LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Should we acquire Matt Stafford for 2016?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Blindfury:
WTF is wrong with people? Stafford has had an elite receiving core and good OC's hi sentire career who to use the current buzzword is "regressing" under those conditions. His best season was in 2011 and he has gotten increasingly worse putting up QB ratings WORSE than the guy sitting on the bench. Poor footwork, mechanics and doesn't see the field well...sounds familiar. And we want him.

People have pined for Fitzpatrick, Bradford, now Stafford.

This place has gone mad I tell you!!

He'd be better than Gabbert.
No.
A lot of folks blame Stafford's issues on having no running game and a bad OL. Hmmmm. Stafford is a talented guy, but if Caldwell, who is supposedly great at helping QBs, can't help him.. that concerns me.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 6, 2015 at 6:25 AM ]
Stafford is a bum. i'd much rather rebuild through the draft and take my chances. Stafford cant get the job done with Megatron. THink what he would do with T. Smith, Ellington and Patton (assume Boldin is done after this year).
Maybe as a Bridge QB, someone to hold down the fort, cause I hope we bite the bullet and draft a QB with our 1st rounder next year, it's time to groom a classic drop back passer to spread the ball around, no more trying to develop these athletic "read option / running QB's" and hoping they also learn to be pocket passers, to compliment their athletic gifts, it don't work ... we need a QB to "feed the horses", as of right now, despite the injuries, we still have enough decent weapons to stay competitive , hopefully Blaine can do a decent job of getting the ball to our playmakers this weekend
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Maybe as a Bridge QB, someone to hold down the fort, cause I hope we bite the bullet and draft a QB with our 1st rounder next year, it's time to groom a classic drop back passer to spread the ball around, no more trying to develop these athletic "read option / running QB's" and hoping they also learn to be pocket passers, to compliment their athletic gifts, it don't work ... we need a QB to "feed the horses", as of right now, despite the injuries, we still have enough decent weapons to stay competitive , hopefully Blaine can do a decent job of getting the ball to our playmakers this weekend

Bridge QBs don't cost over $10 million though lol.

There are teams that are a QB away from being pretty good and I think he could help them, SF needs more than just a QB.

I could see Stafford going to the Texans
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by strickac:
For $10-12M, yes. He's always been needed to win games with his arm alone. If he didn't score 35 pts, the Lions got blown out. He can be taught to be more conservative. I think he would shine with a good defense and a running game, which is something he's never seen before. There's a lot to work with there.

If teams are looking to pay him north of $15M because it's free agency, forget it.

Didn't he have a top 5 defense last year? Who said that SF will have a great defense next year anyway?

I'd rather spend that cash on OL.

Yeah, Detroit did have a stout defense last year. The offense was still a mess. Not making excuses for the guy, but his Oline has never been good and they've always been one dimensional without a running game. He does have a good WRs corps with Tate, Ebron, and what's left of Calvin. Like most QBs, a running game would benefit him tremendously.

Not saying this guy is our future. Kaepernick is most likely gone and I'm not betting on Gabbert. Of the veterans available, he'll probably be the most talented player. As long as he's not told to go out and be a gun slinger, I think he'll win games for you. His name and pure talent alone will likely entice a team to overpay for him, so this may be a moot point.
Stafford has the potential to be the next Jeff George.
No way. He chokes in the big games. I seen a stat that he's like 3-30 against teams with winning records.

Awake, is the a yay or nay on Stafford?

No
When I see people make excuses for other inferior QBs than what we currently have it really bothers me. How do you justify paying an inferior QB $10-15M to be a stop gap in an inferior offense, inferior line, inferior receivers, inferior coaching staff? When Stafford plays like turd next year will we sit around baffled as to why he sucks? Will we pine for the backup? Rinse and repeating the same mistakes, expecting different results. Insanity.
For $10-12M, yes. He's always been needed to win games with his arm alone. If he didn't score 35 pts, the Lions got blown out. He can be taught to be more conservative. I think he would shine with a good defense and a running game, which is something he's never seen before. There's a lot to work with there.

If teams are looking to pay him north of $15M because it's free agency, forget it.

Didn't he have a top 5 defense last year? Who said that SF will have a great defense next year anyway?

I'd rather spend that cash on OL.

Yeah, Detroit did have a stout defense last year. The offense was still a mess. Not making excuses for the guy, but his Oline has never been good and they've always been one dimensional without a running game. He does have a good WRs corps with Tate, Ebron, and what's left of Calvin. Like most QBs, a running game would benefit him tremendously.

Not saying this guy is our future. Kaepernick is most likely gone and I'm not betting on Gabbert. Of the veterans available, he'll probably be the most talented player. As long as he's not told to go out and be a gun slinger, I think he'll win games for you. His name and pure talent alone will likely entice a team to overpay for him, so this may be a moot point.

My issue is we don't have anything you meantioned to offer...running game? Not with that OL, pass blocking lol not here, and our offensive weapons aren't as good.

No sense in paying a guy over $10 million if we don't have the other prices first.

Rather draft a rookie, get a cheaper bridge QB and build the lines on both sides.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM ]

There are teams that are a QB away from being pretty good and I think he could help them, SF needs more than just a QB.

he'd fit in with Houston quiet nicely , he's more suited for a Coryell / Zampese style of offense IMO, power running and deep shots downfield

he'd fit in with Houston quiet nicely , he's more suited for a Coryell / Zampese style of offense IMO, power running and deep shots downfield

Totally agree I think he'd be a train wreck in SF
Share 49ersWebzone