LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Aqib Talib

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Of all the great defenses over the last 3 decades or so every single one of them had a dirtbag or two on its roster. We currently have none. If we could add Talib for a minimal investment I would be stoked. Witherspoon,Talib,Williams and say Meeks would be the best set of corners we have had in ages. Even if it's not Talib I envision Lynch making a trade or 2 and adding a couple of above average starters on defence. I don't want to overpay for the fa's available at corner. Trades are becoming more and more common in today's nfl with the steady rise of the salary cap. Lynch knows this,I think he will capitalize

I like how you think. Even dangling a messily 7th round draft choice may get the job done. Also, sign Maxwell from the Seahawks; and the 49ers have a formidable 4 CB group.
Denver might be looking to cut Talib, so perhaps offering a 7th, and then perhaps reworking his contract a little would make good sense. It would allow us to be a little more free with our 1st round pick, in that we're not forced to draft a DB, and if there's not value there for an edge rusher, we could look to move down a little and get more picks to play with. Talib would be good opposite Witherspoon.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
That Benjamin Albright dude said in a podcast recently, that he thinks the 49ers are more likely to trade for Talib, than sign Trumaine Johnson as a splashy expensive FA.
  • KPaul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
That Benjamin Albright dude said in a podcast recently, that he thinks the 49ers are more likely to trade for Talib, than sign Trumaine Johnson as a splashy expensive FA.

Prefer Talib on the cheap over most of the other options.

He brings a veteran and vocal presence. It is risky, but I think we would benefit from some of that nastiness on D.
Damn there would be a riot. Niner fans on raiders all while talib and crabs go at it.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Talib is gangsta!!! I don't like his antics, but he will bring toughness to the club.

Dude still has two yrs left lol, he shouldn't be in a situation to demand anything imo
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 7, 2018 at 3:04 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Dude still has two yrs left lol, he shouldn't be in a situation to demand anything imo

Where is he demanding?
He's old (32), expensive ($20M/2 yrs remaining), and a headcase.

I know were in the market for a veteran corner, but we can do better.
Originally posted by post_primitive:

This. I'd rather roll with Trumaine Johnson

• Antix
  • Veteran

I think we're lookong at every possibility there is which I can appreciate. I'm happy they checked it out and I'm happy it didn't work out.
Originally posted by Antix:

I think we're lookong at every possibility there is which I can appreciate. I'm happy they checked it out and I'm happy it didn't work out.

Actually, Talib would have been a great fit if you believe Witherspoon could develop into a number 1 CB in San Francisco. An experienced veteran from a winning culture who doesn't jeopardize your ability to extend Witherspoon in the future.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 7, 2018 at 3:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Antix:

Definitely.

Johnson, Fuller, or Melvin have my votes. And a couple mid-round flyers on prospects w/length.
I really don't want this guy
Rather have Talib then Johnson. Talib will retire soon, be cheaper and he's just a better player IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone