LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Marshawn vs. Payton

Shop 49ers game tickets
Both are great players, but you have to go with Walter Payton.
Lynch is also hit his prime while he was the feature back on a good team during a multi back era… elevating his hype quite a bit. Its hard for me to elevate him over Gore and Steven Jackson when they were in their prime. Great power back but people are kind of putting him in a status he hasn't fully earned yet (similar to the midget).
Originally posted by Geeked:
Hmmm, Payton made near impossible to remember the name of any other RB in the 80's without taking time to think.... Lynch, not so much.

By the way, Roger Craig says Hi
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Geeked:
Hmmm, Payton made near impossible to remember the name of any other RB in the 80's without taking time to think.... Lynch, not so much.

By the way, Roger Craig says Hi

So does Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, John Riggins and Bo Jackson.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Payton, top 5, easily.

Lynch, top 25, maybe?
Payton (Sweetness) is hands down, the all-around better RB.
Originally posted by trooper49:
How great can Lynch be if Carroll didnt even trust him to make 1 yard to win the SB.

Awful logic,

How great could Gore be if they didn't trust him to run it in our sb on the goal line?
better question is marshawn vs those elite 80's D's in the nfc
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
How great can Lynch be if Carroll didnt even trust him to make 1 yard to win the SB.

Awful logic,

How great could Gore be if they didn't trust him to run it in our sb on the goal line?

My comment is more an indignation at the coaches rather than the greatness of the player. Apparently, the head coach in both situations didnt have that much faith in his running back(Lynch, Gore). If they did, why on earth would you risk passing it? Neither coach, it seems to me, thought his running back could punch it in. If they did, they would have handed the ball to him. All I can go by is what I see. Neither Carroll or Harbaugh thought their man was great enough to give them the ball.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by midrdan:
Lynch has established himself as the toughest RB of the past decade and has good all around skills, but Payton is probably top-5 all time. But I'd take Barry Sanders over either of them.

Yeah, I think Sanders is #1, followed closely by Sir Walter...and even though I never saw him play, I know and appreciate how great Jim Brown was. But he did it in an era when he was bigger than most linemen, before advanced training techniques and specialization. He still would have been great today, but I don't think near the iconic level he reached in his day. And Lynch is good, but he's not even in the conversation.

Spot on.

Originally posted by gold49er2183:

Awful logic,

I think it was reported that Gore was gassed after carrying the team down to the 5 yard line, which is why they ran with LMJ on first down. Had he not been gassed, would Roman and Harbaugh have run it with him? I think so, but probably only once and if it didn't work, they'd throw those incompletions.
Putting Lynch in a discussion with Walter is an insult to Walter. Walter was a gentleman. Lynch is an anti-establishment thug. And if I had to guess there is a little more to those Skittles than just plain sugar. With the way the Seahacks and their players are so anti-NFL, it would not surprise me if more of them have not figured out way to skirt the NFL testing policy. I've seen players who play angry and with extra energy but I am the only one who sees so many on one team? This isn't my general dislike of the Seahacks, its a simple observation.
Running backs are a dime a dozen. Every few years there are a couple dominant rbs. This year was Murray, Lynch, and Bell. Just a few years ago it was Chris Johnson, MJD, Tomlinson. In the mid 2000s there was Holmes, Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis. What sets these rbs apart from legends like Sweetness and Jim Brown is longevity which as you can see is extremely difficult considering how beat up they get every year.

Lynch still has a few more years to see if he can keep this up. The only rb in recent years I think could be up there is Tomlinson.

Also, just a side note, IMO Bo Jackson had the potential of being the best ever.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Putting Lynch in a discussion with Walter is an insult to Walter. Walter was a gentleman. Lynch is an anti-establishment thug. And if I had to guess there is a little more to those Skittles than just plain sugar. With the way the Seahacks and their players are so anti-NFL, it would not surprise me if more of them have not figured out way to skirt the NFL testing policy. I've seen players who play angry and with extra energy but I am the only one who sees so many on one team? This isn't my general dislike of the Seahacks, its a simple observation.

I guess you don't know Lynch then. Lynch is constantly pouring his heart and wallet into the city of Oakland. He helps the kids, the poor, the unfortunate, etc..
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:

I guess you don't know Lynch then. Lynch is constantly pouring his heart and wallet into the city of Oakland. He helps the kids, the poor, the unfortunate, etc..
only cause his contract says to give to charity/Community
Share 49ersWebzone