LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Muhammad Wilkerson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
He won't come here.

We have Dial, Dorsey and Armstead. Doesn't make sense

Dorsey is injured and an FA. Dial looks like a decent spot starter and a very good backup.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Maybe they will just so they can try to work out a trade.

Exactly what has been reported out of New York.

They know that they cant keep him but dont want to lose him without compensation.
Based off of what was said in the FA thread, I doubt we get him, but if he is available, either he or Derek Wolfe should be the number one free agent target. Could be potentially the biggest free agent lineman we ever brought in. Keep in mind, Justin Smith was not the elite player he became when we initially signed him.

Also, I think Dorsey may be on his last contract with us IF Mike Purcell continues to develop. He should be moved back to NT anyway. Quinton Dial is a good player, but I don't want him as a starter. Especially if we can get an elite DE. I'll go so far as to say a d-line of Wilkerson-Williams-Armstead, and then having Brooks-Bowman-Jaylon Smith-Aaron Lynch woulf give us a nice mix of young, veteran, and older players to form a potentially dominant front 7. If not Wilkerson, than Derek Wolfe will do just as good.
We're better off spending the money on Malik Jackson, and Derek Wolfe from Denver, I think both would be great additions, over Wilkerson, for the same price. I just don't see the 49ers spending the money needed for Wilkerson. He will get a $80M+ deal, with half or more fully guaranteed, and the 49ers never give out that kind of guaranteed money.
If he gets tagged, trade Kaepernick to the Jets for him. We need some dominant players to build around. Adding him and Jaylon Smith is a good start. Then we just need another OLB pass rusher and the D is set
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They know that they cant keep him but dont want to lose him without compensation.

Letting him sign else where would net them a 3rd round pick. What if no one wants to sign him with the tag or would it be sign and trade??
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
We're better off spending the money on Malik Jackson, and Derek Wolfe from Denver, I think both would be great additions, over Wilkerson, for the same price. I just don't see the 49ers spending the money needed for Wilkerson. He will get a $80M+ deal, with half or more fully guaranteed, and the 49ers never give out that kind of guaranteed money.

This is a legit and sensible alternative. I think signing either of the two gives us the chance to have a dominant D-line again. We will have quality backups in Quinton Dial, Glen Dorsey, and Mike Purcell. We would have starters in Arik Armstead, Ian Williams, and Derek Wolfe. I'd only want one more 3-4 DE that we can develop and that player can be found in the draft.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is a legit and sensible alternative. I think signing either of the two gives us the chance to have a dominant D-line again. We will have quality backups in Quinton Dial, Glen Dorsey, and Mike Purcell. We would have starters in Arik Armstead, Ian Williams, and Derek Wolfe. I'd only want one more 3-4 DE that we can develop and that player can be found in the draft.

Neither of those guys is the same caliber player as Wilkerson who is a legit superstar and franchise cornerstone player. If you can sign a guy like that, you do so, no questions asked. He has been in the league 1 more year than Jackson or Wolfe but has more sacks than both of them combined. He has 12 sacks this season which is utterly stupid for a 3-4 DE.

The closest thing to Justin Smith that they could add. A high motor pass rushing 3-4 DE that would instantly alter the gameplans of opposing offenses.

If the Jets somehow dont franchise him, I would hope that the 49ers go all out to sign him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 23, 2015 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Neither of those guys is the same caliber player as Wilkerson who is a legit superstar and franchise cornerstone player. If you can sign a guy like that, you do so, no questions asked. He has been in the league 1 more year than Jackson or Wolfe but has more sacks than both of them combined. He has 12 sacks this season which is utterly stupid for a 3-4 DE.

The closest thing to Justin Smith that they could add. A high motor pass rushing 3-4 DE that would instantly alter the gameplans of opposing offenses.

If the Jets somehow dont franchise him, I would hope that the 49ers go all out to sign him.

That's clear I consider both Wolfe and Jackson tier 2 DEs. But I'm prepared if we miss out on him. If he's available, I don't mind if the 49ers overpaid because of the overall effect he will have on the defense.

Ironically, when we added Justin Smith, he was NOT the guy coming out of KC. So you never know.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 23, 2015 at 8:52 PM ]
I think Wilkerson is a beast, but I wouldnt't give up our high first round pick for him. I'm not even sure I would give up a high 2nd round pick for the right to pay him $16-18 million a year. Wilkerson could be 30 by the time the 49ers are competitive again. I think it makes more sense for him and us for Wilkerson to go elsewhere if he is traded. We really just need to start from scratch with draft picks and maybe a few young free agents. There is a long path back to the top ahead of us and we may need to go through multiple coaching staffs to get there.

Edit: I'm speaking from the perspective of the 49ers. If I'm a team that is one or two pieces away from a championship, especially one with a short window due to contracts or age, I'd give up a late first round pick for Wilkerson in a heartbeat.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Dec 23, 2015 at 9:35 PM ]

Originally posted by jobiwon:
If he gets tagged, trade Kaepernick to the Jets for him. We need some dominant players to build around. Adding him and Jaylon Smith is a good start. Then we just need another OLB pass rusher and the D is set

I'd still prefer an upgrade at CB in that scenario.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by jobiwon:

I'd still prefer an upgrade at CB in that scenario.

The CB's are doing fine. They'll be better with a great front seven.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I think Wilkerson is a beast, but I wouldnt't give up our high first round pick for him. I'm not even sure I would give up a high 2nd round pick for the right to pay him $16-18 million a year. Wilkerson could be 30 by the time the 49ers are competitive again. I think it makes more sense for him and us for Wilkerson to go elsewhere if he is traded. We really just need to start from scratch with draft picks and maybe a few young free agents. There is a long path back to the top ahead of us and we may need to go through multiple coaching staffs to get there.

Edit: I'm speaking from the perspective of the 49ers. If I'm a team that is one or two pieces away from a championship, especially one with a short window due to contracts or age, I'd give up a late first round pick for Wilkerson in a heartbeat.

I don't think it's necessarily a long or short path. How long it takes to get to the top depends on your own moves in terms of FO, drafting, free agency, and coaching, as well as some luck. There are examples of quick rebuilds and long ones. What we have in my opinion is a perfect storm for a quick rebuild. Currently, we are a terrible team, not just based on record, but also on the field performance. However, there are a few players on both sides to build from. We are missing an impact player (just someone the offenses have to game plan for) at OLB and DE. That can be corrected in this draft and free agency, depending on how aggressive Trent Baalke wants to get. Also, I don't see any reason to fear some massive decline from Wilkerson. A D-line of Wilkerson, Williams, and Armstead would be very formidable, with some actual pass rush ability and the ability to stop the run. That alone would help Aaron Lynch become a more dominant player. Putting another OLB opposite of Lynch that can rush the passer will take it to another level. I'm not saying we'll be top 5 or anything, but I think we can put together a really good defense over the course of the next year with the right moves.

Can they trade Kaepernick for him? 😄
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
He won't come here.

We have Dial, Dorsey and Armstead. Doesn't make sense
Are you serious? If we don't sign him it won't be because of those two.
Share 49ersWebzone