There are 222 users in the forums

2016 HOF class

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Thank god for butthurt-ness. My post applies to TO and TO alone. If you're on TO's tip I won't judge. He deserves to be in the HOF next year, just not 1st ballot.

I can't excuse Sapp's actions, he was a jerk in his own way too, but he doesn't appear to have the same laundry list of on field and in-building marks against him.

Him beating up a woman is inexcusable, but while you're bringing up irrelevant instances that have nothing to do with TO, how about that OJ Simpson, huh?

Sapp's first incident was prior to his induction... OJ's was well after. (It applies to your Karma rule)

If we take (Karma) out of the equation, T.O. has the resume to be a lock for first ballot induction, so why wasn't he? (Politics, not Karma)

So if the voters have the conscience to put Sapp in first ballot, but not T.O. (Locker Room Cancer - Kills more people than Lung) they have some serious morality issues.

#JustSaying
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Kurt Warner,Terrell Owens and Terrell Davis(short career but has fantastic numbers and in the playoffs and Superbowls he played better than anyone on the field) really need to go in next year
[ Edited by 9er2k on Feb 6, 2016 at 10:33 PM ]
Owens should have been a lock first ballot. He's one of the top five receivers maybe ever to play the game. Certainly in the modern era. If the strongest argument against Owens was that he was a jerk in the locker room and/or divided teams then it's not a very good one. The selection committee is told not to take off the field transgressions into account when voting someone into the Hall of Fame. Of course it doesn't seem like that's the case over and over again. Owens wasn't even in the top 10 which is ridiculous to me. I've heard the excuse that since there was a logjam at receiver, and Harrison had been waiting that Owens should have to wait. This rhetoric doesn't make sense. If this is the case then why hasn't this logic applied in the past? Joe Montana didn't have to wait for Kenny Stabler. Jerry Rice didn't have to wait for Cris Carter when he become eligible. If that's the game the HOF folks want to play, then fine. Just be consistent about it. So does Owens have to wait for Rod Smith and Issac Bruce now? Where is the line drawn? Owens should get in because he was simply better. Harrison being stuck in limbo shouldn't be held against him. Like I said before it would be like asking Jerry Rice to wait for Cris Carter.

And if it's a straight up argument, then I really don't see how Harrison was better over Owens. Owens dominated on multiple teams. He didn't play the majority of his career in a dome with a top five quarterback of all time. He also didn't vanish in the playoffs, play strictly on one side of the field, could break tackles, and wasn't afraid to go over the middle. He also trumps Harrison in most statistical categories. I will give Harrison the upper hand in terms of hands. He did have better hands. But that was really it in terms of clear cut advantage.

Owens also never broke any laws, was never involved with drugs (Lawrence Taylor), arrested (Warren Sapp), beat women, or connected to a murder case (Marvin Harrison). If the only argument against Owens was that he was a jerk and divided teams, then it isn't a very good one. And like I said before, the selection committee is supposed to take only on the field transgressions into consideration. Nothing off the field.
[ Edited by PapaShogun on Feb 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM ]
Here's the thing. Are you ready for this?

Owens wasn't a jerk and he didn't divide any teams.

These are claims of intangibles, and the thing about intangibles is you can't prove them false. That's why the media loves them so much. They can just go, "oh, the team lost this game because...Terrell Owens! Distraction! Team cancer!" And apparently, nobody thinks to point out how ridiculous that is.

Owens had goofy, excessive touchdown celebrations and the media decided that was a crime against humanity.

This resulted in them creating the conflict themselves by baiting Owens isn't answering trap questions and then feeding them to others (Mariucci, Garcia, McNabb).

Every single supposed "locker room" problem Owens ever had started in the media. And the controversial "statements" came from someone else. That's not an accident.
Tony Dungy is not a hall of famer. Since he got in, then George Seifert should be in too. Too much media bias going on here.
Share 49ersWebzone