LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

Mike Nolan as gm?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Would rather have Dennis Erickson over Mike no-win to be honest
How about someone who has never worked with Jed and Paraag, someone with fresh ideas and a different perspective who doesn't have the stink of the York owned 49ers all over them?
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
I cant believe this discussion is even up for debate
nolan is a fast talker and he is notorious for throwing our players under the bus. start fresh, get someone new. no more retreads
I actually have a lot of respect for Nolan's football mind. I can't say whether it was he or McCloughan that should get credit for the roster that Harbaugh inherited... (I think they deserve equal credit though), but Nolan's downfalls were that he never had a consistent offensive coordinator and he threw players under the bus. Who knows what would've happened to our team if we had Mike McCarthy or Norv Turner for the entirety of Alex Smith's formative years?

It's not the craziest idea for him to come back, but I don't think anybody really wants him back here in a position of power.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
In an interview he said we the niner faithful are some jerks that only want winners now.

How is that incorrect?
Please God, no.
Rollin with Nolan
[ Edited by TheHYDE49er on Dec 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM ]
  • dmax
  • Veteran
good god no
As EVP in charge of wardrobe, most definitely.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Nolan was not much of a coach and he will NOT be any different as a GM..
  • jcs
  • Veteran
This dude is still taking credit for Harbaughs success lol
Uh, OMG no! There's a reason he's not coaching right now, he sucks. I think he sounds like an idiot we he talks/does interviews. Man that would be terrible... please don't wish that on us!
[ Edited by bakefootball on Dec 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM ]
Not GM - make him D-Coordinator
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
In an interview he said we the niner faithful are some jerks that only want winners now.

How is that incorrect?

It's not. He does SXM NFL radio every week. He was asked if the 49ers offered him the GM job would he take it? He said, "In a hear beat."

Nolan took over a horrible 49ers team in 2005. He brought in Scot McCloughan to help rebuild what was dismantled.
Nolan had Mike McCarthy in 2005 and even tho the team was 30th in points for one of the worst offenses of all time he was lost to GB lol.
Nolan brought in Norv Turner, who had a decent year with Smith then was lost to SD.
Nolan brought in Jim Hostler, who after Smith's injury was left with Dilfer, Hill and Weinke lol all playing games at QB. That team was 32nd in points for 13.7ppg one of the worst 49ers offenses of all time.

Draft 2005
Nolan himself said they made a mistake on Smith. Should have taken Aaron. Live and learn.

He said that they had a first round grade on Frank Gore but because of his knee injuries in college they flipped his draft card over and wrote Round 3 on the back. He said if he was still available in the 3rd they'd take him. Boom. Greatest 49ers RB ever.

2006 Draft
VD in the first and D. Walker in the 6th.

2007 Draft
Willis and Staley in the 1st

2008 Draft
Pretty much a bust like 2012 was for Trent

Nolan wasn't a very good HC. Him and Scot did help build the foundation of what the team was.
Share 49ersWebzone