LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

James Jones, Homeless for 15 years

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
I always give cash and by food for homeless ppl, cant judge them. Many ppl just see lazy failures but I see someone who came from a tougher childhood than I did. So to show God my appreciation I give back when I can.

Thank you. That's wonderful.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
And now look at Johnny Manziel, growing up rich, all the talent in the world, and basically just threw it all away.

Great example of the other extreme.

One of our greatest American writers, John Steinbeck, was a great champion of the poor. His view was that there was a strength of spirit, mind and body among the working classes that most of the wealthy just didn't have because their lives were too easy and entitled.

I wondered early on if Manziel, who grew up in a wealthy Texas oil family would be tough enough. He looked like he had tremendous talent, but was he mentally and physically tough?
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
I always feel sorry for the guys who do it just as tough, who work their butts off but through bad luck with injuries, opportunity or just genetics they never get the fairy tale ending.

Sadly there's a hell of a lot more of them than the other way around.
Originally posted by Jasta:
I always feel sorry for the guys who do it just as tough, who work their butts off but through bad luck with injuries, opportunity or just genetics they never get the fairy tale ending.

Sadly there's a hell of a lot more of them than the other way around.

I'm guessing it's somewhere around 10,000 to 1 odds - very steep.
Well, that's a change, compared to this douchebag:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/17/san-francisco-tech-open-letter-i-dont-want-to-see-homeless-riff-raff

Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Wow, what a powerful story. I can't even imagine have to see my moms begging people for money in front of a 7-11. Damn, relative to James Jones I was a terrible son.

Gonna have to think twice maybe 4x before I ignore people asking for money or help.

Beautiful!

I've always found it amazing how many of these great athletes came from such tough back stories. James Jones - amazing story. Jimmy Graham - that's something that could have been penned by Charles Dickens.

And then, think about Patrick Willis and Jerry Rice - busting their young asses in the fields and catching bricks on roofs.

Patrick willis' story was insane, I was blown away by the E60 on him
Navarro's was crazy too.

Similar to my pops except my gramps is still alive and my dad won't talk to him out of inner rage.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I've always found it amazing how many of these great athletes came from such tough back stories. James Jones - amazing story. Jimmy Graham - that's something that could have been penned by Charles Dickens.

And then, think about Patrick Willis and Jerry Rice - busting their young asses in the fields and catching bricks on roofs.

Patrick willis' story was insane, I was blown away by the E60 on him
Navarro's was crazy too.

Similar to my pops except my gramps is still alive and my dad won't talk to him out of inner rage.

Ya Bowmans story was crazy too... thats why him and willis are so humble... they went thru a lot
Share 49ersWebzone