There are 277 users in the forums

Calvin Johnson on the move?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Been hearing some reports of Johnson moving on from Detroit....thoughts in s SF uniform?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/if-calvin-johnson-and-lions-part-ways--megatron-s-best-landing-spot--raiders-044417649.html
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Been hearing some reports of Johnson moving on from Detroit....thoughts in s SF uniform?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/if-calvin-johnson-and-lions-part-ways--megatron-s-best-landing-spot--raiders-044417649.html

In a heartbeat...don't know what it would take for the Niners to get him, though. It would be a boatload, no doubt.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
In a heartbeat...don't know what it would take for the Niners to get him, though. It would be a boatload, no doubt.

apart from OL i dont see many skill position players coming here

i can see him going to panthers (desperate need for WR) ravens patriots maybe colts (they for some reason seem desperate to sound luck with weapons instead of OL and D)

i
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
hopefully we get him for Kap and a 6th

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Doubt it. He's worth way less than Joe Thomas is in a trade. He has a $24 million cap hit next season (averages over $20 million over the next 4 years) and he's no longer the best player at his position. He's behind Julio, Brown, Dez, Demaryius, Green, and Beckham Jr at this point and it's close between Hopkins, Marshall, Fitzgerald, and Calvin. Thomas is getting paid less than half as much and is still one of the best LT's in the league. The Browns were asking for 2 first round picks (equivalent to an early-mid first) which was too much. An early 2nd round pick should be more than enough for Calvin on that contract. Like Kaepernick, he's a potential cap casualty if no one wants to pay him that much.

I'm completely against us giving up picks for veteran players especially if they are overpaid. We aren't in any position to compete in the near future.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Keyword: "IF"

Kap + 3rd round pick should do the trick.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Keyword: "IF"

Kap + 3rd round pick should do the trick.

Doubt Detroit gets rid of Stafford for Kaepernick... I'm not even sure the Bills (Tyrod Taylor), Browns (McCown on a cheap 3 year deal/Manziel), or Texans (Hoyer) will want him. Texans probably make the most sense at this point, but Hoyer has been solid this year. I think the Eagles will resign Bradford rather than trading for Kaepernick. I don't think Calvin is worth that much, but I also don't think Kaepernick adds more than a 3rd/4th round pick to a trade, so this isn't enough. We may be able to trade our 2nd round pick straight up and get back a 3rd/4th round pick for Kaepernick.
I like how that article compares his situation to Randy Moss and then says the best place for him is the place that almost killed Moss' career.
Likely would take our second rounder at least, which will likely be an early/mid second round pick.

If we could dump Kap and a third i would do it in a heart beat. Johnson can still ball. Get him in another roster and you could see his rejuvenate his career.

IMO something like this would be highly dependent on how Gabbert progresses through the season. If he progresses it makes sense. If not, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO, as we will need to take a QB in the first two rounds.
No thanks, he's fool's gold. He's a broke down mold of the dominant Megatron that we think of. He's on the decline at a hefty price.

Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Megatron, down the same road.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
We need to stop pretending like it's 2008.

These guys get old and breakdown. And they're certainly not worth the money they're getting paid now. I'd rather have a 36 year old Anquan Boldin at $6M per year than this guy at double that -- and a $20M cap hit.
[ Edited by okdkid on Nov 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM ]
Hell yeah. He's only 30 years old. People are acting like he's 37. Jerry rice played until he was 42 and had a 1000 yard seasons after the age of 40. Terrell Owens was a beast all the way up until his late 30s. Steve Smith has been a beast. Megatron is only 30. We haven't had a true #1 wide receiver that scares other teams defenses since 2003 when we had Terrell Owens. Hell yeah we should make a play for Calvin.
he will be a patriot. Book it!
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
he will be a patriot. Book it!

that would be un fair. having gronk, megatron, chandler and blount in red zone situations is just stupid. You have three red zone targets that are 6'5 and above and a 250 pound running back.
Share 49ersWebzone