There are 115 users in the forums

Top 6 WRs of All-Time

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by xberesx:
No love for Sterling Sharpe

Originally posted by xcfan:
Jerry rice benefited greatly from montana/young, but sterling sharp was a more talented wr and football player, and would be considered the goat if he had a long career as a 49er and rice was somewhere else.

You can say that about so many players, can't play those what if games, we can just look at their actual accomplishments. Nobody put the effort that Jerry did into his craft, the guy was catching balls the day after winning the SB in '94. Plenty of guys had more physical talent than Jerry and yet Jerry's at the top of every significant of all the record books. Sharpe was the more physically gifted athlete but since when is that the primary criteria for greatness?

Sharpe was also a prima donna, refused to do interviews, tried to hold out for bigger contracts early in his career and I believe Holmgren said that the locker room improved immensely once he left the team. Robert Brooks killed it the year after Sharpe left and easily replaced his production before his injury and Antonio Freeman took up the mantle after that. Favre won his MVPs once Sharpe was gone and that team kept ticking without Sterling.
lol, you guys are way off.

Rice
Owens
Moss
Brown
Don Hudson
Steve Largent
I'm ranking this based on whether or not they can be used in any NFL offense and not just in a certain type of offense that accentuates their strengths. Basically, these are the WR's ranked because I think they make any offense better instead of some aspects of that offense being great while other aspects will suffer.

1. Rice - put him in any offense and there's nothing he can't do.
  2. TO - same as Rice but Rice was much more polished and more sure-handed
  3. Moss - ahead of Harrison because he has displayed that he can run the short routes effectively...just that his ability to go deep was so great that you can't help but use him for that more often. The Randy Ratio.
  4. Sterling Sharpe - Do think he would have been one of the great all around receivers if he didn't have the injury.
  5. Tim Brown - Dude can run any route precisely. Smaller version of Jerry Rice. Only thing is that he wasn't used with the deep ball as much
  6. Marvin Harrison - I can switch him and Brown as they are very similar
  7. Chris Carter - Dude was money but lacked the deep speed.
Every answer should start with Rice. If not then you don't know stats, records, or football.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Every answer should start with Rice. If not then you don't know stats, records, or football.

2. Terrell Owens
3. Tim Brown
4. Steve Largent
5. John Stallworth
6. Charlie Joiner
7. Marvin Harrison

It's so many great receivers its to pick a top 6 but there's only one thing that's for sure and that's Jerry Rice at #1 everyone else is far behind so I named 2-7
2. Terrell Owens
3. Tim Brown
4. Steve Largent
5. John Stallworth
6. Charlie Joiner
7. Marvin Harrison

It's so many great receivers its to pick a top 6 but there's only one thing that's for sure and that's Jerry Rice at #1 everyone else is far behind so I named 2-7
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The career TD reception leaders says it all, imo.

Jerry 197
Moss 156
TO 153
Carter 130
Harrison 128

Jerry was the best all around WR. Moss was the best deep threat. TO the best power WR. Carter the best possession WR. Harrison was a perfect route runner.

6-10 is when it gets hard to judge, imo.

Guys like Largent, Fitz, Brown, Bruce, Reed were all great WRs.

Don Hutson who played in a non passing era when teams only played 11 or 12 games the guy led the league in TD catches 9 of his 11 years played. 99 career TD catches is amazing for that time.

Lance Alworth snagged 85 TD catches in 10 years when they only played 14 games a season. Also a great career.

1. Jerry Rice
2. Don Hutson
3. Randy Moss
4. Terrell Owens
5. Cris Carter
6. Marvin Harrison
Share 49ersWebzone