Trade for Justin Blackmon

Shop 49ers game tickets

Trade for Justin Blackmon

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Yes to this trade. Ideally nothing higher than a 5th round pick.

Depends on his contract though.

Rookie deal.

Was his contract prior to the rookie wage scale or after? That makes a big difference!

"Justin Blackmon signed a 4 year / $18,512,010 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including a $11,903,272 signing bonus, $18,512,010 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $4,628,003."

He has a $2.9M base salary this year. Basically, half what Boldin will make in base salary this season.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't see the incentive for the Jags to trade him. Especially if it's only for a 5th round pick (or worse). They have a shot to have a good season (by their standards) with Blackmon in the fold. And they've invested way too much in his rehab to give him up for a 5th round pick. Moreover, if he can keep his life in order, the Jags can likely sign him this offseason for a bargain basement deal. I can't imagine another franchise, in today's NFL, willing to make a big money investment in a player like this next offseason.
Why not draft DGB instead. You're taking a chance on character, but he's a lot cheaper as a rookie, he's bigger and he may be in the same speed zone.
Originally posted by crake49:
Why not draft DGB instead. You're taking a chance on character, but he's a lot cheaper as a rookie, he's bigger and he may be in the same speed zone.

JB has proven he can succeed at the pro level with a crap team. DGB has proven nothing other than he's a big dude who is fairly agile. One was a 1st round pick and the most obvious talent of his draft...DGB is a bunch of ???s
Originally posted by Jakemall:
JB has proven he can succeed at the pro level with a crap team. DGB has proven nothing other than he's a big dude who is fairly agile. One was a 1st round pick and the most obvious talent of his draft...DGB is a bunch of ???s

Yes, but JB is much more expensive and has proven that there are some ???s about him as well. The only thing I'll keep saying about DGB is that he has Calvin Johnson size and possibly speed as well. When he lines up, he looks like an absolute beast. I know he'd be a risk, but I think his character problems are over-blown.
Former Tampa GM Mark Dominik admitted that in 2012, the Buccaneers dispatched a scout to Justin Blackmon's favorite college bar, to see just how often the potential draft pick dropped by.

Dominik made the admission on ESPN radio this morning, and said it was a special circumstance—the Bucs were interested in the talented Oklahoma State receiver, but had concerns about a series of minor incidents through his college career, including one DUI arrest.

"We found out there was a bar called the Cricket Inn or the Cricket, which was a popular bar there in Oklahoma State," said Dominik. "He [the scout] sat there for one week, went in at 3 o'clock every day and stayed until 11 o'clock at night. That was his job, and we checked how many times did Justin Blackmon come in? And he came in too many times and we took him off our board."

http://deadspin.com/former-bucs-gm-we-spied-on-justin-blackmons-favorite-b-1695292487?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
Originally posted by crake49:
Yes, but JB is much more expensive and has proven that there are some ???s about him as well. The only thing I'll keep saying about DGB is that he has Calvin Johnson size and possibly speed as well. When he lines up, he looks like an absolute beast. I know he'd be a risk, but I think his character problems are over-blown.

No. No, no, no, no , no
Not even close

Calvin ran a 4.35 40 at his combine, DGB ran a 4.49
This is it broken down into splits
Calvin DGB
10 yards 1.55 1.60
20 yards 2.58 2.66

Calvin had a vertical jump of 42 inches, DGB couldn't even break 34
Calvin broad jumped 11feet 7 inches, DGB jumped 9feet 9 inches

DGB is not the athlete Calvin is, the ONLY thing they have in common is their height.
DGB compares more to Justin Hunter
Blackmon is a damn fool and we shouldn't waste time or money on him.
he's a clown, no thanks
Ok baalke screwed up big time in the draft ..but I do think he founds some gems ..blankey from duke looks like he is a sleeper ...but let's be honest boldin is on his last leg ..patton is overrated..elington is a slot receiver ...how about we trade for Justin Blackmon ...I know he had been a head case but put in perspective..that his year away from football ..have you heard any negative situation..maybe a chance in scenery would be a plus in a change of attitude

Where have you been all off season?

#winning with class

/thread
Lol ...
You think he can't behave in Jacksonville but can behave in San Francisco?
Nope. No calls.
Hmmmm ..ok Jacksonville is different from San Fran ...you think the players from last season really want to a losing season again if Blackmon was traded & he had the guidance of a veteran team ..& the missing piece of kicking seattle ass would not not excell over here ???
Share 49ersWebzone