LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

NFL WITH CLASS

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
A space to keep track of players and teams that have acted with little or no class.

Inspired by the Atlanta Falcons and Cleveland Browns.

1. Falcons owner: Artificial noise was 'wrong'

Speaking Tuesday, Falcons owner Arthur Blank appeared to admit the team pumped artificial noise into its 2013-14 home games.

''It's not really a fine line,'' Blank said. ''I think what we've done in 2013 and 2014 was wrong. Anything that affects the competitive balance and fairness on the field, we're opposed to." Blank must know the league has irrefutable evidence, and is trying to get out in front of the apology game.

The Falcons are subject to both a hefty fine and loss of draft picks. Blank's contriteness could level down the punishment, however.

Source: Associated Press
Feb 3 - 5:04 PM

2. Browns looking at steep penalties for TextGate
The Browns could be fined and docked a draft pick, while GM Ray Farmer is facing a multi-game suspension as a result of "TextGate."

The Browns are having one heck of a start to the offseason. Johnny Manziel is in rehab, Josh Gordon has been banned for one year, and now the team is staring at stiff penalties because a front-office member -- suspected to be Farmer -- was texting coaches on the sidelines during games this past season.

The NFL is expected to wrap up its investigation into the matter either this week or next.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Feb 4 - 12:31 PM

3. Packers NT Guion arrested on felony charges

Packers NT Letroy Guion was arrested for felony possession of a firearm and marijuana in Starke, Fla. on Tuesday night.

It's apparently the NFL offseason. Three players were arrested overnight, including Colts ILB D'Qwell Jackson (assault) and Cowboys RB Joseph Randle (drugs). Guion was a steal for Packers GM Ted Thompon this past season, as he started all 18 games at nose tackle. The Packers had been in discussions to lock Guion up with a long-term deal before he hits free agency next month.
Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Feb 4 - 11:48 AM

Player OutlookGame LogCareer StatsDraft Advice
Cowboys RB Randle arrested on drug charges

4. Cowboys RB Joseph Randle was arrested on drug charges in Wichita, Kan. on Wednesday morning.

Details remain unknown, but this is Randle's second arrest in the past four months. As you may recall, Randle was jailed for stealing underwear back in October. This is obviously a much more serious arrest. With DeMarco Murray's Cowboys future uncertain, Randle isn't helping himself by breaking the law.
Source: KAKE Wichita
Feb 4 - 11:40 AM

5. Colts LB D'Qwell Jackson arrested for assault

Colts ILB D'Qwell Jackson was arrested for assault in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday night.

Jackson allegedly punched a pizza delivery boy in the face and in the back of the head in a fight over a parking spot.

You can't make this stuff up. Jackson is being charged with simple assault. The Colts are on a record pace for off-field issues and have become the new Bengals.

Jackson, 31, started all 19 games for the Colts this past season, playing over 1000 snaps. He was flamed in coverage. Jackson signed a four-year, $22 million deal with the Colts last March.
Source: ABC Washington
Feb 4 - 10:21 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/306587/browns-looking-at-steep-penalties-for-textgate
See Aldon Smith thread.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Three integrity of the game investigations underway.

"Textgate'' (Farmer and the Browns) was the first of three scandals that have erupted over the past month that impact the integrity of the game, and the NFL is taking all three very seriously.

The second was "Deflategate,'' the controversy over the Patriots deflating footballs during their AFC Championship Game victory over the Colts.

And the third was the Falcons pumping artificial crowd noise into the Georgia Dome over the past two seasons, which owner Arthur Blank admitted to on Tuesday.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_ray_farmer_su.html
  • thl408
Originally posted by buck:
A space to keep track of players and teams that have acted with little or no class.

The Browns could be fined and docked a draft pick, while GM Ray Farmer is facing a multi-game suspension as a result of "TextGate."

The Browns are having one heck of a start to the offseason. Johnny Manziel is in rehab, Josh Gordon has been banned for one year, and now the team is staring at stiff penalties because a front-office member -- suspected to be Farmer -- was texting coaches on the sidelines during games this past season.

The NFL is expected to wrap up its investigation into the matter either this week or next.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/306587/browns-looking-at-steep-penalties-for-textgate

Is it just me or is textgate not that big a deal? It's not cool for a non-coach to suggest plays, but it isn't a case of no class, or a poor-image-for-the-league type of deal. It's just a organization that is poorly run. That's it. No one is hurt. It's not cheating. Am I missing something?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
See Aldon Smith thread.

Now, I am afraid to look.

Thread is for current acts of class.

I do not want to see Aldon in this thread.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by buck:

Is it just me or is textgate not that big a deal? It's not cool for a non-coach to suggest plays, but it isn't a case of no class, or a poor-image-for-the-league type of deal. It's just a organization that is poorly run. That's it. No one is hurt. It's not cheating. Am I missing something?

Violating the rules enough for a coach to face suspension or the team to lose draft picks could be considered as acting with no class.

I included it, but that is only my opinion. May be I am being unfair to the Browns.

Seattle and the Patriots have won superbowls in the last two years.

Screw class. It is overrated.
No 49ers have been arrested in Tomsula's tenure. LOL.
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
No 49ers have been arrested in Tomsula's tenure. LOL.

And don't forget,,,Tomsula is undefeated 1-0 lol
Can someone enlighten me regarding "textgate"?

How exactly is that an issue when plays are literally photographed, recorded, and dissected for player analysis during games?

• thl408
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

How exactly is that an issue when plays are literally photographed, recorded, and dissected for player analysis during games?

That's what I'm sayin. I mean, it's bad form for GMs to text coaches during the game to suggest playcalls, but it's not cheating. It's not damaging the integrity of the game. It's just an unprofessional manner for how a team should be run, but it should be handled internally. The league shouldn't penalize the Browns for having a meddling GM that thinks he knows more than a coach when it comes to playcalling.

That's what I'm sayin. I mean, it's bad form for GMs to text coaches during the game to suggest playcalls, but it's not cheating. It's not damaging the integrity of the game. It's just an unprofessional manner for how a team should be run, but it should be handled internally. The league shouldn't penalize the Browns for having a meddling GM that thinks he knows more than a coach when it comes to playcalling.

My sentiments exactly! And CLEARLY it hasn't exactly given the Browns any sort of edge. I mean, just ask this guy!

• buck
  • Veteran

I do not know if the text rules make sense or not. The article I read described the matter as an"integrity of the game investigation." The article could have been wrong.

Apparently, it is against the rules and the league could seriously penalize the Browns for violating the rule. The general manager, who should know it is against the rules, decides to go ahead and break the rules. I do not think he could have sent texts by accident.

It really does not seem that complicated. Know the rules. Follow the rules.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 4, 2015 at 1:04 PM ]
Of all the things the NFL should be worrying about and investigating they go after a GM that was texting coaches? So f**king retarded. They have much bigger issues to deal with.
I hate all this emphasis on class. Its a stupid talking point from Jed York, who I'd like to punch in his billion dollar face.
Share 49ersWebzone