LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Robert Griffin III

Shop 49ers game tickets
I wouldnt mind bring in RG III as a back up and letting Gabbert walk. Dont see any of the draft QBs as top tier Dynasty quality QBs. RG III is better passer than Kap but had defensive read problems. I think Chip can help him alot better than the Redskins did.
No
Originally posted by Eli_23:
No

+1
RGIII was rumored to the Eagles, as well. I leave it up to Chip to decide who he wants. It's nice that RGIII and Kap are essentially free agents this spring from the 49ers perspective. RGIII is a great deep ball thrower and more accurate and can anticipate better than Kap. Not the athlete Kap is however.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Crazier things have happened. If RGIII is going to be revived, Chip Kelly would be the coach to do it. Also, don't forget, Chip Kelly was in the same division for all of RGIII's short career. Kelly knows this QB as well as anybody else.
  • dj43
Originally posted by DeHubb:
I wouldnt mind bring in RG III as a back up and letting Gabbert walk. Dont see any of the draft QBs as top tier Dynasty quality QBs. RG III is better passer than Kap but had defensive read problems. I think Chip can help him alot better than the Redskins did.

What? He is the only functional QB on the team at this point. You would let him walk and bring in Griffin? You would likely find yourself with NO functional QBs on the roster.

No, one restoration project at a time, thank you.
Originally posted by dj43:

What? He is the only functional QB on the team at this point. You would let him walk and bring in Griffin? You would likely find yourself with NO functional QBs on the roster.

Yes, i would let him walk. RG III has had a year to rest. Kap will be ready by the season starting. Gabberts best season hasnt lived up to the best seasons of Kap or RGIII. he was decent to finish out the season but he isnt any shimmer of hope.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
If Kelly wants him I have no problem with it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:

Yes, i would let him walk. RG III has had a year to rest. Kap will be ready by the season starting. Gabberts best season hasnt lived up to the best seasons of Kap or RGIII. he was decent to finish out the season but he isnt any shimmer of hope.

You have some hopes for Kaepernick that the overwhelming majority of posters and national writers do not. You can't live in the past. Kaepernick and RG3 were both terrible last time we saw them on the field.
Rg3 career at QB is more dead than Kaps

I'd rather watch CK throw balls in the dirt than watch dumbass RG3 tell everyone he's the best QB in the NFL after every game.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'd rather watch CK throw balls in the dirt than watch dumbass RG3 tell everyone he's the best QB in the NFL after every game.

Can't stand that guy - he said all the right things in interviews in college, but it came across as fake. RG-Me has had an enormous ego since he came into the league.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
In theory I wouldn't mind it if he came in on a cheap deal, what gets me to say no is he is never going to be able to play 16 games. Just to small and takes to many hits.
Originally posted by Jcool:
In theory I wouldn't mind it if he came in on a cheap deal, what gets me to say no is he is never going to be able to play 16 games. Just to small and takes to many hits.

What kind of contract do you think he's going to get? Guessing it will be quite a bit less than Kaepernick is being paid. Based on what we know about RG3, it will likely be a one year deal somewhere where he has a good shot at being the starter.

He'll want to give himself flexibility he didn't have in Washington to pick up his bags and leave in a year if he isn't given an opportunity. He also thinks he's the best QB in the league, so he'll want to showcase his skills for a year and prove he deserves a big contract. I'm guessing he'll get a one year $7-8 million deal somewhere (more than backup money).
Sure, he was a better passer than Kap. Both of these guys regressed so much it's hard to say why. If it was injuries, fine.

The risk looks the same with either guy. RGIII will probably be he cheaper option. Gabbert has to be the front runner to start.
Share 49ersWebzone