LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

intentional penalty

Shop 49ers game tickets
You're on defense. 10 seconds left before the half. Opposing team well in field goal range. I see this scenario every week. Just hold them. Line up in bump and run coverage. Tackle their wideouts and hold em down. Waste seconds and force the field goal.
Interesting.

They have to do something about the abuse of time for penalty yards. I remember the Giants vs Patriots in their last SB with Brady on his final drive having to deal with a 12 man penalty or something killing precious time off the clock for just 5 yards.

Heard that Buddy Ryan used to use 12 or 13 man defense for similar purposes in certain situations.

Sorta like the facemask penalty.....there's gotta be incidental and intentional differentiation........something like 15 yards oughta be worthwhile or maybe 5 yards and reset the game clock to what it was at the last snap.
Interesting idea. This is the equivalent of fouling in NBA games late in the game when you're under the bonus (could backfire if opponent is aware and shoots a 3). The risk is that if the QB sees a penalty on the defense and one WR breaks loose, it's a free play so he can chuck it up and not worry about an interception. It's also going to be difficult to grab TE's/RB's who leak out. It all depends on the situation, but I could see this catching a team by surprise.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Interesting.

They have to do something about the abuse of time for penalty yards. I remember the Giants vs Patriots in their last SB with Brady on his final drive having to deal with a 12 man penalty or something killing precious time off the clock for just 5 yards.

Heard that Buddy Ryan used to use 12 or 13 man defense for similar purposes in certain situations.

Sorta like the facemask penalty.....there's gotta be incidental and intentional differentiation........something like 15 yards oughta be worthwhile or maybe 5 yards and reset the game clock to what it was at the last snap.

Saw a play, kickoff with no time on the clock that buddy had 17 guys or something like that on the field.
I do this in madden lol

If the hurry up offense is mixing up my defensive coverages too much (usually zone gets you an int),I just tackle a dude offsides. This stops the clock and play. Timeouts also do the trick but I needs them for a 2 min offense.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by theninermind:
You're on defense. 10 seconds left before the half. Opposing team well in field goal range. I see this scenario every week. Just hold them. Line up in bump and run coverage. Tackle their wideouts and hold em down. Waste seconds and force the field goal.

doesn't really effect much imo. 10 seconds and in FG range you may take one shot at the endzone then kick. The half can't end on a defensive penalty so you are really just giving them a closer shot at the endzone or FG with possible a free time out and an un timed down.

What it does do is ensure you only get a 5 yard holding call instead of a potential PI that could put the ball at the 1 if the pass is in the endzone.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I do this in madden lol

If the hurry up offense is mixing up my defensive coverages too much (usually zone gets you an int),I just tackle a dude offsides. This stops the clock and play. Timeouts also do the trick but I needs them for a 2 min offense.
I also purposely offsides when on defense when an unsuspecting play that I'm not ready for occurs ( usually a sudden two point conversion attempt)
I wouldn't put it past a smarter team like New England to do this. I'm sure it would frustrate the offense and force them into a mental mistake.
I thought about this for a long time, while dissecting different scenarios. I think its brilliant in certain situations, and not just before halftime. Say your up 2 points and opponent has ball near the 50 with 8 seconds left and one timeout. Their plan is to gain 15 or so yards with intermediate pass and call timeout for FG. If you mug the WRs and get holding or PI call, you lose about 5 yards with penalty or spot foul either way, while running about 5 secs on the clock. Now opponent has ball on 45 and is out of FG range and has 3-4 secs to take shot. Too little time to run a 10 yard route and get down. The timeout is rendered useless. Would need to be conscious of opponents kicker's leg strength, but I think this works. It would be awesome to see this in action.
Share 49ersWebzone