possible that the 49ers will kick the tires on Taylor but I doubt it will be for what some other teams are going to be willing to pay him and the number of years they will be looking to commit to him.
Share 49ersWebzone