There are 234 users in the forums

La'el Collins

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Full article : http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/15/lael-collins-nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-murder-investigation/
That was a tremendous article, thanks for posting.

That was really well-played by his agent. I have to say that I'm shocked that nobody took a 7th-round flyer on him. I said that I would have (although, as an armchair GM, it's easy to make bold claims; if I were actually in Baalke's shoes, perhaps I would've done it differently). It just seemed so implausible to me that he would actually sit out. I couldn't stop thinking about Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams, and how awful it turned out for both of them. (Yes, they both got drafted high the following year, but both ended up being colossal busts.)

In hindsight, it looks like Baalke -- and every team, for that matter -- missed a golden opportunity. You've really got to tip your hat to his agent. He sold this, and he sold it hard. That's some next-level bluffing on his part.

Hate to say it but I tip my cap to the Cowboys for their smart recruiting pitch...players, coaches, Jerry's mansion.

Great bluff too by the agent, but teams did the right thing by not spending that 7th because if he is not bluffing that is one less player who WANTS to be on your roster coming in to compete. It was a toss up as to what their true intentions were at that time. And your also taking a player who could be charged or indicted, which is a risky for PR, and hard to get your owner to sign off on that. Like you said much easier for an armchair GM to make bold claims than for an actual GM to go forward with making that selection.
Easy call to take him in the 5th thru 7th. We took a punter. Collins would possible start for us this year. Chicken move by us, and 32 others. Even if guilty, we lose a guy in a spot that seldom makes the team anyway. He would have been our best selection, possibly.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Easy call to take him in the 5th thru 7th. We took a punter. Collins would possible start for us this year. Chicken move by us, and 32 others. Even if guilty, we lose a guy in a spot that seldom makes the team anyway. He would have been our best selection, possibly.

And if guilty you have a PR nightmare. A PR nightmare is exactly what the team who leads the NFL in arrests as of late needs. An easy call for an armchair GM, sure. Is that an easy call for a real life professional GM of an actual NFL franchise or an owner ?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Murphys1:

And if guilty you have a PR nightmare. A PR nightmare is exactly what the team who leads the NFL in arrests as of late needs. An easy call for an armchair GM, sure. Is that an easy call for a real life professional GM of an actual NFL franchise or an owner ?

This. We couldn't make that move. Too much has happened.
I don't think it was an easy call at all, and it would have been a tough business decision...but you could have played the "this is America...innocent until proven guilty" card. Which is true. There is a great chance that this guy is simply a victim of circumstances. I would have bet on him. If wrong... if right...
Has he signed w/anyone yet??
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Has he signed w/anyone yet??

really lol?
Share 49ersWebzone