There are 225 users in the forums

Jabrill Peppers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Didn't see a thread for this guy yet. He looks super talented and athletic. I know we've invested a lot of picks in our defensive backs, but having a safety that can actually cover would help a ton. Some say he reminds them of Polamalu or Charles Woodson. What do you guys think of this guy?
Mayock, I think, said he had him ranked 4th overall today when asked.
Only way I can see the team drafting him is if they trade back and he is the BPA. Otherwise, not worth pondering because it's extremely unlikely.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Guy is one of the best players in the nation. Absolutely elite, franchise type player.
No
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If Baalke almost traded up for Jalen Ramsey, you can pretty much expect Peppers to be a 9er in 2017.
If the guy was big enough for ILB in the pros I would be all for it.
I think Peppers, Garrett, and Fournett are going to be the best players that aren't QBS from what I've seen so far. I wouldn't be upset if we added someone of Peppers athleticism. He's a true sideline to sideline defender, that's experienced in press coverage against receivers, can cover a tight end which have been touching us these past few years, and is a legit return guy that is a threat to score points on defense. I agree we still need an ILB and pass rushers, but if Garrett is off the board I feel this might be a good pickup for BPA at this point, because you never know how the QBS will shake out.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Via Charlie Campbell at WalterFootball thus take it with a grain of salt :

Sources say they see Peppers as a hybrid safety/linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic skill set to play pass coverage, but often can be caught flat-footed. His ball skills aren't special either, as he has zero interceptions in his collegiate career. Thus, some sources think Peppers would fit best as a safety in the middle of the field. That would allow him to make plays off his instincts, and he could be a weapon in pass coverage on tight ends, blitzing quarterbacks, playing zone, and defending the run. There is no doubt that Peppers has a ton of athletic upside. He could play safety and dime linebacker, similar to Deone Bucannon. Peppers should also be used on special teams as he is a dangerous weapon there.

and

Sources with some NFL teams think that Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers has been overhyped. Here is how one NFC scouting director broke down Peppers, "First of all, he has zero interceptions in his collegiate career, and that is a red flag to me. Peppers is a great athlete, an explosive athlete, but he's not instinctive like a Tyrann Mathieu, and he's not a natural cover guy like Patrick Peterson. In the NFL, he's a starting strong safety that can walk down to cover the slot, kind of like how the Saints use Kenny Vaccaro. Jabrill is not a true free safety."
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by evil:
Via Charlie Campbell at WalterFootball thus take it with a grain of salt :

Sources say they see Peppers as a hybrid safety/linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic skill set to play pass coverage, but often can be caught flat-footed. His ball skills aren't special either, as he has zero interceptions in his collegiate career. Thus, some sources think Peppers would fit best as a safety in the middle of the field. That would allow him to make plays off his instincts, and he could be a weapon in pass coverage on tight ends, blitzing quarterbacks, playing zone, and defending the run. There is no doubt that Peppers has a ton of athletic upside. He could play safety and dime linebacker, similar to Deone Bucannon. Peppers should also be used on special teams as he is a dangerous weapon there.

and

Sources with some NFL teams think that Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers has been overhyped. Here is how one NFC scouting director broke down Peppers, "First of all, he has zero interceptions in his collegiate career, and that is a red flag to me. Peppers is a great athlete, an explosive athlete, but he's not instinctive like a Tyrann Mathieu, and he's not a natural cover guy like Patrick Peterson. In the NFL, he's a starting strong safety that can walk down to cover the slot, kind of like how the Saints use Kenny Vaccaro. Jabrill is not a true free safety."

Peppers leaps off the screen whenever he is playing. He will be one of the best players coming out of the draft. Regardless of his lack of ints, he constantly makes plays every single game.

I'm a fan

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If Baalke almost traded up for Jalen Ramsey, you can pretty much expect Peppers to be a 9er in 2017.

I know 49ers fans would freak out if that was the pick but he is one of the best players in the country & probably a top 5 prospect.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 6, 2016 at 8:19 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tman:
Peppers leaps off the screen whenever he is playing. He will be one of the best players coming out of the draft. Regardless of his lack of ints, he constantly makes plays every single game.

I'm a fan

Like I said, take what is said with a grain of salt. Probably not the last of these types of questions and concerns we will hear from the rumor mill, happens to almost every player as sources are sometimes truthful and sometimes full of s**t. It is something one can keep in mind when watching him play and one can decide for themselves whether they agree or disagree with the assessment.
Good player but you don't spend a top 3 pick on a DB...pass we need qb pass rush
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Good player but you don't spend a top 3 pick on a DB...pass we need qb pass rush

Yeah we don't need any additions to our already young secondary. Which sucks cause this draft is loaded with phenomenal DBs. Which in my opinion is a knock on Baalke. Spending 3 picks on DBs last year when anyone who follows college football saw this as a potential great class. I get drafting Robinson and he is showing why he started as a true freshman at LSU. But Redmond and Prince smh
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Yeah we don't need any additions to our already young secondary. Which sucks cause this draft is loaded with phenomenal DBs. Which in my opinion is a knock on Baalke. Spending 3 picks on DBs last year when anyone who follows college football saw this as a potential great class. I get drafting Robinson and he is showing why he started as a true freshman at LSU. But Redmond and Prince smh

My only issue with Redmond was the injury, before that injury he was looked at as a low 1st high 2nd rd pick...I think he's close to playing and I love his speed (4.36) and quick change of direction, he's a perfect fit in the slot.

Prince ehh what was he a 7th rd pick? I had a issue with the tart pick in the 2nd more than anything.

I do agree there's some good DBs in this draft hopefully that pushes talent at other positions in our lap
Share 49ersWebzone