LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 405 users in the forums

Jimmy Garrapolo to the niners?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
If we want Garappolo, we will have to trade for him. He is barely in his third year of his 4 year contract and patriots would probably take his 5th year option wto trade him if they havent already.

This was Belichicks plan from before the draft, show off Garappolo while Brady is suspended and trade him for multiple picks. Thats why they picked up Briskett, so Brady would have a reliable backup after Garoppolo is dealt
Iirc the 5th year option is only applicable if the draftee was picked in round one. He was drafted in round 2 though.

BTW, I don't think that a end-3rd-round pick can be considered as a future franchise QB. I'd rather assume that the Pats want to build up a career backup for Garoppolo.

oh dang, thought he was a first rounder. you're right.

Well the tricky thing with Garappolo and Brady is that they would have to choose between them in 2018. No way Garappolo resigns with them in 2018 to wait for brady to hand over the starting spot. I think brady still has about 3 years left in him too. Patriots would have to deal Garappolo so they get something out of him or they can very well trade brady. I think Brady is the cheaper option for them because he already made his fortune and has a team friendly deal while garappolo will be looking for his big payday
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Sep 12, 2016 at 4:11 PM ]
Fools gold
Originally posted by Joecool:
Don't you know. NE QB's don't do well on other teams! Just like NE Head Coaches and Coordinators!

... and GMs.
If we want Garappolo, we will have to trade for him. He is barely in his third year of his 4 year contract and patriots would probably take his 5th year option wto trade him if they havent already.

This was Belichicks plan from before the draft, show off Garappolo while Brady is suspended and trade him for multiple picks. Thats why they picked up Briskett, so Brady would have a reliable backup after Garoppolo is dealt
Iirc the 5th year option is only applicable if the draftee was picked in round one. He was drafted in round 2 though.

BTW, I don't think that a end-3rd-round pick can be considered as a future franchise QB. I'd rather assume that the Pats want to build up a career backup for Garoppolo.

Well the tricky thing with Garappolo and Brady is that they would have to choose between them in 2018. No way Garappolo resigns with them in 2018 to wait for brady to hand over the starting spot. I think brady still has about 3 years left in him too. Patriots would have to deal Garappolo so they get something out of him or they can very well trade brady. I think Brady is the cheaper option for them because he already made his fortune and has a team friendly deal while garappolo will be looking for his big payday
No problem.

If it comes down to Brady or Garappolo, they will take the latter one, imho. Brady turned 39 last month, he won't do it forever and especially not beyond 2018.
Given that franchise QB don't grow on trees, they won't risk to put all the chips on a 39yr-old QB that much.
[ Edited by communist on Sep 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM ]

No problem.

If it comes down to Brady or Garappolo, they will take the latter one, imho. Brady turned 39 last month, he won't do it forever and especially not beyond 2018.
Given that franchise QB don't grow on trees, they won't risk to put all the chips on a 39yr-old QB that much.

if they do go Garappolo, then maybe Brady considers coming home and winning a SB for his childhood team

No problem.

if they do go Garappolo, then maybe Brady considers coming home and winning a SB for his childhood team

Brady in a chip O.......
He ain't coming here. Lock this
He is legit, but we wont get him.

Was my favorite QB in his draft class. Guys like Phoenix know it has been a dream of mine to see him Starting for the 49ers since he announced for the draft, so it will never happen. But i do believe he is a legit QB. He is not necessarily simply a product of the system.
It is safe to say some team will take a serious shot at him in the off-season. Always a ton of QB starved teams.
Sign me up. Quick release and has scramble ability.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
It is safe to say some team will take a serious shot at him in the off-season. Always a ton of QB starved teams.

If Belichick believes he's the next Patriot QB he stays. Brady turns 40 next August, the number speaks for itself. Unless Big Papi can come through with the soma.
  • titan
  • Veteran
One game of happiness! Haha
  • Jiks
Yeah... Im going to wait to see our guys play and Garropolo(sp) play some more before I start thinking about next year.
I'll pass.
As many have noted, Brady is turning 40 before next season.

If Belichick is willing to trade Garoppolo, it means he's not worth trading for. It's as simple as that.
Share 49ersWebzone