There are 186 users in the forums

Marshawn vs. Payton

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm new to this site, but I want to get some opinions about this. I'm amazed at what Marshawn does. He does stuff that no other back around does. When I watch Payton's highlights, they look pretty comparable, and he didn't get the benefit of HD-tv. I want to know what the WZ thinks about Marshawn vs Payton.
Walter Payton all day. Lynch is a great player, but Payton is one of the elite of the elite to ever play the game. His name will last forever to me, much like Montana, Rice, Lott, Unitas, Jim Brown, LT, Reggie White. Payton was that special to me.
Payton doesn't take himself out after every run
Payton was a better RB and also a great man.

Lynch is a disgrace.
How great can Lynch be if Carroll didnt even trust him to make 1 yard to win the SB.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lynch is an enigma. period.
Payton's stats can match up with anyone. His character and the love his mates had for him puts him in a rare space.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Hmmm, Payton made near impossible to remember the name of any other RB in the 80's without taking time to think.... Lynch, not so much.
Payton. End of convo. Lynch may be a more powerful runner but Payton owns him in every other category. Also, in the 80s there was way more emphasis on the running game and stopping it.
Sweetness.

Why not both?
I don't see the similarities, one was name sweetness due to his style the other is beast mode. Payton was also much more consistent then lynch, who gets shut down for long periods of the game at times.

Look up Jamal Lewis in his 2-3 year stint of success, Lynch is a slower version with more longevity.
I think Earl Campbell is a better comparison, although there are still differences. Campbell was faster.
Lynch has established himself as the toughest RB of the past decade and has good all around skills, but Payton is probably top-5 all time. But I'd take Barry Sanders over either of them.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Lynch has established himself as the toughest RB of the past decade and has good all around skills, but Payton is probably top-5 all time. But I'd take Barry Sanders over either of them.

Yeah, I think Sanders is #1, followed closely by Sir Walter...and even though I never saw him play, I know and appreciate how great Jim Brown was. But he did it in an era when he was bigger than most linemen, before advanced training techniques and specialization. He still would have been great today, but I don't think near the iconic level he reached in his day. And Lynch is good, but he's not even in the conversation.
Share 49ersWebzone