LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

'85 Bears 30 for 30

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think it's hilarious how much of a deal was made about Bill using Guy McIntyre in the backfield in the '84 NFC title game. Their big "revenge" was using the Fridge in the backfield in the 1985 game at the stick.

The '85 bears were a tremendous team but I just don't buy them as the greatest of all time. There's nothing that seperates them from our '84 & '89 squads or the '75 & '78 steeler squad other then a bunch of hype around the characters in that team.

I just love how the '84 niners shutout what eventually became the '85 bears and then dominated a better version of the team that eventually gave that '85 bears team their only loss. Also had the same 18-1 mark, yet the bears team gets ranked higher then them in most discussions. Plain and simple, between the '84 niners & '85 bears, the niners had the better coach, better offensive player and better defensive player.
If the bears had 4 other titles you'do hear less about the 85 bears.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I think when people say the '85 Bears are an all time great team they are talking about that defense more then anything. It would of been interesting to see a rematch of Miami vs Chicago in the Superbowl though.
2000 Ravens were better.
Originally posted by Niners99:
2000 Ravens were better.

Schematically I think the Ravens were a sounder defense. It was a better run defense, but the 85 bears had the sexier splash stats (34 ints and 64 sacks). But nowadays teams just spread out defenses that want to drop 8 in the box as much as Chicago did.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:35 PM ]
Look at the offenses the 00 Ravens played.

Misleading statistics. 01 Ravens had almost the same defensive personnel and gave up 100 more points.
they would have been 16-0 if Buddy Ryan had used an extra DB against Miami , Buddy's ego got in the way and stuck with the 46 until it hurt , even though Marino was slicing up that defense with that quick passing attack , Sing, Wilson and Marshall weren't ready to defend that pass happy offense
Da Bears got the biggest break when NE beat Miami in the AFC Championship game. Ditka and company lost one game all year, to the Shula led Dolphins. Marino's quick release would've shredded that blitz defense of the Bears.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Da Bears got the biggest break when NE beat Miami in the AFC Championship game. Ditka and company lost one game all year, to the Shula led Dolphins. Marino's quick release would've shredded that blitz defense of the Bears.

Looking back it would have been epic if the Dolphins would have played in the SB and beat the Bears.

A much deserved ring for Marino.

I was a little disappointed in the 30 for 30.....wanted more football Xs and Os on why the 46 was so tough.

Weird how Walsh couldn't spread it out like the Dolphins did........he acknowledged the 46 as perhaps the best defense he ever saw.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I think it's hilarious how much of a deal was made about Bill using Guy McIntyre in the backfield in the '84 NFC title game. Their big "revenge" was using the Fridge in the backfield in the 1985 game at the stick.

The '85 bears were a tremendous team but I just don't buy them as the greatest of all time. There's nothing that seperates them from our '84 & '89 squads or the '75 & '78 steeler squad other then a bunch of hype around the characters in that team.

I just love how the '84 niners shutout what eventually became the '85 bears and then dominated a better version of the team that eventually gave that '85 bears team their only loss. Also had the same 18-1 mark, yet the bears team gets ranked higher then them in most discussions. Plain and simple, between the '84 niners & '85 bears, the niners had the better coach, better offensive player and better defensive player.

'84 49ers were better than '85 Bears.

Us destroying Marino in the Bowl is nice validation of just how good a team we had in '84.

I could yield the '85 Bears having a more impressive defense than '84 49ers (same with the '86 Giants), but SF had way better offensive talent and coaching. It's like saying the Seahawks defense of late was a little better than the 49ers or Panthers.......ok, cool, but imagine if we had the Packers offense with the 49er D?
Those teams are lucky that the rules of back then allowed s*** QBs to ball with the GOAT, because having an amazing defense kept great offenses at bay enough to keep them in and win games. Plain and simple, look at these "all star QBs" we lost to in the '80/'90 season:

• Joe Theismann
  • Jim McMahon
  • Wade Wilson
  • Phil Simms
  • Jeff Hostetler

Decent but not great QBs. Not one HoF in here.

And look at the QBs we massacred:

• Dan Marino
  • John Elway

Two HoF monsters from one draft class, just happened to be in the wrong conference.

Cincinnati brought the D....Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason were good but not great QBs.

Naturally I want a return to those rules. We'd never have an AS or CK or BG thread ever again.....LMAO.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:33 PM ]

Originally posted by Niners99:
2000 Ravens were better.

Yup.
Originally posted by Niners816:

There isn't a word in this post that I disagree with. It's so frustrating how the 85 Bears get so much credit and acclaim when they weren't better than the 84 or 89 Niners. That's a big reason why watching the 1988 NFC Championship game always brings a smile to my face.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
There isn't a word in this post that I disagree with. It's so frustrating how the 85 Bears get so much credit and acclaim when they weren't better than the 84 or 89 Niners. That's a big reason why watching the 1988 NFC Championship game always brings a smile to my face.

The reason you hear about the '85 bears and not so much about the '84 49ers is because the 49ers also won 3 other Superbowl's in the 80's. If the Bears had won 2 more Superbowl's no one would be talking as much about the '85 Bears. So be happy its the 49ers dynasty and not the '84 49ers.
Originally posted by Jcool:
I think when people say the '85 Bears are an all time great team they are talking about that defense more then anything. It would of been interesting to see a rematch of Miami vs Chicago in the Superbowl though.

This

It was a hell of a D for one season.

Then it was figured out and they certainly didn't have enough offensive firepower to repeat.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:

I agree.

Looking back, the '88 NFCC win might be the most underrated 49er postseason win ever.

I looked it up....'88 Bears D wasn't '85 good, but still great.

Even with the home field advantage and cold on their side, we kicked their ass nicely.
Share 49ersWebzone