LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Does the NFL want to attract International Players?

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/jarryd-hayne-if-the-nfl-had-a-minor-league-id-still-be-playing/

The NCAA provides most of the talent for the NFL but would the sport be better if there was a development league for NON college players.

It has been attempted before with many iterations and this year NCAA player who failed to get drafted and others have signed on for the NGL......but it is in Australia.
The issue here is the structure of the sport.

In Oz, all sports are grass roots and up. The better you are, regardless of origin, the higher you can go, ultimately if good enough, being drafted/selected into the highest level competition.

NFL is, as I understand it a small club of owners who basically decide how it all works. They essentially underwrite the league, make money from it and control the governance. Americans are best at American football because it is quintessentially American - and expensive equipment wise to get into, which makes it more difficult to export successfully on any significant level or scale overseas to be able to build skillset and mindset to successfully transition to NFL.
Locally, who would play it? Just having a 2nd tier minor league would still require professional players (requiring funding), otherwise it would need to be amateur (which would attract even less financially). It would end up consisting of waning former NFL players alongside mostly unsuccessful draft nominees. There may be a small handful of outsiders, but don't hold your breath on that being significant.
Certainly there may be prospective benefits for the NFL in that those not successful in the NFL draft may get drafted to the minor league, improve significantly and impress major franchises enough to get in as FA. But why would the owners even bother offering funds when each year along with the college based draft there is all those free agents with which to build a potentially successful team around a core of proven performers.
Bringing players in from outside the current structure is pure novelty or project. While the sport is owner/franchise based, I don't see the likelihood of a minor league, or if it does happen, I don't see it drawing significantly from outside the college system. It is a sport that is simply not very accessible.

Just my thoughts. It's a pity, because it is a lovely game.
It would appear that the yawn factor for this subject is very high in North America.

Hayne is an idiot. NFL is an institution not to be tampered with. Made in such a way that is liked by them and yes tightly held by self interested team owners. Also the the belief that the international world is already in the USA through immigration etc.

Nothing is stopping anyone else making an alternate league but without the support of the college system and the NFL community it would likely die quickly since there already is CFL, AFL, NGL and many other amateur leagues.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
It would appear that the yawn factor for this subject is very high in North America.

Hayne is an idiot. NFL is an institution not to be tampered with. Made in such a way that is liked by them and yes tightly held by self interested team owners. Also the the belief that the international world is already in the USA through immigration etc.

Nothing is stopping anyone else making an alternate league but without the support of the college system and the NFL community it would likely die quickly since there already is CFL, AFL, NGL and many other amateur leagues.

I'd actually reply, like talking with you Aussies. But I'm too drunk and tired. Lol
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I'd actually reply, like talking with you Aussies. But I'm too drunk and tired. Lol

Drunk replies are good ;) and welcome ...

have another one for me.
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran

Cheers frozen
We like talking with U2
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/jarryd-hayne-if-the-nfl-had-a-minor-league-id-still-be-playing/

The NCAA provides most of the talent for the NFL but would the sport be better if there was a development league for NON college players.

It has been attempted before with many iterations and this year NCAA player who failed to get drafted and others have signed on for the NGL......but it is in Australia.

I suppose this can depend on weather the governing bodies are keen to grow the pie, or are content to sit on what is
Originally posted by JoNeo:
I suppose this can depend on weather the governing bodies are keen to grow the pie, or are content to sit on what is

I am sure if there is a buck in it and the current franchise owners would benefit then it would work out. Bit in reality no one wants to follow a second division comp of rejects and undrafted free agents from the NFL.
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Spose you're right
Imagine a reserve grade circus or pop star or monster trucks show for example. Everyone would want to wait
and pay for tickets to the real show
Good point

Many of the Asian countries are too hot and the equipment is too expensive. I'm sure Russia could have some excellent talent. Basketball is making major advancements throughout the world. Practically every country has a pro team. The NBA has players from all over the globe, baseball relies on South America.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
once the NFL starts a ladies league, yes.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
once the NFL starts a ladies league, yes.

Ther is the lingerie league.

If they have a proper women's league then they could scout the European men's soccer for players too. Lol.
Yup they don't know about CTE yet.
Germany will be full of Boritz jerseys
Share 49ersWebzone