LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Greatest TE of all-time?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Greatest TE of all-time?

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Rather have brent than vern. Wayyy better receiving skills.

True

I know anyone who picks Brent over Vernon is at least 35yrs old... because you guys are emotionally invested. Its quite ridiculous to indicate jones is better than davis, even though he has better hands, davis was still better everywhere else, the numbers tell it all
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:53 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
I would say Jason Witten. Some of the TE listed are basically WR. For what I expect a tight end to do(Old School) I have my money on Witten.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
LMFAO at Vernon Davis being an option.
Originally posted by FL9er:
LMFAO at Vernon Davis being an option.

Holds single season record for most TDs by a TE. Most athletic TE in the history of the sport
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Holds single season record for most TDs by a TE. Most athletic TE in the history of the sport

?

Gronk had 17 in 2011, Graham had 16 in 2013. The most VD had was 13.
[ Edited by jcs on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:53 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:

?

Gronk had 17 in 2011, Graham had 16 in 2013. The most VD had was 13.

I wasn't aware it got broken, ya he tied Gates for the record at the time with 13, I forgot what year that was
It was in 2009, then he did it again in 2013. Vernon is the only TE in NFL history with two seasons with 13 or more TDs, Gronk got close with 17 and 12, Gates had 13 and 12.

VD tied Gates' single season record for 13tds that was set in 2004, before Gronk broke it two years later in 2011.

Many 49ers fans take for granted just how good Vernon Davis was.
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Dec 21, 2016 at 12:49 AM ]
Why are Davis and Reed on this list?

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Why no Bruce Miller on this list?!!

#
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Why are Davis and Reed on this list?

I already explained why Davis is on this list, and rightfully so, read above.

Being on this list doesn't mean you are the greatest, just in the argument for top 15 TE's to ever play the game.

Only Tony and Gronk are really being debated for the #1 spot.

Added Reed today, premature, but I think when he retires he will be among the top 15 TEs to ever play the game.
Originally posted by niner4ever12:
vernon davis all day every day

I don't even think he was the best 49er tight end. Brent Jones was dope
I know anyone who picks Brent over Vernon is at least 35yrs old... because you guys are emotionally invested. Its quite ridiculous to indicate jones is better than davis, even though he has better hands, davis was still better everywhere else, the numbers tell it all

Vernon Davis wasn't competing with Jerry Rice and John Taylor for catches. Davis is great. This is no knock on Davis. But I would say pass blocking they were equal and Jones had better hands.
Originally posted by midrdan:

Vernon Davis wasn't competing with Jerry Rice and John Taylor for catches. Davis is great. This is no knock on Davis. But I would say pass blocking they were equal and Jones had better hands.

Davis' speed is what set him apart from Jones imo. He was a mismatch for LBs and Safties, and a deep threat. But could also take a 5 yard catch to the house, had great YAC ability. He reminds of T.O. as a TE. Freak of nature, speed, stength, not the best hands, used his body to catch frequently, but didnt matter. He had WR speed with OL strength. And he was the focal point of our offense, best reciever we had, DC's schemed to stop him. Jones is not on that level, even if you subtract Rice from the equation. I could argue that having Rice made his job easier, left him open, he was the last thing the defense was worried about
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Dec 21, 2016 at 12:51 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone