There are 177 users in the forums

Who is the Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers next season?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Who is the Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers next season?

I don't think it matters who the head coach is until the FO puts together a coherent plan of what they want the 49ers to look like. To me the 49ers look like a team without an identity. I think Baalke knows how to scout talent as well as anybody. But what I don't see is a plan for how the players fit together to make a cohesive team. The best teams in the league appear to have a vision of what they want their team to look like (a vision based on a collaboration between the GM and coach) and then go out and find players that fit the profile they are looking for. Some of the best teams in the league don't necessarily have the best talent - they have players that work in their system. Until the 49ers know what kind of team they want to be and have a plan on how to get there, I don't think any of the coaches mentioned in the poll can succeed. Whether the team sticks with Chip or moves on to somebody else, I think the key is that the front office and the coaching staff share a common vision so that the right type of players are being drafted and the coaching staff has the right people to develop those players - especially the bottom 1/3 of the roster where the depth can make all the difference when injuries hit the starters.
[ Edited by Canfan on Oct 21, 2016 at 10:52 AM ]
This is crazy...no way in hell is Chip getting fired. What HC in their right mind would want to come work for a franchise that keeps having so much turnover? NO ONE that's who.

Chip has at least two years to make some sort of change, Baalke is the one that should be losing his job.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This is crazy...no way in hell is Chip getting fired. What HC in their right mind would want to come work for a franchise that keeps having so much turnover? NO ONE that's who.

Chip has at least two years to make some sort of change, Baalke is the one that should be losing his job.
Chip is going to get his players this coming offseason
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Chip is going to get his players this coming offseason

Absolutely

Depends, what is Jim Tomsula doing these days? Norv Turner might be willing to give it a go, after all, 50th time is the charm.
If not one of the high school coaches around hear, then maybe a local Pop Warner Coach would take the job?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Depends, what is Jim Tomsula doing these days? Norv Turner might be willing to give it a go, after all, 50th time is the charm.

LOL I'd like to see what Jim T is up too....just getting paid to do nothing not a bad gig.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I like Norv the coordinator but we've already crossed that bridge with him here. Why would he leave a situation to be a champion to come to this political hell hole.
Originally posted by jcs:
I like Norv the coordinator but we've already crossed that bridge with him here. Why would he leave a situation to be a champion to come to this political hell hole.

Mostly a joke but I doubt Norv has kicked the head coaching bug. He seems like a real stubborn, "next time it will all work out" type.
Originally posted by jcs:

Mostly a joke but I doubt Norv has kicked the head coaching bug. He seems like a real stubborn, "next time it will all work out" type.

Agree

Excellent OC - wish we had him.

I don't think Kelly is going anywhrere unless he wants out.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Why would any coach with options want to come here??? The 49ers have no franchise QB and are deep in the rebuilding process. The best they can do is hold on to Kelly for a few more years, if he turns out to not be the guy, hopefully by that point the roster is a bit further along and they have at least a young QB to develop.

Why did Hue Jackson (the #1 coaching candidate last off season) take the worst head coaching job? Everyone wanted to interview him. This isn't college football where Louisville can win a national title and still not be as good of job as one of the big 5 schools. NFL has 32 jobs and when one comes open you are most likely going to take it.

Same thing was said with Harbaugh but he chose Michigan over any other NFL team despite he really wants his own Superbowl ring. But also have absolute control, support and admiration of the football program and the students while if he decided to get another chance on a rebuild team he had to work together to an owner/executives whim and vision over his own.

Same gonna happen with Kelly specially if a big football program give him the total dominance of their football program. He could return to Oregon where he was loved and praised as a god, USC who really need a dynamic offensive mind coach, LSU is a tentative offer considering he wanted to coach on SEC, Texas could have mutual aid considering current Big 12 status.

I found really suspicious on the offseason he couldn't take a QB by himself either draft or FA above the level of Thaddeus Lewis and Jeff Driskell. Even if Baalke leaves the franchise, Jen Dork still gonna stick his powdered nose of who comes and who's not.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
If not one of the high school coaches around hear, then maybe a local Pop Warner Coach would take the job?

This. Jed has been running a coaching internship program ever since they fired Mariucci.
[ Edited by JimA49ers on Oct 23, 2016 at 7:27 AM ]
We should've went the Shannahan route 2 years ago, but we didn't. We need stability. Chip gets another year.
He is not going to fire a coach after 1 year 2 years in a row. No way.
Share 49ersWebzone