LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

What Has Been The Most Dramatic Rule Change Recently and What's Next in 2016?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by aussiepeter:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Kickeoff moved up.

Only rule that single handily took away a major aspect of the game, kick returns.

Yes please what a waste of time kick returns are

used to be exciting..... but Goodell is trying to phase our special teams it seems like.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
The conjecture over what is a fair catch has changed the course of a few games this season. Prompting some to call for a rule change or at the very least a better clarification.

What recent rule changes have dramatically changed the way the game is played and coached?

What should they change in the future?

#1 DEFINE WTF A CATCH IS.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
In overtime, I'd like to see both teams get to poscess the Ball no matter if the 1st team scores a TD.

What about a time limit that must be played? Say 5 minutes? Would that work?

nah, 1 good drive is 5 minutes.

i say college OT rules, but no FGs and you have to go for 2.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i wish they would bring back the head slap
I wanna see the ability to review questionable penalties. Unfortunately the next rule change will be no defense allowed. They're pretty much doing that now anyways.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Jan 24, 2016 at 11:27 PM ]
Ironic to see the extra point effected the pats the worst since it was them that wanted the rule changed the most in the first place when Gronk's got injures a few years back...
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Ironic to see the extra point effected the pats the worst since it was them that wanted the rule changed the most in the first place when Gronk's got injures a few years back...

Hard to say. Wasn't their kicker like the most accurate kicker in the NFL, and had he missed a few more kicks like any of the other kickers they could have had a completely different season. I'm just speculating of course.
#1 - Define what is a catch
#2 - Call the entire season and playoffs the same. If you're going to be nitpicky, than be nitpicky the entire season. If you're gonna let them play, then let them play, don't go back and forth because of course teams are going to compete up to the wire.
#3 - Review the plays that were potential turnovers/scores, not just the ones that were turnovers/scores.
Holding can be called on every play. The game is more scrutinized on every detail and doesn't need be. There is no flow to the game anymore. During a reviewed call I counted 6 commercials. It's a violent game and they're trying to take as much of the violence out of it. In the NBA when a player is bleeding they stop play because of of the chance of spreading communicable diseases. Not in the NFL, I see potential lawsuits in the near future.
Way too many rule changes. Way too many rules.

Kick returns RIP.

How about they go through the whole rule book one at a time with a view to dumping anything that doesn't help the flow of the game or assist player safety?

• Antix
  • Veteran
Dont curr bout rule changes. They need to make refs full time. Until then sny rule change is just gonna make the game worse. Or waste more time as they review more crap.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
In overtime, I'd like to see both teams get to poscess the Ball no matter if the 1st team scores a TD.

What about a time limit that must be played? Say 5 minutes? Would that work?

nah, 1 good drive is 5 minutes.

i say college OT rules, but no FGs and you have to go for 2.

This. The OT rules are stupid. Just extend the friggin game by one quarter and be done with it.
Originally posted by English:
Way too many rule changes. Way too many rules.

Kick returns RIP.

How about they go through the whole rule book one at a time with a view to dumping anything that doesn't help the flow of the game or assist player safety?

A revision of the NFL rulebook is long overdue imo.
Originally posted by Antix:
Dont curr bout rule changes. They need to make refs full time. Until then sny rule change is just gonna make the game worse. Or waste more time as they review more crap.

Completely agree. because of the limited amount of games in an NFL season each one is very important, too important to be having part time refs calling these games. Make them full time, pay them accordingly and I think you see the on field product improve drastically.
Here's what I've read about so far:

1) Extra points now permanently on the 15
2) Touchbacks moved from 20 to 25 yard line (seriously, why even have kickoffs at this point)
3) 2 personal fouls = ejection
4) All chop blocks now illegal
5) The hand no longer has to go inside the collar on a horsecollar, grabbing the name plate is enough
6) Coaches in the booth can now use the headset (had to be on the sideline before)
7) Calling a timeout when you're not permitted is now a delay of game
8) Eliminates the 5-yard penalty for an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.
9) Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession.
Share 49ersWebzone