LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 134 users in the forums

A Rookie gets cut mid season.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
He made the squad before any of those injuries and started in the first game.

Spell check ain't what it used to be.

But if you want to start a rebutale with an English grammar lesson your point must be pretty weak.

Can you please read my first post in this thread for the question, trying to ask sincerely and you want to come try to derail the thread talking crap mate.

Good luck with that
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:44 AM ]
Scott Shanle was a 7th round pick of the St. Louis Rams in 2003 and played in 5 games before being waived on December 12th. He was picked up by Dallas the next day and on the 53-man roster but didn't see action. That technically doesn't qualify as "mid season," but your requirements are tight.

That took me about 15 mins of searching...if one had the time/inclination, I'm sure others can be found that align more closely to "middle of the season" cuts. That said, it's uncommon given all the obvious football development/front office/financial reasons.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 5, 2016 at 4:58 AM ]
Couldn't resist finding another one...kind of.

Hard core fans remember former Buckeye star Thaddeus Gibson who was selected in the 4th round of the 2010 draft by Pittsburgh, made the 53-man roster out of training camp then was released after playing in just 2 games. We signed him on November 1st 2010; he remained on the 53-man roster for the remainder of the season and into the next, but didn't make it out of training camp in 2011.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MFWIC:
He made the squad before any of those injuries and started in the first game.

Spell check ain't what it used to be.

But if you want to start a rebutale with an English grammar lesson your point must be pretty weak.

Can you please read my first post in this thread for the question, trying to ask sincerely and you want to come try to derail the thread talking crap mate.

Good luck with that

Sorry I was mistaken on Mike Davis I was thinking about another player that was on IR.

I was just laughing at that word cause I ain't seen it in a while. I don't care how you spell stuff.

Your question has been answered, lol.
Yes it has happened before. It is a rare thing but it has happened.

Not sure why you asked the question? Are you trying to compile a list of names? Are you trying to prove a point?

If you don't want to talk about the nature of the question then why even have this thread?

Yeah he started the first game and fumbled away the hype of him being ready for the NFL when it was time to run full speed.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Scott Shanle was a 7th round pick of the St. Louis Rams in 2003 and played in 5 games before being waived on December 12th. He was picked up by Dallas the next day and on the 53-man roster but didn't see action. That technically doesn't qualify as "mid season," but your requirements are tight.

That took me about 15 mins of searching...if one had the time/inclination, I'm sure others can be found that align more closely to "middle of the season" cuts. That said, it's uncommon given all the obvious football development/front office/financial reasons.

Cheers for this information. Especially as it is posted without the usual trolling.

Yeah I did so e searching for some time before posting the question, but could not find anything, guess you needed to know,where to look.

Guess we will,see where any number of players end up this year on or off the team.

Excited though to see some improved or imagining tie play calling ... Though coming from a very low base.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Couldn't resist finding another one...kind of.

Hard core fans remember former Buckeye star Thaddeus Gibson who was selected in the 4th round of the 2010 draft by Pittsburgh, made the 53-man roster out of training camp then was released after playing in just 2 games. We signed him on November 1st 2010; he remained on the 53-man roster for the remainder of the season and into the next, but didn't make it out of training camp in 2011.

interesting that neither of these players you reference saw any game time snaps after getting picked up by another team the season of getting cut.

Appreciate the work, and without the usual crap thrown around this forum.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
Sorry I was mistaken on Mike Davis I was thinking about another player that was on IR.

I was just laughing at that word cause I ain't seen it in a while. I don't care how you spell stuff.

Not sure why you asked the question? Are you trying to compile a list of names? Are you trying to prove a point?

If you don't want to talk about the nature of the question then why even have this thread?

Yeah he started the first game and fumbled away the hype of him being ready for the NFL when it was time to run full speed.

Just hope for your sake it doesn't snap off in the cold this winter where you live.

Wouldn't want to miss out on all these incite-full posts without the speed of your..... fingers typing.

I asked because I wanted to understand better the history of the game for one, the second that many haters use this as an excuse to point out a player that made the squad was a bum. Though he made the starting 53 only after a handful of games.

THanks to one poster as he has provided two examples. But neither made a snap on returning to a 53 player squad. This rookie returned and played two games.

We will see how much he has progressed after a year in the NFL. later this year.

My bet if he does well, many will be still saying he doesn't deserve a spot

As for your point of recording names.... WTF you on about? Paranoid or something
[ Edited by MFWIC on Feb 6, 2016 at 4:45 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Just hope for your sake it doesn't snap off in the cold this winter where you live.

Wouldn't want to miss out on all these incite-full posts without the speed of your..... fingers typing.

I asked because I wanted to understand better the history of the game for one, the second that many haters use this as an excuse to point out a player that made the squad was a bum. Though he made the starting 53 only after a handful of games.

THanks to one poster as he has provided two examples. But neither made a snap on returning to a 53 player squad. This rookie returned and played two games.

We will see how much he has progressed after a year in the NFL. later this year.

My bet if he does well, many will be still saying he doesn't deserve a spot

As for your point of recording names.... WTF you on about? Paranoid or something

Was just pointing out that Hayne's situation is unlike any regular rookie player who had played college football. Its a unique thing you really can't compare.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hayne-struggled-sleep-head-injuries-021700938.html
From this article sounds like he was surprised just how violent playing a full NFL game can be.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Was just pointing out that Hayne's situation is unlike any regular rookie player who had played college football. Its a unique thing you really can't compare.

From this article sounds like he was surprised just how violent playing a full NFL game can be.

Article has nothing to do with thread question. So Please post in that thread

Do agree Hayne is unique in that he brings skills from a cross code to the NFL.

however, as to his situation GETTING CUT MID season that has not occurred often, rarely to get. A rookie reigned, and never after resigning get game time that same season

The question though relates to rookies cut mid season,Hayne as we know was rookie last season. Lots of people used the line about Hayne not getting picked up,by another team as evidence for him being. A scrub.

It seems however he is just unique now.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Article has nothing to do with thread question. So Please post in that thread

Do agree Hayne is unique in that he brings skills from a cross code to the NFL.

however, as to his situation GETTING CUT MID season that has not occurred often, rarely to get. A rookie reigned, and never after resigning get game time that same season

The question though relates to rookies cut mid season,Hayne as we know was rookie last season. Lots of people used the line about Hayne not getting picked up,by another team as evidence for him being. A scrub.

It seems however he is just unique now.

No one really calls a rookie a scrub because they are all unproven in the NFL until given the chance.

Only reason I can see Hayne was CUT MID SEASON was because there was another RB with more experience than Hayne and the team thought he could help more than Hayne.

A Rookie RB with years of college football playing time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hayne who never played football before.

I suggested before you read the NFL rules for player movement. It might help you realize this was nothing more than a roster move.
You can't just swap players from the active roster to the practice squad. You have to cut a guy then resign him to the practice squad. That is what happened here.
Then Hayne was promoted back to the active roster after he had more time to practice on the PRACTICE SQUAD, maybe because the team felt he just needed more PRACTICE.

The 49ers cut their 3rd quarterback every other week 2 seasons ago. It allowed the 49ers to keep swapping him between the active roster and practice squad and not lose another player from the team while he was able to PRACTICE with the team and scout team.

Share 49ersWebzone