Calvin Johnson retires

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
30 years old. sucks.

one of the best, if not the best WR of the modern era.

6'5, 230lbs. Ran a 4.3. Amazing hands and athleticism, and a great teammate.

What is your definition of the "modern era"? I dont know what that is but in no way does he compare to Jerry Rice thats for sure.

Rice through 9 seasons:

708 receptions
11,776 yards
118 touchdowns

Rice also had Montana and Young throwing him the ball, with Walsh as his coach... lets not act like that didnt factor in his success

Yup. Calvin was a freak of nature, who knows how much better his numbers would've been if QBs like Harrington, Kitna, and Shaun Hill weren't throwing him the ball. Calvin had the TO body, with the running / jumping ability of Moss.

Agreed, same can be said for Moss. Imagine if they were put in Rice's situation how much better their numbers would have been.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Just 9 season played. Same with lynch if he retires as reported. Only 8 for Willis. 2007 draft class has some top tier talent retiring early. I don't have any of the 3 of them as hall of famers. All 3 great players but didn't hang around long enough. Lynch with the best chance cus of the ring.

you crazy as hell,ALL HOFers book it.

Uh huh. Bettis and Martin took a while to get in and they top 6 in rushing. Look at Terrell Davis still waiting with his career resume. Lynch only has 9100 yards. The only hof rbs in with less yards are guys who played decades ago when their stats had them high on the career list at the time of retirement. Willis and Megatron will face the same s**t. 8 or 9 years is very tough to make it in especially if you lack championships. Maybe these days with earlier retirements they will eventually lower some of the criteria. But these 3 while great players are going to have a hard time. No first ballot stuff and if they get in they'll wait a while.
Calvin Johnson was a beast of a player. It's too bad that he wasted his career away with the Lions. Just like Steven Jackson with the Rams.
Calvin was one of the greatest to ever do it, sad to see him go so young. This is becoming much more common now, as we just saw with Willis as well. Once the greats arent the best anymore they cany handle it. Rather hang it up early than be avg, and put your brain and body through further beating.

Exactly. Both continued to play at a high level up through their last year. However injuries were starting to accumulate for each and weren't allowing either to play at their self imposed standard of play.
Originally posted by TWD_Fan:
Calvin Johnson was a beast of a player. It's too bad that he wasted his career away with the Lions. Just like Steven Jackson with the Rams.

At least we got Pat to a Super Bowl, and hopefully we can get Bow back to one at some point before he follows the lead of Pat and Calvin. He's been in the league for six years and played five, so hopefully we can get this fixed before it comes to that.
Him retiring at age 30 tells me he doesn't have love for the game anymore. He's paid big time. Multi millionaire. 30 years old.

Could've gone to a contending team to compete for superbowls.

Could have played for at least another 5 years and chased some records

To do neither of the above while also collecting more money over the next 5 years tells me he doesn't care at all about playing football anymore. I don't think it has anything to do with his confidence in his play
Originally posted by Pick4Six:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good luck to him. Sucks for the NFL and fans, but this will become more common. We'll see plenty more quality football players retire by the age 30 rather than take more physical punishment and destroy their bodies. Guys are more aware of the consequences, they've seen the horror stories. Not worth it if you've made your money and had a good career. Walk away healthy.

How did Jerry Rice play 21 NFL seasons?

It's going to take an extremely rare, gifted individual to beat his records.

Yup. It's going to be very difficult for anyone to approach what he did. Even in an era when passing stats are through the roof, it's highly unlikely another receiver has the combination of skill, work ethic, longevity, health, and being put in the perfect situation with the greatest HC and QB of all-time.

Nobody is touching those records.
Just 9 season played. Same with lynch if he retires as reported. Only 8 for Willis. 2007 draft class has some top tier talent retiring early. I don't have any of the 3 of them as hall of famers. All 3 great players but didn't hang around long enough. Lynch with the best chance cus of the ring.

Uh huh. Bettis and Martin took a while to get in and they top 6 in rushing. Look at Terrell Davis still waiting with his career resume. Lynch only has 9100 yards. The only hof rbs in with less yards are guys who played decades ago when their stats had them high on the career list at the time of retirement. Willis and Megatron will face the same s**t. 8 or 9 years is very tough to make it in especially if you lack championships. Maybe these days with earlier retirements they will eventually lower some of the criteria. But these 3 while great players are going to have a hard time. No first ballot stuff and if they get in they'll wait a while.
You don`t Have talk long to say a lot, got that? now it is the way they PLAYED that counts,NOT HOW LONG THEY PLAYED. Maybe you should have been out there tackling Lynch or trying to cover Megatron,or trying to run away from P Will,yeah makes a big difference being in your safe comfy chair making that kind of statement
Could players be waking up to the fact that the sport takes too much away physically and getting out sooner is the best path.

All of them will get in without a doubt

Originally posted by TyCore:
Possible Barry syndrome?

I don't have down syndrome
Originally posted by Zachary13White:

All of them will get in without a doubt

Without a doubt? Daaaamnn your confident. There's still alot of players that are waiting to get in, also there's players in the nfl now that are leaving soon that are more deserving, and hall of famers like Charles Woodson.

Like the guy said, I don't think they stayed around long enough to get into the hall of fame. If it only takes 6-7 seasons to get into the hall of fame, then it's not much of a hall of fame.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Him retiring at age 30 tells me he doesn't have love for the game anymore. He's paid big time. Multi millionaire. 30 years old.

Could've gone to a contending team to compete for superbowls.

Could have played for at least another 5 years and chased some records

To do neither of the above while also collecting more money over the next 5 years tells me he doesn't care at all about playing football anymore. I don't think it has anything to do with his confidence in his play

I'm sure it has something to do with the Lions, losing just isn't fun especially if you are that caliber of player gotta feel for Barry and Calvin
Those records will likely never be broken, Rice was the product of a combination of tremendous talent, work ethic, and team. He was surrounded by greatness. Similar to MJ and Kobe, they were great, but they also had Phil Jackson. Greatness + Greatness = GOAT

Fantastic explanation. I'm sure one day someone will break those records but you're right they'd have to have the same dynamic ~ greatness + greatness = GOAT

You don`t Have talk long to say a lot, got that? now it is the way they PLAYED that counts,NOT HOW LONG THEY PLAYED. Maybe you should have been out there tackling Lynch or trying to cover Megatron,or trying to run away from P Will,yeah makes a big difference being in your safe comfy chair making that kind of statement

I think all 3 should be in. I also realize how the voting process works. Ricky Watters has more yards more tds than lynch. And a ring as well, scored 3 tdz in sb, and he doesn't sniff the hall. Priest Holmes has a ring and more tds with about 1000 less yards he doesn't get close either. It's hard to make it.
Share 49ersWebzone