LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

Mario Williams in the offseason?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I know he is more of a traditional 4-3 DE but has played a lot of DE/OLB in 3-4 systems. Having him rush along with Aaron Lynch I think would be awesome! Not sure if the fit would be there...OR...SF switches this offseason to a 4-3 and have him and Lynch rushing on the edges anyway. Hmmmm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000604818/article/unhappy-mario-williams-could-be-finished-in-buffalo
My apologies - this should be under the FA threat.
He may get cut, and my initial reaction was that I'd really want the Niners to sign him. However, Mario's game has been built around the fact that he's insanely fast for a man his size. He's not as fast as he used to be' not by a long shot. Also, the Niners' rebuilding process is going to take 2 more years at least; I want the team to be thinking 2018, not 2016. Mario could still be good by then, but I don't know that he'd justify the huge contract he'd still get long-term.

Mario's best fit is to go to a team who can compete right now IMO. Kind of like Julius Peppers did.

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
He may get cut, and my initial reaction was that I'd really want the Niners to sign him. However, Mario's game has been built around the fact that he's insanely fast for a man his size. He's not as fast as he used to be' not by a long shot. Also, the Niners' rebuilding process is going to take 2 more years at least; I want the team to be thinking 2018, not 2016. Mario could still be good by then, but I don't know that he'd justify the huge contract he'd still get long-term.

Mario's best fit is to go to a team who can compete right now IMO. Kind of like Julius Peppers did.

Peppers is still rocking it

I wouldn't mind bringing him in...but yeah I doubt he would want to come this way.

FYI love the GIF lol
Pass this guy doesn't play hard at all.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Sure, If he came at the right price.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
It'll be a waste of money and time if we sign Mario and have him play the DT/DE position under 3-4 scheme.. you want Mario, then lets move back to the 4-3..

we can have Mario - Dorsey - Williams - Lynch

then we can draft: Smith - Bowman - Hodges III
Didn't he play lights out in the 3-4 and became less productive in the 4-3??
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Nah. Would cost too much for his name and not his production. We will suck forever anyway. Might as well hope to luck up on a gem in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone