LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Trade for....Cordarrelle Patterson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CityKing415:
Ted Ginn 2.0

Except Ginn was a far superior receiver and also a pretty good punt returner. The next punt that Patterson returns will be his first ever. I'm sure there is good reason for that.
Ted Ginn all over again
  • Antix
  • Veteran
We really need to spend a draft pick and get a guy who has a roster spot just for PR. If he can do something else, great. Its such a game changing position that we always ignore. We've given spots to guys like Ventrone and that other dude who's name i cant remember. How about we do it for a giy who can actually change games for us.

Oh..and meh to Patterson. Sounds like Jerome Simpson all over again.
  • thl408
On top of Patterson not being able to run routes with precision, he has trouble learning a playbook. This caused Norv Turner to not play him much. It's one thing to run routes incorrectly (technique), it's another to run the incorrect route and screw up plays.
  • dj43
Amazing how so many felt this guy would be great coming out of college but he hasn't come close to matching his press clippings.
He'd improve our return game , plus he would fit in nicely in Chip's system , he does have playmaking skills , but it seems the Vikes tried too hard to make him an outside threat , and that failed because Bridgewater is not a deep passing QB, plus they rarely used 3 or 4 WR sets , Stephon Diggs and Mike Wallace got the lions share of snaps, and neither of them ever became downfield weapons either ....but I can see Patterson being a nice weapon for us ...a 6th round pick should do the trick
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:31 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:
On top of Patterson not being able to run routes with precision, he has trouble learning a playbook. This caused Norv Turner to not play him much. It's one thing to run routes incorrectly (technique), it's another to run the incorrect route and screw up plays.

IOW, he just isn't very bright.

Reality is; he is a bust. We have a number of young receivers who are more advanced than Patterson yet still need more reps and coaching. No reason to waste time on this guy.
Originally posted by dj43:
IOW, he just isn't very bright.

Reality is; he is a bust. We have a number of young receivers who are more advanced than Patterson yet still need more reps and coaching. No reason to waste time on this guy.

He was way overdrafted. One year at Tennessee where he dominated with his athleticism and little else. Give me a guy that is smaller, not as fast but a precise route runner over Patterson anyday.

He isnt going to get any smarter and he is so far behind the 8-ball in route running that he'd have to bust his ass for a few years just to be average. If you trade for him, youre using a roster spot for a guy who will contribute as a kick returner and nothing more.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
so, you guys would not trade a 3rd rounder for Patterson??
Originally posted by 9moon:

Absolutely not - Patterson has one year on his contract with a fifth year team option that would cost a little more. He may not be a good WR yet after 2 years of work on route running and he'll be a free agent then.

I'd much rather have a raw player in the 3rd round than a raw player in the 4th year of his rookie contract who has shown he's a slow learner. 5th-6th round picks are lottery tickets anyways, so I wouldn't mind trading one of those for him. The reward isn't as great if he plays well because he's only signed for 2 years.

*spits out drink*

Not even in Madden.

No, but at this point, he could probably be had for much less. And I would make a trade for him if it was a 6th or 7th. Maybe a 5th.... But probably not.

This is, btw, coming from a guy that wanted very badly for us to draft him. I think it's worth taking a small risk, because of the talent he has with the ball in his hands. But I also think that if he were going to become a useful player he would have shown more by now. Instead he's been out played by guys like Charles Johnson and Stefon Diggs.

So yes, we should try to trade for him, but not anything valuable.
There's a kid from Texas Tech, Jakeem Grant, who has mad return skills. He's also an accomplished WR. He's @ 5-7-165, so is smallish, but had @ 130 touches during the 2015 season and is a tough guy. I'd also expect Hayne to have the opportunity to return both KO and PR's. I know Kelly's intrigued with him.
I'm never against bringing in guys like this for the right price.
Share 49ersWebzone