LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

NFL newbie Q&A thread...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Tonedog:
Well start luring in basketball players, seems fairly important to not have opposing teams tight ends scoring on you at will. That's what springs to mind every time I see gronk score a td actually, where is LeBron to stop that s**t, or Ron attest.

I always wondered what would happen if the qb got injured on the first drive, then the backup on the second (and any other backups for arguments sake), likewise with punters or kickers, do they just toss someone in out of position or do they forfeit?
Here's my newbie question. Do pre-season games count in player career records, or are they more like practice games with no record status?

So does Hayne have a career punt return record of 3 carries for 44 yds (ave 14.7) or 12 carries for 207 yds (ave 17.3)?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by suncoast49er:
Here's my newbie question. Do pre-season games count in player career records, or are they more like practice games with no record status?

So does Hayne have a career punt return record of 3 carries for 44 yds (ave 14.7) or 12 carries for 207 yds (ave 17.3)?

Preseason dont count for s**t.
Originally posted by Antix:

Okay, thanks
  • Antix
  • Veteran

Okay, thanks

Okay, thanks

Pre-season doesn't even count as an official member of the team.

So Jarryd Hayne is an official NFL player while Lawrence Okoye after two years still isn't.
Originally posted by frenz:
First up one thing I haven't been able to find out, do plays change based on which hash mark the ball gets snapped from? I can see an advantage to having more space for your X or Z on certain plays, but would that over complicate things? And does the left or right handedness of the QB play a bigger factor than the advantage of the extra space?

Yep, plays get "flipped" sometimes depending on which hashmark the team is on. It really depends on the play though (more important for outside runs than anything else, but teams will still run outside to the short side of the field, which the 9ers do too) Generally you'd want slower developing crossing plays against zone coverage to go to the wide side of field as it requires the defense to spread out more. .

The handedness of the QB doesn't affect too much beyond the direction of most roll outs on play and boot actions.

What Tyrann Mathieu (the Cardinals DB) was saying this week when he said the 9ers passing game is predictable is that the 9ers always rollout to the right side of the field (cutting the field in half to make reads easier for Kaepernick, and the direction you'd want a right handed quarterback rolling out in). Basically in trying to simplify things for Kap (and get him outside of the pocket b/c he's better there and the 9ers O-line on the right side is trash) Mathieu's argument was the 9ers have also simplified things for opposing defenses. I do think there's something to what Mathieu said, particularly because Kap is pretty good throwing across his body (rolling out to the left), but so far, it's something that the 9ers just don't do anymore.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Okay, thanks

Pre-season doesn't even count as an official member of the team.

So Jarryd Hayne is an official NFL player while Lawrence Okoye after two years still isn't.

It gets a little tricky because Okoye is on the Cardinals "practice squad."

Basically, in pre-season you get 90 players on your roster, then you have to cut down to 75, and then by the regular season you have to cut down to 53, but you get to put 10 people on your practice squad (they're allowed to practice with the team and do everything else but aren't allowed to play in games). A team can "bring up" members of their practice squads to their 53 man roster if they need them, but a practice squad player can also be signed by any other team, but only to their active 53 man roster.

So, a long answer to basically say it depends on if people consider practice squad players as "official" NFL players or not. Personally, I'd count Okoye as an NFL player because after spending two years on the 9ers practice squad he's now on the Cardinals practice squad, but maybe some wouldn't. The real test for him will come next year, because once a player has accrued three years he's not eligible for the practice squad anymore. Basically, next year Okoye will either have to make a team's 53 man roster or not be an NFL player. I'd guess that almost all 9ers fans are either indifferent or rooting for him.
I always wondered what would happen if the qb got injured on the first drive, then the backup on the second (and any other backups for arguments sake), likewise with punters or kickers, do they just toss someone in out of position or do they forfeit?

There are no forfeits in the NFL.

As for the situation, it used to be that you were allowed 45 players on gameday, but you got an "emergency QB" as a 46th player, (once he goes in the game your other two QBs aren't allowed to play a snap again).

The NFL got rid of this about five years ago and switched the active gameday roster from 45 to 46. Two QBs get injured in a game so infrequently though (I don't remember the last time it happened, although I'm sure it has) that teams tend to use this extra "46th" spot at another position.

If both Kaepernick and Gabbert got injured in a game the 9ers would most likely put Blake Bell in at QB (he was a QB in college before switching to TE) and just run the ball a lot.

If your punter or kicker gets injured then the other guy does both jobs (albeit one very poorly).

If both kicker and punter got injured jarryd would be your man. No doubt he's a better punter than your kicker and a better kicker than your punter.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If both kicker and punter got injured jarryd would be your man. No doubt he's a better punter than your kicker and a better kicker than your punter.

I think you mean OUR punter and kicker.

I think you mean OUR punter and kicker.

LOL, yeah what's with the simultaneous ownership of Hayne and disownership of the 49ers?

Is Hayne some kind of mercenary player that offers his services throughout the league on a rotating basis?
Lol I actually tossed up on whether to say our, in the end it felt disingenuous.
Share 49ersWebzone