Originally posted by SofaKing:
Super Bowl 47

/endthread

And the Seattle NFCCG
Doubtful.
Old news
?
[ Edited by 16to87 on Sep 7, 2016 at 2:07 PM ]
Football and basketball seem like they'd be easy to rig. The rules are soooooo vague.

Baseball to me would be harder because generally there aren't any subjective rulings. Even expanding a strike zone is very noticeable to anyone watching.

Do I think they fix games in the NFL? No

Do I think they fix games in the NBA? As a kings fan, absolutely.

But in all seriousness, I doubt they truly rig the games (except game 6). But I'm sure they nudge things in one direction, especially in the NBA to keep playoff series going.

The Draymond Green suspension comes to mind. Was it deserved??? Debatable. But I'm sure the prospect of keeping the series going made the choice pretty easy.
[ Edited by eforbes12 on Sep 6, 2016 at 6:51 PM ]
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Jasta.
Always amazes me when they bring the chain gang out to measure a first down when one of the refs basically just guessed where the ball got to in the chaos of the last play. The measuring part is just a formality to pretend like it's an exact science, the head ref should just call it a first or not and be done with it.

Actually rigging games? I doubt it. Too many people with too much to gain and too much to lose if it gets out in any sport. Rigging is usually confined to individual players or sometimes referees trying to make a quick buck on gambling and they're usually caught.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Super Bowl 47

/endthread

This is always interesting to me. Most fans point to the last series of a close game to be the reason for the outcome. While it is the deciding factor the game is 60 min long. The refs never made LaLameAss James fumble the ball or Kap throw an INT in that game. Two huge potential scoring drives blown that could have changed the entire outlook of how that game turned out. No one made the 49ers DB's go full retard and give up a TD bomb. lol

Might as well just say it was aliens.
Sure, games can be rigged. Remember, you're rigging the spread, not the winner or loser. A key official, coach, or skill player on the offense can change the score without fear of detection. so long as the payoff (in a numbered Swiss bank account, or your sister/child gets to stay alive) can't be traced to something you did. Basketball and tennis are easier than football or baseball -- fewer variables -- but no doubt it's been going on since people began walking without use of knuckles.

To paraphrase Michael Corleone, if anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can get to anyone.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Sep 7, 2016 at 9:56 AM ]
Super Bowl 47

/endthread

2013 NFCC game was WAY worse. The stakes were higher in the superbowl but the refs singlehandedly cost us that game.
I guess it could be something the league office has some refs call a game more favorably one way. But I personally know a few coaches and a couple players, non have ever given the indication of the games are rigged

Thread is fail.

Referrees in the post season let players play ALOT more than in the regular season..

They make sh*t calls just like they make great calls, like it is in ANY sport. they are human.

Was the NFL once rigged? Possibly, but in todays day in age, i highly, highly doubt such a huge conspiracy could never be leaked with FACTS. any youtube video you see is pure consipracy, they say the conspiracy is fact, but in reality its just conspiracy and theory.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Thread is fail.

Referrees in the post season let players play ALOT more than in the regular season..

They make sh*t calls just like they make great calls, like it is in ANY sport. they are human.

Was the NFL once rigged? Possibly, but in todays day in age, i highly, highly doubt such a huge conspiracy could never be leaked with FACTS. any youtube video you see is pure consipracy, they say the conspiracy is fact, but in reality its just conspiracy and theory.

It doesn't need to be a conspiracy. All you have to do to rig a game is get to the referee (by bribe, threat, etc. etc.). The have final say on all the calls so there doesn't need to be some far-reaching conspiracy for it to work. I've seen quite a few calls (and non-calls) that I can only explain by assuming someone left a bag of money on the ref's doorstep. Obviously, one could also pay a player to throw the game.

How the hell would we know that the QB "didn't see the defender" when he threw that pick in the fourth? Or that one of the defensive players genuinely missed that crucial tackle that gave the other team the go ahead TD?

That isn't to say that I think every game is rigged. Just saying that it's very possible and probably happens more than people realize.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Super Bowl 47

/endthread

This is always interesting to me. Most fans point to the last series of a close game to be the reason for the outcome. While it is the deciding factor the game is 60 min long. The refs never made LaLameAss James fumble the ball or Kap throw an INT in that game. Two huge potential scoring drives blown that could have changed the entire outlook of how that game turned out. No one made the 49ers DB's go full retard and give up a TD bomb. lol

Might as well just say it was aliens.

Idk dude. Hard to say that the ref standing directly in front of the hold on that Jacoby Jones TD didn't see it.

And that's before we get to the blatant interference on Crabs.
  • titan
  • Veteran
It's easy. Pull a flag on the team you don't want to win kill their momentum with holding or off side. On offense make sure you give the other team a pass interference call on 4th and 30 with a Hail Mary pass.
Here's the problem: let's say the league is rigged, and you cite the NFCCG as evidence of this (totally disagree that it was rigged, but I'll humor this discussion for a second)...

Even if that's true, then you have to accept the possibility that sometimes games are rigged in favor of the 49ers. The league wanted the Seahawks in the Super Bowl that year? Well, maybe they wanted a 49ers-Seahawks NFCCG, and pulled some strings to make that happen? Maybe the only reason the 49ers got to the NFCCG in the first place is because that's what the league decided.

If you think the league is rigged, you can't just use it as an excuse for our losses, but then ignore that games could be rigged to benefit us. It's a double-edged sword.

Anyway, all of this talk of the league being rigged is just asinine anyway. Sometimes more calls benefit one team more than the other in a game of football -- sometimes it's just a matter of luck or good fortune.
Share 49ersWebzone