LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 443 users in the forums

Muhammad Wilkerson

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Since we are going to have so much money this offseason and both our trenches are thin would Muhammad Wilkerson be a good replacement for Justin? He is only over shadowed by Watt in production, which is exactly what we need. he can set the edge, hold 2 blockers and rush the passer. Imagine that along with a wiser Lynch, or a rookie, rushing from the left and it might remind us all of Smith/Smith. I don't want to break the bank for one player without also addressing the O-line in free agency but this would be a nice acquisition if we could pull it off. Thoughts?
[ Edited by cgida on Dec 18, 2015 at 9:13 AM ]
it's going to take a lot of coins to get him here, I hate having to break the bank to acquire talent , ever since we got burned by signing "Gabe Wilkins" to a fat contract, I've always been hesitant for us to over spend in free agency, if there is a disruptive defensive lineman we can draft with our first pick, I'm all for that, but if we are going to overpay for talent, Wilkerson would be one player I would understand paying top dollar for
I feel thou,we will make a attempt to get him. I want him more for his pass rush and collapsing and pocket. I watch a lot of jets games here on the east coast, his game is nothing like Justin Smith game. J. Smith game is to eat up two guys and flash out or inn. He was less of a pass rusher. However with lynch as our pass rusher he doesn't need a guy to eat up blocks for him like aldon did. This creates a new design of defense for us. I feel as thou a better nose to eat up blocks would be better and our d should look a little like the chiefs...but I pray we get him!
Obtaining him depends if he gets tagged or not.
He won't come here.

We have Dial, Dorsey and Armstead. Doesn't make sense
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
it's going to take a lot of coins to get him here, I hate having to break the bank to acquire talent , ever since we got burned by signing "Gabe Wilkins" to a fat contract, I've always been hesitant for us to over spend in free agency, if there is a disruptive defensive lineman we can draft with our first pick, I'm all for that, but if we are going to overpay for talent, Wilkerson would be one player I would understand paying top dollar for

Fat and Gabe Wilkins is right.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
He won't come here.

Dial and Dorsey are good run defenders but suck in pass rush.
He should be our primary target in FA IMO. This guy is young and elite, both in run defense and pass rush. Perfect to pair with Armstead. Dial and Dorsey are okay, but not good enough to not go after Wilkerson. It's a good scheme fit and we have loads of cap space. Throw some $$ at him.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
He should be our primary target in FA IMO. This guy is young and elite, both in run defense and pass rush. Perfect to pair with Armstead. Dial and Dorsey are okay, but not good enough to not go after Wilkerson. It's a good scheme fit and we have loads of cap space. Throw some $$ at him.

Oh I wish! I think our defense becomes great if you get a top DE to pair with AA. Those two would make everyone else's job so much easier. Wilkerson is a proven commodity, while Armstead is showing his potential. I love the thought, but I'd be ok with Wolfe or Jackson for much less $
Originally posted by saniner:
Oh I wish! I think our defense becomes great if you get a top DE to pair with AA. Those two would make everyone else's job so much easier. Wilkerson is a proven commodity, while Armstead is showing his potential. I love the thought, but I'd be ok with Wolfe or Jackson for much less $

I'd be cool with Wolfe or Jackson as well. Two very good players. Wilkerson is a notch above them both so I'd love to get him, but also understand he'd be more expensive to sign. None of the them will come cheap though, that's for sure.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM ]

[ Edited by pdizo916 on Dec 18, 2015 at 10:38 PM ]
He'll get tagged, and signing him would be a mistake even if he's not tagged.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
He won't come here.

Dorsey will start on PUP most likely, Armstead isn't ready yet.

And none of them can get 12 sacks like Wilkerson has in 13 games. Wilkerson is only behind Watt and Donald as far as DLmen go in the league right now. He's Justin Smith-like, and should be our #1 target. If he isn't tagged.
[ Edited by Escobar on Dec 19, 2015 at 4:15 PM ]
If he really wants Suh money I can't see Trent going for him.
I'd be surprised if they tag Wilkerson with Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams under contract. Maybe they will just so they can try to work out a trade.
Share 49ersWebzone