LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

PFF Grading System

Shop 49ers game tickets
No longer offering the premium and signature stats to the general public has ruined the service for me.

My favorite part of the site wasn't even the grades, it was the signature stats. Stuff like WR/CB slot performance, pass rush productivity, yards per route run, time in pocket, coverage stats, passing under pressure, passing by direction, elusive rating.....all of that is no longer available.

All they offer now are player grades from a 0-100 scale. And they are only for this season, previous years not even available anymore. They've dumbed down the service to the extreme. I hope they make these stats available again, but as of now this service is no longer worth the money for me.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
No longer offering the premium and signature stats to the general public has ruined the service for me.

My favorite part of the site wasn't even the grades, it was the signature stats. Stuff like WR/CB slot performance, pass rush productivity, yards per route run, time in pocket, coverage stats, passing under pressure, passing by direction, elusive rating.....all of that is no longer available.

All they offer now are player grades from a 0-100 scale. And they are only for this season, previous years not even available anymore. They've dumbed down the service to the extreme. I hope they make these stats available again, but as of now this service is no longer worth the money for me.

Agree...cancelled my subscription until I make up my mind as to whether there current site is worthwhile.
  • thl408
Does anyone know if PFF has access to the coaches film before the general public? I ask because if they are handing out grades for QB/WR/DB before they can see the coaches film, then I question how accurate those grades can be.
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone know if PFF has access to the coaches film before the general public? I ask because if they are handing out grades for QB/WR/DB before they can see the coaches film, then I question how accurate those grades can be.

I've wondered the same thing myself. I'm not sure.

One thing I noticed is that they change the grades a bit later in the week. My feeling is that they put out the grades quickly based off the TV broadcast, and then when the coaches film is released, they tweak it for better accuracy.

I've wondered the same thing myself. I'm not sure.

One thing I noticed is that they change the grades a bit later in the week. My feeling is that they put out the grades quickly based off the TV broadcast, and then when the coaches film is released, they tweak it for better accuracy.

Or they get a public outcry and then they change them.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Or they get a public outcry and then they change them.

Could be that too. Like when Rodgers threw for 333 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, and got a NEGATIVE GRADE. lol

This week they graded Kap negatively too. Their reasoning because he missed a few throws, and almost threw a pick. Really? What about the plays he DID make? Seems like PFF graders are a lot like the common fan. Obsess over the negative, zero credit for the positives.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM ]
I have always thought PFF grading was opinion posing as statics. The individual equivalent of power rankings. Good to see that opinion all but confirmed.
They do change their grades along the way so it may be due to waiting for the coaches film. Or complaints... or just for the heck of it to mess with fans.

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I have always thought PFF grading was opinion posing as statics. The individual equivalent of power rankings. Good to see that opinion all but confirmed.
PFF tried to analyze a lot of variables but it's impossible to be accurate...still too many things left out. To some extent the more you account for variables the more bias slips into the equation. Did the QB hold the ball too long? Yes if he's sacked, no if he throws a TD... This might be why they eliminated the premium stats...too many complaints and readjustments.
  • thl408
Thanks guys. I asked because I saw Kap was given a grade before the all22 was made available. So either PFF is a partner of the NFL, which gives them access to the all22 before the general public has it, or they are giving out grades to QBs with just the broadcast view, which is impossible to do accurately.
Gave Kap a -1 against the Ravens and a -1.5 against the Giants. Ridiculous.

Could be that too. Like when Rodgers threw for 333 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs, and got a NEGATIVE GRADE. lol

This week they graded Kap negatively too. Their reasoning because he missed a few throws, and almost threw a pick. Really? What about the plays he DID make? Seems like PFF graders are a lot like the common fan. Obsess over the negative, zero credit for the positives.

Rodgers got a negative grade for that....well then PFF is ridiculous. I will no longer give any weight to PFF grades....simply makes no sense that a QB can throw for 300 and 5 tds and receive a negative grade.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Rodgers got a negative grade for that....well then PFF is ridiculous. I will no longer give any weight to PFF grades....simply makes no sense that a QB can throw for 300 and 5 tds and receive a negative grade.

They corrected it but whether they realized the error or responded to feedback matters to me. My major concern about their process, or about what their use to be, is that they don't always have multiple graders and then cumulate the grades. They have someone grade and then send it up a grading review process. It's always better to have several independent graders, take an average and then review. They may have wound up with reviewers just confirming a bad score without really being critical.
if there's one reason to fire Baalke its that everyone and their mom knows that PFF graded Devey and Pears like bottom of the barrel s**t last year and he went out and got them anyways to start

why
Share 49ersWebzone