LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Bills to cut Mario Williams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jimmy T could light a fire under his ass....and give him Twitter breaks too!!!

I'd say sign him if he doesn't act like a complete as*hole like he's been. But history's looking like its all about him and that's what we don't need right now. But we've seen players change there strips so who knows.

He's a big name and big time athlete. I could see the Yorks pulling this guy if the price is low enough
What's the point of signing 30 year old free agents? Win a game or two more next year? Don't people realize that hurts us long term because we could be looking at a top 5 pick again next year?

Spend money on front loaded deals for young free agents like Wilkerson, Malik Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Cordy Glenn, Olivier Vernon, Aldon Smith, Von Miller (pipe dream) - those contracts and players will be more valuable down the road and I'd rather bring in a couple young guys who are very expensive than a lot of veterans to try to win 8 games next year.

I don't want Forte or Mario Williams who are on the decline and may end up being overpaid 3 years from now when we're hopefully competitive again.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
are you aware that we won all those Super Bowl because we signed or traded for old veterans who made a difference when it matter the most???

while team who signed young franchise players sold lots of tickets and jerseys and made money but never got close to the Big Dance..
Originally posted by 9moon:
are you aware that we won all those Super Bowl because we signed or traded for old veterans who made a difference when it matter the most???

while team who signed young franchise players sold lots of tickets and jerseys and made money but never got close to the Big Dance..

That's an absurd response. I'm completely on board with signing old veterans when the team is already pretty good and we're making a playoff/championship push. I'm not on board with signing a lot of old veterans when the team stinks and it will hurt our ability to bring in talent through the draft and potentially leave us with some bad contracts 3-4 years from now when those veterans regress.
Sign him
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

That's an absurd response. I'm completely on board with signing old veterans when the team is already pretty good and we're making a playoff/championship push. I'm not on board with signing a lot of old veterans when the team stinks and it will hurt our ability to bring in talent through the draft and potentially leave us with some bad contracts 3-4 years from now when those veterans regress.
what you may have forgotten is that we are still a very young and talented team who lost some solid veteran players.. all we need to do is find proven players in plug them in, instead of Baalke's way of TRYING to find diamonds in the rough players that we can't develope.

if we can sign 2 veteran OL, a player like Mario Williams who has nothing left but to prove that HE'S NOT DONE, (just the way we brought in Justin Smith) and find a coach that can bring the best out of us, we are not far from where Arizona and Seattle is at..

Some of you guys were against signing the BROKEN DOWN CARSON PALMER, where is he right now??
what you may have forgotten is that we are still a very young and talented team who lost some solid veteran players.. all we need to do is find proven players in plug them in, instead of Baalke's way of TRYING to find diamonds in the rough players that we can't develope.

if we can sign 2 veteran OL, a player like Mario Williams who has nothing left but to prove that HE'S NOT DONE, (just the way we brought in Justin Smith) and find a coach that can bring the best out of us, we are not far from where Arizona and Seattle is at..

Some of you guys were against signing the BROKEN DOWN CARSON PALMER, where is he right now??

I didn't forget anything. I don't think this is a talented team. Mario Williams and some other veterans make sense for teams that are already competitive and are looking to add a few pieces to make a run at a championship. We're nowhere near there and we aren't close to as talented as we were when we brought in Justin Smith having had several high draft picks in a row. We've been picking low in the draft and missing on a lot of our early picks recently.
Sign heem
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we are very much comparable to the Justin Smith signing year.. we were filling in empty spots for such veterans who can at least be solid... we had a questionable young Alex Smith then, and we have a comparable Gabbert at this moment..

Our offensive skills positions in fact now is wayyyy better than the year we signed Justin Smith.. the only thing we had going for us then was a young stud name Patrick Willis.. .

Mario Williams is an automatic upgrade over any DL we have on the roster.. and the best yet, is that if we can land a HC who believe more on the 4-3 scheme, then we will be set at the DE position.

we are very much comparable to the Justin Smith signing year.. we were filling in empty spots for such veterans who can at least be solid... we had a questionable young Alex Smith then, and we have a comparable Gabbert at this moment..

Our offensive skills positions in fact now is wayyyy better than the year we signed Justin Smith.. the only thing we had going for us then was a young stud name Patrick Willis.. .

Mario Williams is an automatic upgrade over any DL we have on the roster.. and the best yet, is that if we can land a HC who believe more on the 4-3 scheme, then we will be set at the DE position.

Not even close. Our most talented player on offense right now is an injury prone RB who may be as good as Gore some day and our most talented player on defense is a pretty good pass rusher who is not even in the same league as Willis in terms of talent. We also had a very promising TE and LT, both of whom were first round draft picks (Davis was 6th overall). Our offense was way more promising back then and just needed WR's and a couple more linemen. We have no one like Willis on defense. We're missing superstars right now and there's no guarantee we'll hit on our picks like we did from 2009-2011 bringing in guys like Davis, Iupati, Boone, Bruce Miller, Crabtree, and Kaepernick on offense and Aldon Smith, Bowman, and Culliver on defense.

In 2008 we had:
Alex Smith (24), Frank Gore (25), Vernon Davis (24), and Joe Staley (24) to build around on offense

Willis (23) on defense

Andy Lee (26) on special teams
Souper Boll!
Share 49ersWebzone