There are 177 users in the forums

What Has Been The Most Dramatic Rule Change Recently and What's Next in 2016?

Shop 49ers game tickets
The conjecture over what is a fair catch has changed the course of a few games this season. Prompting some to call for a rule change or at the very least a better clarification.

What recent rule changes have dramatically changed the way the game is played and coached?

What should they change in the future?
Start by calling the games the same from regular season to the playoffs. This is ridiculous. The packers cardinals game was terrible too. Theyre quick to call procedure penalties especially if you're Aaron Rodgers but PI calls cost teams games all season long only to be completely legal in the playoffs.
In overtime, I'd like to see both teams get to poscess the Ball no matter if the 1st team scores a TD.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
In overtime, I'd like to see both teams get to poscess the Ball no matter if the 1st team scores a TD.

What about a time limit that must be played? Say 5 minutes? Would that work?
there was a report that the NFL is looking into these Gloves that NFL receivers use. The ball kind of sticks to them, and it's easier to make one handed catches and just regular catches.

So the NFL might outlaw them. But hey, the NFL likes teams to score points and these amazing catches do nothing but help the NFL... so I doubt it will happen.

also it makes you wonder how really BAD are the hands of some of these receivers who have the dropsies.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
there was a report that the NFL is looking into these Gloves that NFL receivers use. The ball kind of sticks to them, and it's easier to make one handed catches and just regular catches.

So the NFL might outlaw them. But hey, the NFL likes teams to score points and these amazing catches do nothing but help the NFL... so I doubt it will happen.

also it makes you wonder how really BAD are the hands of some of these receivers who have the dropsies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmxw4K3w4N4

I'm not sure where I stand on the gloves. I love the one handed catches, but it does seem sort of cheap.

I think the most dramatic rule change is the PAT change. I really like it. Rules that are made to make the game better are fine by me. I'm with Elephant that the overtime should change. Also how bout a more clear definition of a catch?
[ Edited by Homer on Jan 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM ]
Kickeoff moved up.

Only rule that single handily took away a major aspect of the game, kick returns.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Kickeoff moved up.

Only rule that single handily took away a major aspect of the game, kick returns.

Yes please what a waste of time kick returns are
Originally posted by aussiepeter:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Kickeoff moved up.

Yes please what a waste of time kick returns are

There are ways to make it safe whilst keeping it interesting such as :-
- Making sure the defenders are allowed no closer than 10 yards to the returner at the time of contacting the ball.
- If the ball is kicked out over the back then the 1st and 10 is set on the halfway or at least 10 yards upfield.
- Touch Back creates 1st down on the 5 or 10 yard line.

There are plenty of options but at the moment it is truly boring.
Her's a rule I would like to see put into place, when the referee's have a conference about a call, any player that comes within 5 yards of them should be flagged.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

How often does the 1st team score a TD though? It used to be just sudden death no matter how you scored. Offering other team the ball after they just gave up a TD seems too generous.
Originally posted by RED80_____HURRYHURRY:
Her's a rule I would like to see put into place, when the referee's have a conference about a call, any player that comes within 5 yards of them should be flagged.

This.
I'd like every play to go under a 15-30 second review in the booth while the teams are calling plays in the huddle, and for penalties to be able to change after review. Then I'd like the s**tty refs to be fired when it becomes apparent they can't call a game for the life of them.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Jan 19, 2016 at 5:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Give those same gloves to everyone on defense?
What about helmets and the concussion issue?
Share 49ersWebzone