LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Mariota

I'm looking at virtually all these Mock drafts that writers and sites are putting up. A couple of them have Mariota sliding to the Chiefs. I know it is like next to impossible for him to fall that far, but if he were sliding down, I know the Eagles and Chip Kelly covet him enormously. If Mariota was there for us at 15, how much and what could we expect to get from the Eagles to trade the 15th pick with Mariota available? Do we only want picks, do we want players as well? What say you?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Just wondering....

with all this spread option offenes, and the wide spread or even the pistol formation producing QBs in the NFL.. how are these new QBs different than Hawaii's Run N Shoot's Colt Brennan??
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I'm looking at virtually all these Mock drafts that writers and sites are putting up. A couple of them have Mariota sliding to the Chiefs. I know it is like next to impossible for him to fall that far, but if he were sliding down, I know the Eagles and Chip Kelly covet him enormously. If Mariota was there for us at 15, how much and what could we expect to get from the Eagles to trade the 15th pick with Mariota available? Do we only want picks, do we want players as well? What say you?

I read a rumor a while ago about the Eagles trying to trade QB Nick Foles for the Rams 2nd round pick. So if that trade did happen, i would expect the 49ers to get eagles 1st round pick, rams 2nd round pick, eagles 3rd round pick, eagles 5th round pick (2016)

Of course this is all fun speculation tho
Agreed, as much as we need a true #1 WR, or some D-line help in the 1st round, if Mariota some how was still there, I think we'd have to trade back, assuming the Eagles are truly locked in on getting him if possible.
This is ridiculous if Marriota even fell to 10... The Eagles would jump and get him... No way they wait til 15... And no way they give up a 1,2,3 and 5 to move from 20 to 15...
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
This is ridiculous if Marriota even fell to 10... The Eagles would jump and get him... No way they wait til 15... And no way they give up a 1,2,3 and 5 to move from 20 to 15...

This. If the Eagles wanted Mariota badly enough to give up a 1, 2, 3, and 5 to get him, they would be able to do so to trade up to 10 or even higher. The value we could get trading down may vary slightly depending on who is available at 15, but it doesn't vary that much because other teams can trade up or down too. If Mariota somehow falls to 15, it's because the teams drafting before then don't value him that highly and the teams drafting later don't value him highly enough to trade up for him (not saying this will happen).
I agree that you would think the Eagles would move up if Mariota starts sliding past 6. I just thought I'd bring it up, because I've seen on a couple mocks that Mariota slides to the Chiefs. I know it's extremely unlikely that he slides out of the top 10, let alone the top 6.
mariota sliding that far is ridiculous.
The Titans, Bucs, jets, and Redskins would all have to pass on him and IMO that won't happen.
Mariota will be a top 5 pick
Originally posted by 9moon:
Just wondering....

with all this spread option offenes, and the wide spread or even the pistol formation producing QBs in the NFL.. how are these new QBs different than Hawaii's Run N Shoot's Colt Brennan??

Better throwing ability, better at commanding an offense and scanning the field
I'm a Ducks fan, and don't really see how Mariota is better than Kaepernick. They are equal in terms of mobility and throwing on the run. Both have good arms, but Mariota is just as unproven as a pocket passer as Kap was coming into the league. One advantage in having him is that we could cut Kap and play with Mariota's cheap rookie contract for awhile.

Member Milestone: This is post number 2,100 for Quest4six.
Originally posted by Trath44:
I'm a Ducks fan, and don't really see how Mariota is better than Kaepernick. They are equal in terms of mobility and throwing on the run. Both have good arms, but Mariota is just as unproven as a pocket passer as Kap was coming into the league. One advantage in having him is that we could cut Kap and play with Mariota's cheap rookie contract for awhile.

Mariota is a lot more decisive when throwing the ball.
Kap squeezes lots of throws and is able to hit guys in a small window.
Mariota reads what the defense gives him and is able to adjust alot better than Kap. Personally I think Mariota is the real deal, but I think hes more like Wilson than Kap/
Draft him then trade him to Denver
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Mariota is a lot more decisive when throwing the ball.
Kap squeezes lots of throws and is able to hit guys in a small window.
Mariota reads what the defense gives him and is able to adjust alot better than Kap. Personally I think Mariota is the real deal, but I think hes more like Wilson than Kap/

Those NFL skills are not really tested in the Ducks offense. The reason Duck QBs don't throw many picks is because their offense generates wide open recievers and they don't many chances throwing into tight windows. And no, I'd say he's much more like Kap. What sets Wilson apart is how quick he is in short spaces. Marcus is a long strider with great top end speed.
Originally posted by Trath44:
Those NFL skills are not really tested in the Ducks offense. The reason Duck QBs don't throw many picks is because their offense generates wide open recievers and they don't many chances throwing into tight windows. And no, I'd say he's much more like Kap. What sets Wilson apart is how quick he is in short spaces. Marcus is a long strider with great top end speed.

I agree with you to an extent - Mariota did not have to throw the ball into tight windows nearly as often as some other QB prospects like Winston and struggled with accuracy at times despite what the statistics say. It's harder to project him as a NFL QB because he won't have the same QB friendly system and he will be forced to make tougher throws.

What sets Wilson apart is also his presence/awareness in the pocket and ability to keep his eyes downfield while he's scrambling around. I see more of that in Mariota than I do in Kaepernick (neither one will ever have the escapability and poise that Wilson has though). Mariota is a similar athlete to Kaepernick in terms of top end speed but he scrambles to throw a little more often. Kap is physically stronger and has a bigger arm, but he hasn't progressed as much as we were all hoping.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Just wondering....

Ask June Jones / Timmy Chang
Share 49ersWebzone